Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Criticism of Sam Hammam '

Mon May 24, 2021 1:04 pm

There has been what is , in my opinion, some unwarranted criticism of Sam Hammam in a few threads on here.

Sam did make mistakes whilst he was the main shareholder in the club , as he readily admits if you speak to him , which I used to do on a fairly regular and frequent basis until about a year ago when we lost contact (my fault when I changed contact details and lost his, not Sam`s fault).The current owner has also made some well publicised horrific mistakes in his time which he has subsequently reversed but it still leaves a bad taste for many fans.

However, what must never be forgotten is that without Sam the club would almost certainly not have achieved any of its recent successes on the field and would still be languishing in the lower reaches of the football pyramid as a relatively unknown unattractive club His marketing and promotional skills (some of them pretty bizarre) raised the profile of the club hugely and started it off on its road to a new stadium and able to attract new investors.

Towards the end of his reign , Sam was struggling to get his new stadium plans through and I don`t think with him in charge the stadium would ever had got permission to be built or be fully funded. However, the manner in which he was effectively forced to leave the club was , in my view, very bad and disrespectful treatment of him by various parties.

Fans owe Sam a big debt of gratitude for starting the rise in the club`s fortunes. I miss my chats with him , because we used to discuss all things CCFC and football in general. We would sometimes agree on things , but often have opposing views on things , but what was great was that we could agree to disagree without falling out over it or either of us taking offence.

KEITH

Re: ' Criticism of Sam Hammam '

Mon May 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Nice one Keith. :thumbup:

Whilst there were, shall we say, shady sides of Sam.....the bottom line is without his enthusiam, vigour and determintion, equalled by his passion for our club, there is no way we would be in the relatively comfortable position we are now.

There are always moaners, and also always fans that look at the structure and will criticise. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The days under Sam were probably the best I have experienced as a loyal City fan.....every day was a rollercoaster and therein lies the joy.

Was he perfect? of course not, am I perfect probably.... :D :bluebird:

Mon May 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Agree all aspects of both the above posts.

Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Cant argue with most of that, but one question, apart fom the colour fiasco, what other glaring mistakes has tan made?
It seems to me the very fans who seem to hate tan, are the ones who loved sam,so if sam can be forgiven imho so tan deserves the same? I will never forget whst he did, but have forgiven him, after all it has been reversed.the badge? Well both have been guilty of changing that.
Would I have sam back? Yeah, but not as sole owner,as I dont think he has the same clout financially as our current owner,but have to say, im happy for tan to remain here for the time being too.

Mon May 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Have to agree, Sam started our rise and if it was not for him we would probably be a lower league club now, what a pity Sam was unable to to finish the dream of. you wont get any complaints from me as without Sam we were nothing but a lowly league four club with dire crowds.

To many with short memories, as we were going no where and had no big support in them days, no assets and were looked down at. last 20 plus years have been high standard of football, big crowds and all started by Sam, sadly it went sour at the end, but no complaints from me as we were going no where before he arrived :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sam do the :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2021 1:56 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Cant argue with most of that, but one question, apart fom the colour fiasco, what other glaring mistakes has tan made?
It seems to me the very fans who seem to hate tan, are the ones who loved sam,so if sam can be forgiven imho so tan deserves the same? I will never forget whst he did, but have forgiven him, after all it has been reversed.the badge? Well both have been guilty of changing that.
Would I have sam back? Yeah, but not as sole owner,as I dont think he has the same clout financially as our current owner,but have to say, im happy for tan to remain here for the time being too.

Mate i was at the Valley Rams meeting in Porth and every single fan there voted for the new badge and asked Sam to put the ST Davids flag on it. Sam was doing what he thought the fans wanted.

Tan was changing us for himself not for the fans.

Amazing times under Sam, thank you :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2021 1:57 pm

I think in the 21 years since the takeover someone else would have gambled on investing in this club, or we would have found a managerial gem who would have done a Martinez with us. No way we would still be League Two now. Huge potential and still is in CCFC.

Mon May 24, 2021 2:00 pm

mjw6150 wrote:I think in the 21 years since the takeover someone else would have gambled on investing in this club, or we would have found a managerial gem who would have done a Martinez with us. No way we would still be League Two now. Huge potential and still is in CCFC.

i thought that for the best part of 30 years..... but the reality is we kept dropping and im not sure we had hit the bottom.....

Mon May 24, 2021 2:01 pm

mjw6150 wrote:I think in the 21 years since the takeover someone else would have gambled on investing in this club, or we would have found a managerial gem who would have done a Martinez with us. No way we would still be League Two now. Huge potential and still is in CCFC.

What happened between 1984-2000, 16 years in lower league? where were the investors then? Kumar brothers your having a gifare, mate no one with money or heart came in for us, and were not in 2000 as stadium was falling to pieces, hooliganism big with us, shite on the pitch and 4,000 home crowds.

I applaud Sam :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2021 2:06 pm

Loyal Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Cant argue with most of that, but one question, apart fom the colour fiasco, what other glaring mistakes has tan made?

Mate i was at the Valley Rams meeting in Porth and every single fan there voted for the new badge and asked Sam to put the ST Davids flag on it. Sam was doing what he thought the fans wanted.

Then perhaps sam could have asked ALL fans? I am not saying their werent "good times" under sam, same as there have been during tans time here? Only one eyed fans can answer no to that surely? I have said I would have sam back in some capacity, but apart from the colour, I cant see many other glaring mistakes from tan personally, but read quite often he has made them? In an ideal world, the two of them together would be something,sam for his knowledge of football(and finances) and tan for his business brain(and again finances) will never happen of course!

Mon May 24, 2021 2:12 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:Nice one Keith. :thumbup:

Whilst there were, shall we say, shady sides of Sam.....the bottom line is without his enthusiam, vigour and determintion, equalled by his passion for our club, there is no way we would be in the relatively comfortable position we are now.

There are always moaners, and also always fans that look at the structure and will criticise. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The days under Sam were probably the best I have experienced as a loyal City fan.....every day was a rollercoaster and therein lies the joy.

Was he perfect? of course not, am I perfect probably.... :D :bluebird:

First of all Jim, you are the perfect loyal Cardiff fan, through thick and thin you keep smiling :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sam united our fans for his first 6 years, No other Chairman has had the passion, 24/7 time given to our club, love, football knowledge and their name sung and cheered by our fans than Sam :thumbright: :bluebird:

Our players behind the scenes adored Sam and yes Sam made mistakes along the way, but I can tell you now he gave his heart and life to our club for 7 years and if the Council had not changed and he had been given full permission, we would of been in the Premier League the season he left us top of the Championship.

Sam started our Academy loved it beyond, watching every week from our under 9's right up, following our youth team to every home and away game.

Ramsey, Ledley, Gunter, Matthews etc even Mark Harris had his first year under Sam.

The Gabbidons, Earnies, Kavanaghs etc etc etc were the type of players Sam brought to our club all hungry,class and fighters.

Like I say, Cardiff City before Sam came had 100 season ticket holders and low crowds beyond, we were going only one place further down League 4.

The media turned on Sam thanks to the Riddlers bullshit.

Mon May 24, 2021 2:18 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Loyal Blue wrote:

Then perhaps sam could have asked ALL fans? I am not saying their werent "good times" under sam, same as there have been during tans time here? Only one eyed fans can answer no to that surely? I have said I would have sam back in some capacity, but apart from the colour, I cant see many other glaring mistakes from tan personally, but read quite often he has made them? In an ideal world, the two of them together would be something,sam for his knowledge of football(and finances) and tan for his business brain(and again finances) will never happen of course!

Paul,

I can answer some of this, I hated the new badge, was away when Sam went to a big meeting up the Valleys and was told the Valley Rams were our main stronghold and Sam came back and I told Sam that he should not do this, Sam said are they not the backbone of our club and the Valleys are Wales,every fan voted for it and the main organisers in fact designed it.
I said yes they are part of it, but not all.

Sam said he was doing it for them and Wales, I never once bought anything with the badge on, yet I could see what what he felt, he was putting Wales more on the Cardiff City badge and pleasing our fans.

But for me their was only one badge.

Your 100% right, Sams Knowledge of football is up there with the best :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon May 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Loyal Blue wrote:

Paul,

I can answer some of this, I hated the new badge, was away when Sam went to a big meeting up the Valleys and was told the Valley Rams were our main stronghold and Sam came back and I told Sam that he should not do this, Sam said are they not the backbone of our club and the Valleys are Wales,every fan voted for it and the main organisers in fact designed it.

Sam said he was doing it for them and Wales, I never once bought anything with the badge on, yet I could see what what he felt, he was putting Wales more on the Cardiff City badge and pleasing our fans.

Your 100% right, Sams Knowledge of football is up there with the best :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thanks for clarifying that Annis, I too didnt like the badge,and I dont get the line of the valleys is wales personally, yes we draw a lot of much appreciated support from up there, but cardiff is as much wales as the valleys imho.perhaps a fanbase vote could have involved more people from the full spectrum of city supporters,rather than one supporters group?? As you rightly told him, they are definitely a part, but not all.
Shame the two(tan & sam) dont get on, as I believe if they could work together, we could really get established in the prem.

