Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cash injections by Vincent Tan and club's income

Sat May 22, 2021 10:14 am

I am posting this to put out some facts in respect of queries raised by some posters as to whether Mehmet Dalman was telling the truth when he said that Vincent Tan was funding the club to the tune of £3m a month and to put right the cliam that the club has benefitted by £500m from parachute payments arising from two promotions in recent

Cash injections

The truth is that no-one outside the club`s senior management can say whether Mehmet`s claim is accurate or not.

The most recent cash flow statement filed is in the accounts for the year to 31 May 2019 which shows no cash injected by the owner but £39.5m of cash injected by loans from others which were secured by VT giving up part of the security he held over club assets. £32.3m of those other loans was used to repay Loans previously made by VT.

I can confirm that there were substantial loans introduced by VT and others in the year to 31 May 2020 but cannot disclose the actual amounts until the accounts appear on the public record at Companies House (which will happen within the next few days).
The likelihood is that much of the cash funding required from VT would have been in the current financial year to 31 May 2021 but these figures will not become public until this time next year.

Club income figures

There was a claim on here that the club had benefitted by £500m from parachute payments etc. from its two promotions to the Premier League. This figure is wildly overstated.
In the two Premier League seasons of 2013/14 and 2018/19 the total income was £83.1m and £125.2m so combined came to £208.3m. Even if you add up all of the income received in the nine seasons from 2010/11 to 2018/19 inclusive it only comes to £399m for the whole nine year period. It should also be noted that the wage bill for the same nine year period totalled ££329m , so only £70m left to cover all the other running costs of the club for nine years. No wonder it needed propping up financially.

Keith

Re: Cash injections by Vincent Tan and club` s income

Sat May 22, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks for clarifying all that, so far as is practicable at this time, Keith...

Some interesting reading and the income v wages figures certainly show where most of the money was going, why other monies were injected and why we need a drastic re-alignment this season :shock:

Sat May 22, 2021 11:33 am

Sven wrote:Thanks for clarifying all that, so far as is practicable at this time, Keith...

Some interesting reading and the income v wages figures certainly show where most of the money was going, why other monies were injected and why we need a drastic re-alignment this season :shock:

One must presume the loans are a way around ffp or some other financial situation... was reported long time ago that it's not just a simple case of swapping shares to equity? All can say is we'll need to wait until tan leaves to see what shape he leaves us in.....

Re: Cash injections by Vincent Tan and club's income

Sat May 22, 2021 11:59 am

Wages around £36.5 million a year! Wow...

Sat May 22, 2021 12:04 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Wages around £36.5 million a year! Wow...

Puts it all into perspective a little, eh? :thumbup:

Sat May 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Sven wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:Wages around £36.5 million a year! Wow...

Puts it all into perspective a little, eh? :thumbup:

Certainly does and just goes to show whoever they are if they are asking stupid money does not justify getting a contract.

Sat May 22, 2021 12:29 pm

So its like ive always said . Modern day footbal at the top of fooball pyramid all weighted toeards the players and their wages. Fuc... the fans!!! Getting to the promised land does not solve your problem then ????

You will always turn up no matter what and they know that.

Sat May 22, 2021 1:21 pm

blue lagoon wrote:So its like ive always said . Modern day footbal at the top of fooball pyramid all weighted toeards the players and their wages. Fuc... the fans!!! Getting to the promised land does not solve your problem then ????

No, money man, it doesn't; but it's like trying to educate pork with your obsession with other peoples money... :roll:

Answer me one quesion though...

Do you attend City games or not...? :?

Your use of the line (quote) "You will always turn up no matter what and they know that" suggests you don't or no longer do...

Sat May 22, 2021 1:46 pm

blue lagoon wrote:So its like ive always said . Modern day footbal at the top of fooball pyramid all weighted toeards the players and their wages. Fuc... the fans!!! Getting to the promised land does not solve your problem then ????

Is it like you've always said? I must've missed that, I didn't think you normally weighed in on these topics :shock:

Sat May 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Sven wrote:

No, money man, it doesn't; but it's like trying to educate pork with your obsession with other peoples money... :roll:

Do you attend City games or not...?

Your use of the line (quote) "You will always turn up no matter what and they know that" suggests you don't or no longer do...

Bit harsh..They guy is entitled to his opinion isn't he?

Sat May 22, 2021 1:58 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:

Is it like you've always said? I must've missed that, I didn't think you normally weighed in on these topics :shock:

Nice one... :thumbup:

Only ever the ONE thing on the B£ue £agoon's mind at any given point and at every perceived (to him) opportunity...

The poor man's Gerry McGuire...

"Give me the money...!" ;) :lol: :lol:

Sat May 22, 2021 1:59 pm

semmy wrote:
    Sven wrote:

Do you attend City games or not...?

Bit harsh..They guy is entitled to his opinion isn't he?

