Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Latest rumour - Martyn Waghorn

Mon May 24, 2021 11:12 am

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... e-waghorn/

I mean, I would prefer him over the guy from Accrington.

Free transfer for a start - instead of minimum £1.5mill
Proven at Championship level
30 goals in 123 appearances either at Championship/Premiership/Scottish Premiership

Do I think that he would be a good signing? He would be an improvement on Vassell & Harris IMO so yes worth a go if wages aren't too high

Re: Latest rumour - Martyn Waghorn

Mon May 24, 2021 11:32 am

Walesonline now reporting as well

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... y-20664855

Mon May 24, 2021 11:41 am

Would be a decent signing, however not sure how wise it’d be if we’re cost cutting. Maybe the wages would be better spent elsewhere :?:

Mon May 24, 2021 12:08 pm

derynglas wrote:Would be a decent signing, however not sure how wise it’d be if we’re cost cutting. Maybe the wages would be better spent elsewhere :?:

Like Waghorn,is a decent player at this level but not sure we need him with Moore and Collins. That said if we can get him on a free would be a decent squad player.

Mon May 24, 2021 12:13 pm

Crayfish wrote:
derynglas wrote:Would be a decent signing, however not sure how wise it’d be if we’re cost cutting. Maybe the wages would be better spent elsewhere :?:

Like Waghorn,is a decent player at this level but not sure we need him with Moore and Collins. That said if we can get him on a free would be a decent squad player.

Depends on the formation McCarthy intends playing next season.

Last season he had to play the system that fitted the players he inherited, next season he may want to go with two strikers, in which case we're going to need 3/4 strikers with plenty of Championship experience.

Interesting. I'm surprised they seem to be doing business now, I'm hoping that means they are determined to hold onto Moore. Otherwise you'd think they would be holding off to see what sort of money they have to play with. I'm probably over thinking this !! :oops: :lol:

Mon May 24, 2021 12:39 pm

I remember the scenes when Marshall saved Waghorn's penalty in the play off semi final against Leicester all those years ago - he was inconsolable on the pitch that evening but to be fair to him he was only a youngster at the time and at least his penalty was a decent one forcing Marshall to make a decent save.

It was the Kermagant penalty for them which truly cost them that game rather than Waghorn's effort.

Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

Depends on the formation McCarthy intends playing next season.

Last season he had to play the system that fitted the players he inherited, next season he may want to go with two strikers, in which case we're going to need 3/4 strikers with plenty of Championship experience.

Interesting. I'm surprised they seem to be doing business now, I'm hoping that means they are determined to hold onto Moore. Otherwise you'd think they would be holding off to see what sort of money they have to play with. I'm probably over thinking this !! :oops: :lol:

Moore and Collins with Waghorn as back up would be a handful for most sides but could be that the see Moore going as a given and want Waghorn and Collins to fight over the main striker role.

Mon May 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Waghorn is more of a winger striker so he would probably play where Harry Wilson did for us. Great set pieces as well which might provide a few goals.

I don't see Collins as any more than back up to Kieffer Moore

Mon May 24, 2021 3:35 pm

i would be delighted if he came to us.

Mon May 24, 2021 8:40 pm

As long as he’s free, stays fit, comes off the bench and chips in with a goal or assist i’m happy

Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:i would be delighted if he came to us.

:thumbup:

Tue May 25, 2021 6:38 am

I’d be more than happy with this. He’s the sort of player who I think would do well. Good attitude too. I don’t see him as a replacement for Moore. It looks as though MM will try to move on other strikers either through sale or loaning out. Moore, Collins and Waghorn would provide decent quality and competition

Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 am

mjw6150 wrote:Waghorn is more of a winger striker so he would probably play where Harry Wilson did for us. Great set pieces as well which might provide a few goals.

I don't see Collins as any more than back up to Kieffer Moore

Not a bad replacement for HW - obviously not like for like though

Can he play behind the strikers in a Tomlin like role?

We could have Moore & Collins upfront and Waghorn just sitting behind them :?:

Im still holding out hope for Moore & FREE AGENT Diedou upfront with Waghorn behind them :lol: :lol:

Tue May 25, 2021 8:07 am

NPCC39 wrote:As long as he’s free, stays fit, comes off the bench and chips in with a goal or assist i’m happy

I think that would be the limit of his contribution. A good impact sub when the game is stretched.