Mon May 24, 2021 2:39 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Loyal Blue wrote:

Paul,

Thanks for clarifying that Annis, I too didnt like the badge,and I dont get the line of the valleys is wales personally, yes we draw a lot of much appreciated support from up there, but cardiff is as much wales as the valleys imho.perhaps a fanbase vote could have involved more people from the full spectrum of city supporters,rather than one supporters group?? As you rightly told him, they are definitely a part, but not all.
Shame the two(tan & sam) dont get on, as I believe if they could work together, we could really get established in the prem.

Paul,

100% Sam and Tan together would of been perfect in my opinion and it so nearly happened as I have been with them when they have been together.

Sam wanted it and at first Tan did as well, but some people of the close people to Tan turned him the other way and the same people backed the despicable red and the rest is sadly a part of our history .

Mon May 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Loyal Blue wrote:

Tan wanted to change for himself. When the move was announced it was rescinded and Tan said he wouldn’t invest as planned. There were a lot of fans who made it known they wanted the investment and would support Red for the investment. There was an echo poll which was in support of the rebrand. That is no more unofficial than the Rams one about the badge.

Tan went ahead with the rebrand and there was minimal actual discontent. 50 fans returned season tickets. There were clearly more who were unhappy but the majority were happy while we were spending big and winning championships.

So what you wrote is not strictly true as Tan thought it is what the fans wanted.

The OP is excellent.

Without Sam we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are.

He may have got us heavily in debt but the raising of our profile covered that debt many times over in my opinion.

History should look fondly on Sam as an owner of Cardiff City. Had we got into the premier league when he was still on top form and he was able to deliver the stadium and retail park this club would have been very different in the years that followed him leaving.

Mon May 24, 2021 3:22 pm

One thing you can not question is Sam's enthusiasm for and commitment to the club and fans.
Shortly after he took over the club we played a preseason friendly in Aberystwyth. Living close by at the time, I went to see the game and was surprised to see Sam there watching the game. Also surprised that, when I went to shake his hand and welcome him, he had time for a chat with me and my then young boys.

Mon May 24, 2021 3:26 pm

Sam was a legend in my eyes and always will be. What he did with the academy was amazing and should have been the blue print for many years after he left.

Mon May 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Nin Ian wrote:One thing you can not question is Sam's enthusiasm for and commitment to the club and fans.
Shortly after he took over the club we played a preseason friendly in Aberystwyth. Living close by at the time, I went to see the game and was surprised to see Sam there watching the game. Also surprised that, when I went to shake his hand and welcome him, he had time for a chat with me and my then young boys.

I’ve put a story on here once about Sam talking to the father of a youth player. He knew everything about all ‘his boys, the future of our club’ as he called them. His dad was very impressed.

Mon May 24, 2021 4:06 pm

Just out of interest and without wishing to cheese Sam supporters off; why exactly is Sam seeking to take the City to court for £10 million because he has not been made Life President? If successful in law, Sam would seriously hurt the City.

Remember, he voluntarily left the club and the Riddler luckily (if the story is true) met Tan on holiday and Tan thereafter continued the rescue act begun by Sam which took us away from the league dungeon.

Mon May 24, 2021 4:16 pm

maccydee wrote:
Loyal Blue wrote:

Tan wanted to change for himself. When the move was announced it was rescinded and Tan said he wouldn’t invest as planned. There were a lot of fans who made it known they wanted the investment and would support Red for the investment. There was an echo poll which was in support of the rebrand. That is no more unofficial than the Rams one about the badge.

Tan went ahead with the rebrand and there was minimal actual discontent. 50 fans returned season tickets. There were clearly more who were unhappy but the majority were happy while we were spending big and winning championships.

So what you wrote is not strictly true as Tan thought it is what the fans wanted.

The OP is excellent.

He may have got us heavily in debt but the raising of our profile covered that debt many times over in my opinion.

History should look fondly on Sam as an owner of Cardiff City. Had we got into the premier league when he was still on top form and he was able to deliver the stadium and retail park this club would have been very different in the years that followed him leaving.

you honestly think Tan thought we wanted to be in red ?
he might have been of the opinion or told it would be tolerated or accepted...but that WE wanted it ?
if the fans wanted to be red , we would still be red..
the poll....was not simply red with investment or blue with investment .
ive always maintained we as a fan base folded to easy...no real protests and your points about how few STs being returned and an initial absence of distain for the change is valid { but that went hand in hand as part of a trade off } ... but happy and wanted it.....your having a laugh...

Mon May 24, 2021 4:19 pm

I will always like Sam he was badly treated by that crook Ridsdale actually we all were treated badly by ridsdale.