Clearly you've missed a fair bit...

That was being kind after some of his comments... :thumbup:

Sat May 22, 2021 2:32 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:Thanks for clarifying all that, so far as is practicable at this time, Keith...

One must presume the loans are a way around ffp or some other financial situation... was reported long time ago that it's not just a simple case of swapping shares to equity? All can say is we'll need to wait until tan leaves to see what shape he leaves us in.....

Loans have no effect on financial fair play rules , nor do conversions of debt into equity, It is only things like loan write offs that go through the profit and loss account that do.

The loans are a way of filling the cash holes that appear. either permanently because the club`s running costs (especially player wages) are too high or temporarily to pay for those costs while waiting for broadcasting money etc. to come in.

Keith

Sat May 22, 2021 2:43 pm

What?? That £500 million figure wasn’t a fact?

But didn’t it say fact at the end?

Why would anyone make up numbers?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Sat May 22, 2021 3:27 pm

Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:So its like ive always said . Modern day footbal at the top of fooball pyramid all weighted towards the players and their wages.

Fuc... the fans!!! Getting to the promised land does not solve your problem then ????

Only ever the ONE thing on the B£ue £agoon's mind at any given point and at every perceived (to him) opportunity...

There he is, Sir Sven, better than all all the rest on the forum.The bully boy ......

Yes, I am a season ticket holder . I will continue to call out the robbing bast.... and players like Tomlin who ride around on their lawn mowers and dont give a fu.... Free loading robbing bast.. Keep sticking up for the millionaires Sir..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 22, 2021 3:47 pm

blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:So its like ive always said . Modern day footbal at the top of fooball pyramid all weighted towards the players and their wages.

Fuc... the fans!!! Getting to the promised land does not solve your problem then ????

There he is, Sir Sven, better than all all the rest on the forum.The bully boy ......

Yes, I am a season ticket holder . I will continue to call out the robbing bast.... and players like Tomlin who ride around on their lawn mowers and dont give a fu.... Free loading robbing bast.. Keep sticking up for the millionaires Sir..

who exactly are you calling out ? ...clubs make offers to players and players either decline or accept those offers....
and having read your previous posts you wouldnt exactly be averse to the club offering you a few incentives...

Sat May 22, 2021 3:51 pm

skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

who exactly are you calling out ? ...clubs make offers to players and players either decline or accept those offers....
and having read your previous posts you wouldnt exactly be averse to the club offering you a few incentives...

I’d imagine a lot of our players are millionaires

Sat May 22, 2021 3:58 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

That doesn't change what Skidmin said though? The players wages are decided by the club as an acceptable amount to pay. Players/agents might kick up a fuss and demand more but even in those scenarios it's ultimately the club that agrees how much to give a player. If those wages make a player a millionaire, so be it.

Sat May 22, 2021 3:59 pm

blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I'm no better than most on here, money man, but I do know what's what and I know when someone can't see the wood for the trees; and you are in that category...

My question above was simply to clarify what I thought, i.e. that you DO attend yet chose to use words that suggested everyone else (you tend to group without actual knowledge) was guilty of attending and by default supporting the (supposed) big rip-off

It turns out, as I thought, you are amonst us and therefore by your constant bitching, one of the more hypocritical :oops:

If nothing else this thread explains how much is involved in running a 'modern' football club and how finely things are balanced for a club striving to move forard whilst balancing the books on a decreasing budget...

You call me a 'shrill' (your usual unthinking retort) if you like but you really need to wake up and smell the coffee...

This clun NEEDS a benefactor (Vincent Tan or otherwise) and it's a foitballing fact of life in the upper echelons

You have a choice to stay on the bus or get off at the next stop; but if you stay on, you are vicariously accepting the terms and conditions of the ticket...

Over to you... :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat May 22, 2021 4:06 pm

Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I'm no better than most on here, money man, but I do know what's what and I know when someone can't see the wood for the trees; and you are in that category...

My question above was simply to clarify what I thought, i.e. that you DO attend yet chose to use words that suggested everyone else (you tend to group without actual knowledge) was guilty of attending and by default supporting the (supposed) big rip-off

It turns out, as I thought, you are amonst us and therefore by your constant bitching, one of the more hypocritical :oops:

If nothing else this thread explains how much is involved in running a 'modern' football club and how finely things are balanced for a club striving to move forard whilst balancing the books on a decreasing budget...

You call me a 'shrill' (your usual unthinking retort) if you like but you really need to wake up and smell the coffee...

This clun NEEDS a benefactor (Vincent Tan or otherwise) and it's a foitballing fact of life in the upper echelons

You have a choice to stay on the bus or get off at the next stop; but if you stay on, you are vicariously accepting the terms and conditions of the ticket...

Over to you... :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Great post.

I would say the same about when the rebrand occurred.

