Sky Sports: ' Sol Bamba return to playing football '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sun May 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Sol Bamba: Cardiff defender discusses return to action, plan to play another year and aims to become a manager

Sol Bamba tells Sky Sports News he plans to play one more season and is in talks with Cardiff about extending his deal, which expires this summer; 'I'd like to go out on my own terms if I can', says Bamba, who plans to pursue a career in coaching when he retires

Sunday 23rd May 2021

Cardiff's Sol Bamba opens up about the challenges he faced during his recovery from cancer and looks ahead to the future

Cardiff City defender Sol Bamba says returning to action after five months out with cancer was the "best 10 seconds of my career".

The 36-year-old announced on Thursday he was cancer free after being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in December.

Bamba underwent several rounds of chemotherapy and this month came on as a late substitute in Cardiff's home draw with Rotherham on the final day of the Sky Bet Championship season, playing the final few seconds.

Bamba was on the set of Sky Sports News for the first time since getting the all clear

"That was huge, that was very emotional for me and the family because after everything we went through we never thought I would have come back that early and be able to play a game this season," Bamba told Sky Sports News.

"I was really moved, and it was only 10 seconds, but it was the best 10 seconds of my career. I can't praise the club enough, I can't praise you guys enough for all the support I had because like I said, without this I wouldn't be where I am now.

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Cardiff City and Rotherham United
"You can't do that on your own. You need friends, you need support, and I had that a lot, so it was very important for me."

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW THIS ADVERT

Sol Bamba reveals he is cancer free

Sol Bamba on 'pure joy' of playing return after cancer recovery

Bamba is committed to continuing his career as a player for one more season and is in talks with Cardiff about renewing his deal, which is set to expire this summer.

SOL BAMBA:

Cardiff City defender Sol Bamba says the support he received from around the world was a big help during his recovery from cancer.

"The plan is to carry on, that's for sure," he added.

"I want to do another year. I said it before, I'd like to go out on my own terms if I can. I feel fit, I've been training four months and a half now with the first team so obviously doing the pre-season will be massive.

"If I do a pre-season, I'll be even fitter, so that's the plan. We are talking with the club, hopefully we are going to reach an agreement, but I'm definitely going to do another year."

Asked if he will pursue coaching when his career is over, Bamba said: "Absolutely that's the plan. Hopefully it will go as well as my plan before.

"But you never know, when you go into coaching a lot of things can happen. But I just want to learn and I want to stay in the game, so I'll do one more year as a player while still learning the coaching and after that I'll be doing the coaching and hopefully management one day."
Attachments
skysports-sol-bamba-pete-graves_5390762.jpg
skysports-sol-bamba-pete-graves_5390762.jpg (193.17 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Sky Sports: ' Sol Bamba return to playing football '

Postby Forever Blue » Sun May 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Sol Bamba: Cardiff defender discusses return to action, plan to play another year and aims to become a manager

Sol Bamba tells Sky Sports News he plans to play one more season and is in talks with Cardiff about extending his deal, which expires this summer; 'I'd like to go out on my own terms if I can', says Bamba, who plans to pursue a career in coaching when he retires

SOL BAMBA:

Cardiff City defender Sol Bamba says returning to action after five months out with cancer was the "best 10 seconds of my career".

The 36-year-old announced on Thursday he was cancer free after being diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in December.

"That was huge, that was very emotional for me and the family because after everything we went through we never thought I would have come back that early and be able to play a game this season," Bamba told Sky Sports News.

"I was really moved, and it was only 10 seconds, but it was the best 10 seconds of my career. I can't praise the club enough, I can't praise you guys enough for all the support I had because like I said, without this I wouldn't be where I am now.

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Cardiff City and Rotherham United
"You can't do that on your own. You need friends, you need support, and I had that a lot, so it was very important for me."

"I want to do another year. I said it before, I'd like to go out on my own terms if I can. I feel fit, I've been training four months and a half now with the first team so obviously doing the pre-season will be massive.

"If I do a pre-season, I'll be even fitter, so that's the plan. We are talking with the club, hopefully we are going to reach an agreement, but I'm definitely going to do another year."

Asked if he will pursue coaching when his career is over, Bamba said: "Absolutely that's the plan. Hopefully it will go as well as my plan before.

"But you never know, when you go into coaching a lot of things can happen. But I just want to learn and I want to stay in the game, so I'll do one more year as a player while still learning the coaching and after that I'll be doing the coaching and hopefully management one day."

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sun May 23, 2021 12:41 pm

SOL BAMBA:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Sun May 23, 2021 1:07 pm

Let's do it for Sol Bamba, give him a new contract and support him through his (likely) final year as a player...

An intelligent man with personality and a depth of knowledge, I feel he has a big future away from playing and Cardiff City FC should invest in that future... :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat