British Passport - When did the law change?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed May 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Probably most of us have not actually read everything on the passport document that we rely on to travel to other countries.

There has been a lot of chatter recently about "Covid passports", and "Vaccine passports" and "Can I get into the local brothel" passports?

Well, here's the thing, I suggest that you are being denied entry to any other country illegally.

If you read your passport, ideally best placed if you are a French speaker, you will note that the front states:

MY God and MY Right (in French/Norman).

If you delve a bit deeper it also states in English the following:

"Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass FREELY without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary."

Your thoughts?

Jim
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: British Passport - When did the law change?

Postby Igovernor » Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:Probably most of us have not actually read everything on the passport document that we rely on to travel to other countries.

There has been a lot of chatter recently about "Covid passports", and "Vaccine passports" and "Can I get into the local brothel" passports?

Well, here's the thing, I suggest that you are being denied entry to any other country illegally.

If you read your passport, ideally best placed if you are a French speaker, you will note that the front states:

MY God and MY Right (in French/Norman).

If you delve a bit deeper it also states in English the following:

"Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass FREELY without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary."

Your thoughts?

Jim

Never changed all my passports have had the same message, but nothing on the front of my latest passport???
In fact inside there are english writing with welsh translations
Igovernor

Postby Big Hill Blue » Wed May 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Are you saying that we are not now allowed to travel freely?
Big Hill Blue

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed May 19, 2021 12:53 pm

It's nonsense waffle. The Queen can't demand all 70million + people with UK passports be allowed free entry to anywhere they please just because she's the queen.

Likewise saying "With God as my witness" doesn't actually mean you've got the backing of a higher being who's claimed to have been the creator of all known things.

Likewise, solemnly and sincerely swearing to tell the truth in court doesn't mean everyone does.
WestCoastBlue

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Are you saying that we are not now allowed to travel freely?

I am saying the exact opposite.....by law. :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby Abergavenny » Wed May 19, 2021 2:51 pm

that wording has been in british passports for many years Well over 100 years
Abergavenny

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed May 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Abergavenny wrote:that wording has been in british passports for many years Well over 100 years

Exactly....that is my point, why are they now not honouring the passport.....as you say, that has been in situ for over 100 years? :bluebird:
TheHangedMan

Postby Big Hill Blue » Wed May 19, 2021 3:12 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:that wording has been in british passports for many years Well over 100 years

Exactly....that is my point, why are they now not honouring the passport.....as you say, that has been in situ for over 100 years? :bluebird:

Is it down to the pandemic and other countries are closing borders?

If so, then we cannot simply expect entry surely?
Big Hill Blue

Postby Welshman in CA » Wed May 19, 2021 3:57 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:

Who are "they"?

You can suggest whatever you like but that doesn't make it a fact, saying that countries are now denying entry is misleading as many countries have denied entry to certain groups of people with some even requiring certain vaccines before allowing entry before now.

I get that you're trying to make a point but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe you could be clearer.
Welshman in CA

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed May 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Is it down to the pandemic and other countries are closing borders?

If so, then we cannot simply expect entry surely?

I agree BHB.......assuming the destination countries have legal laws in place to stop entry, no problem with that at all.

But if you dig deeper into their, and our, Covid panic laws they do not stand up to legal scrutiny. I am not a lawyer but the passport should do what it says on the tin. :bluebird:
TheHangedMan

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed May 19, 2021 4:13 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:

I hate to break it to you but this isn’t a new thing. Your passport doesn’t grant you immunity from the destination country’s laws. Vaccination requirements, most commonly Yellow Fever, have been a thing for decades in dozens of countries. A criminal record can deny you a visa. Certain occupations can have your visa denied.

Just because your passport has some flowery writing in it from the queen doesn’t mean anything. Try fly into Australia with some fruit. When customs/border patrol tell you to get rid of it if you want to fly, showing them your passport with a note from the Queen isn’t going to make them reconsider.
WestCoastBlue

Postby TheHangedMan » Wed May 19, 2021 6:25 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

I hate to break it to you but this isn’t a new thing. Your passport doesn’t grant you immunity from the destination country’s laws. Vaccination requirements, most commonly Yellow Fever, have been a thing for decades in dozens of countries. A criminal record can deny you a visa. Certain occupations can have your visa denied.

Just because your passport has some flowery writing in it from the queen doesn’t mean anything. Try fly into Australia with some fruit. When customs/border patrol tell you to get rid of it if you want to fly, showing them your passport with a note from the Queen isn’t going to make them reconsider.

I get it......so why do they put these words on the "passport" if they actually mean shit? And therafter, if the words on a "passport" mean nothing why are we using them?..........weird! :bluebird:
TheHangedMan

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

I get it......so why do they put these words on the "passport" if they actually mean shit? And therafter, if the words on a "passport" mean nothing why are we using them?..........weird! :bluebird:

Because it’s just flowery waffle. In this case, left over from a time when the Royal Family had an influence on foreign countries.

Other countries have similar, the American passports have the following:
“The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.”
Means shit all in reality though, once you’re on foreign soil their laws trump your passport from a different nation.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Thu May 20, 2021 7:36 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57176693

This chap had a passport. Didn't help him.
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby A Quiet Monkfish » Thu May 20, 2021 8:12 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Because it’s just flowery waffle. In this case, left over from a time when the Royal Family had an influence on foreign countries.

Other countries have similar, the American passports have the following:
“The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.”
Means shit all in reality though, once you’re on foreign soil their laws trump your passport from a different nation.

The wording does have significance. Essentially it's stating you are a UK subject, and whilst obviously having to adhere to law of the Country you are entering, nevertheless you have the protection of the UK Govt. and you are not entering illegally or are 'stateless'. The wording may seem archaic and flowery, but it's significant nevertheless.
A Quiet Monkfish

Return to General Chat