Sat May 22, 2021 4:14 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

yes they are but whats your point.... i honestly have zero idea what your point is... you say the same things over and over without actually explaining your gripe... should our club offer much smaller wages and if so to what end ..?

Sat May 22, 2021 4:16 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

yes they are but whats your point.... i honestly have zero idea what your point is... you say the same things over and over without actually explaining your gripe... should our club offer much smaller wages and if so to what end ..?

Aimed at the chap before about keep sticking up for millionaires.

I didn’t get his point.

Sat May 22, 2021 4:21 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I'd be surprised if you cannot see his point because it is a valid one...

By default anyone who stayed (reluctantly or otherwise) after the rebrand was equally as accepting of the terms and/or conditions

Some walked away, whilst some (me incuded) decided our love for the CLUB was bigger than antvtemporary custodian and his ultimatelt reversible whims

We didn't have to like it but by attending we vicariously accepted it, no matter how much we protest that wasn't the case...

Sat May 22, 2021 4:23 pm

maccydee wrote:What?? That £500 million figure wasn’t a fact?

But didn’t it say fact at the end?

Why would anyone make up numbers?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Its jumped! Usual figure guessed at was £400m, which I always doubted given the bre as kdown of payments, and recently it was upped(and backed by some) to £500m ,????
Its been said numerous times. That warnock & McKay brought in over ,£400m onto the club by gaining promotion.Now its clear that its nowhere near these figures, that have been stated as "fact" many, many times.
Is/was it said to discredit the owner/committee? Who knows, bit now we can see that over last 9 seasons, we havent recieved anywhere near those way off "guestinmates" quoted previously.
I posted in reply to ,"where is this years 35m parachute payment gone, that that would cover wages of players alone....maybe just!
Rinning a club isnt as cheap as some like to think,obviously.

Sat May 22, 2021 4:23 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I didn’t get his point.

yes sorry . i did think my reply was to blue lagoon.... but i really didnt get the some players are millionaires remark....
to be competitive offers of wages have to be competitive and if that makes players millionaires .. so be it..its where we are..

Sat May 22, 2021 4:32 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I didn’t get his point.

yes sorry . i did think my reply was to blue lagoon.... but i really didnt get the some players are millionaires remark....
to be competitive offers of wages have to be competitive and if that makes players millionaires .. so be it..its where we are..

:thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat May 22, 2021 4:37 pm

Great Post Keith and backed my thoughts in terms of the alleged 500m we have received to be way off. Running any football club is an expensive hobby which Tan has clearly found out.

Since Sam Hammam drove us to the bring or financial ruin all I have ever wanted.was the club to be as close to financial stability as possible. What league we were playing I don't care.

The same fans moan at the club about debt and the club not spending money....cake and eat it always comes to my mind with some supporters.

Whether Tan is putting 3m in I feel will be possible as we have gone through a pandemic so makes.sense when the wage bill is still high. Club need keep reduce wage bill and pick up bargains like ng.

Watching Lincoln City just now they have a fair few bright young players.

Sat May 22, 2021 4:37 pm

Let face it every Club in the championship are in the shit and pay most of there income out in wages, something has to be done a wage cap would be sensible

Sat May 22, 2021 4:45 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Great Post Keith and backed my thoughts in terms of the alleged 500m we have received to be way off. Running any football club is an expensive hobby which Tan has clearly found out.

Since Sam Hammam drove us to the bring or financial ruin all I have ever wanted.was the club to be as close to financial stability as possible. What league we were playing I don't care.

The same fans moan at the club about debt and the club not spending money....cake and eat it always comes to my mind with some supporters.

Whether Tan is putting 3m in I feel will be possible as we have gone through a pandemic so makes.sense when the wage bill is still high. Club need keep reduce wage bill and pick up bargains like ng.

With respect, I think you need to rethink your condemnation of Sam. He simply ran out of time and money to finish the superb job he started; and that is a big part of why people like Blue Lagoon need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's more money intense now than it was even 10 years ago...

We have a choice to play or fold our hand; and thankfully, with the current owner we can far better afford to stay in the game than most...

Having said that, I'd have a certain financially stable Lebanese buisnessman back tomorrow

Can you imagine the buzz...? :D :ayatollah:

Sat May 22, 2021 5:09 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Great Post Keith and backed my thoughts in terms of the alleged 500m we have received to be way off. Running any football club is an expensive hobby which Tan has clearly found out.

well without Sam....im not sure we would have a club at all....much is said about how VT saved us from being wound up, which is true....but where exactly were we prior to SH... relegated to the bottom division for the 4th time..9 of the previous 14 seasons were spent there ..we had become a 4th division club mate... was that the bottom of the downward spiral or was there worse to come ? and our attendances during that period were the worse in the clubs history.... no money, no crowds..we were a poor season or one big bill away from obscurity then as well...