Mon May 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Chairman - Vincent Tan Chee Yioun

CEO - Samir Georges Nassib Hammam

Director of Footbal - Steve Day

Senior Spanish Scout and Youth Development Advisor - Annis Abraham

Any job he wants - Sol Bamba

Mon May 24, 2021 4:32 pm

I think you make a very valid point here. It is never black and white, thank God!, so with that in mind you don't have to side with one owner or the other.

Sam was the cannon that shot CCFC away from mediocrity and possibly oblivion, we aimed for the stars and ended up close to the moon. Unfortunately he couldn't get the stadium over the line and things ended a bit sour. That said, he was the man who gave us hope, gave us a dream, followed it up with money and desire and he should always be remembered and respected for this.

Tan came along with much more financial clout and did many good things for our club. Unfortunately he made a very big error in judgemnet and that has been well documented. Since then he has converted debt to equity and achieved two promotions to the PL.

I have total respect and admiration for both of these great guys........without Sam (1st off) and then Tan (picking up the batton), where would we be now? :bluebird:

Mon May 24, 2021 4:34 pm

So who will do the poll??

I won't say, whoever loses should walk away once and for all and their name never mentioned on this MB again, AS I really don't know who would win, and I wouldnt want it to be VT! :lol:

Mon May 24, 2021 4:42 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Loyal Blue wrote:

The OP is excellent.

you honestly think Tan thought we wanted to be in red ?
he might have been of the opinion or told it would be tolerated or accepted...but that WE wanted it ?
if the fans wanted to be red , we would still be red..
the poll....was not simply red with investment or blue with investment .
ive always maintained we as a fan base folded to easy...no real protests and your points about how few STs being returned and an initial absence of distain for the change is valid { but that went hand in hand as part of a trade off } ... but happy and wanted it.....your having a laugh...

I’ve never said that ever. I said we were happy with the investment. Which we were. To most that was a price worth paying.

Mon May 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Sam definitely re ignited the club which was virtually dead for 20 years. But nobody knows if someone else would have come and established us in the top flight and put trophies in the cabinet.As it stands we are no further forward than 2003 when were were promoted to this level.just deeper in debt.

Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 pm

TheHangedMan » Mon May 24, 2021 4:32 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Cant argue with most of that, but one question, apart fom the colour fiasco, what other glaring mistakes has tan made?

I think you make a very valid point here. It is never black and white, thank God!, so with that in mind you don't have to side with one owner or the other.

Sam was the cannon that shot CCFC away from mediocrity and possibly oblivion, we aimed for the stars and ended up close to the moon. Unfortunately he couldn't get the stadium over the line and things ended a bit sour. That said, he was the man who gave us hope, gave us a dream, followed it up with money and desire and he should always be remembered and respected for this.

Tan came along with much more financial clout and did many good things for our club. Unfortunately he made a very big error in judgemnet and that has been well documented. Since then he has converted debt to equity and achieved two promotions to the PL.

I have total respect and admiration for both of these great guys........without Sam (1st off) and then Tan (picking up the batton), where would we be now? :bluebird:
:clap:

Totally agree. They both made mistakes, but they are the two owners that have taken us forward.

Mon May 24, 2021 6:10 pm

skiprat wrote:Sam definitely re ignited the club which was virtually dead for 20 years. But nobody knows if someone else would have come and established us in the top flight and put trophies in the cabinet.As it stands we are no further forward than 2003 when were were promoted to this level.just deeper in debt.

Really?

Weren’t we at Ninian Park then? Now our stadium is used for Wales games.

Could only dream of a player like Bellamy being at our club. It happened.

Two premier league seasons.

Training facilities were shocking.

The club has moved forward massively since 2003 and in fact under Tan.

Mon May 24, 2021 6:37 pm

maccydee wrote:
skiprat wrote:Sam definitely re ignited the club which was virtually dead for 20 years. But nobody knows if someone else would have come and established us in the top flight and put trophies in the cabinet.As it stands we are no further forward than 2003 when were were promoted to this level.just deeper in debt.

Really?

2003 in the championship 2021 in the championship yes plenty of improvements but not established in the premier league no trophies on the cabinet.

Mon May 24, 2021 6:45 pm

skiprat wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Really?

2003 in the championship 2021 in the championship yes plenty of improvements but not established in the premier league no trophies on the cabinet.

Had Tan taken us over as a debt free club I think we would have more of a chance. For that we can thank Riddler.

Unfortunately Sam wasn’t able to follow through on what he started. He was treated shockingly by those that ended up making the money the club should have had.

Sam increased the value of the club massively. Tan has done the same. The stagnation was under Riddler.