Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Criticism of Sam Hammam '

Wed May 26, 2021 6:48 am

Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:I can see arguments on both sides with this one.

Many say that the day we turned red was their worst day as a supporter and I get that.

However, for me Black Friday was my worst day in 50 years of being a supporter. Getting messages all week/day of the next player being bombed out (including our talisman of a captain) was so upsetting that you actually wondered whether we would have a club left at the end of it.

I agree that Sam was the catalyst that the club needed but he adopted a “crash and burn” approach that had no longevity. Change was necessary and, to me, that change has taken us to a new level of financial stability that most clubs dream about.

Not only did we have the fire sale but many won’t know that there were multiple (10s, 100s) of unpaid judgments where many small, local firms suffered as a result of that regime.

We criticise the Jacks for getting away with not paying their debts by taking administration but we did virtually the same thing !

So I will always criticise Sam on that score and would never want him to have even a 1% stake in my club ever again. But, I will also recognise that without him our progress might not have ever happened or at least not as quickly.

A final point. Just because there are court cases going on doesn’t mean they will be lost by the club or even get to trial. Tan and Hammam are both stubborn characters and ultimately if it takes a judge to sort it out then so be it. I don’t know the ins and outs of the cases but the headline descriptions seem pretty light on the clubs stance so let’s see who come out on top.

Finally there appears to be some criticism of the legal fees that the club is paying out. The club didn’t issue court proceedings Hammam did, are we seriously expecting our club just to pay the full amount and not try to defend/mitigate their position !!?? Hammam has started this, let’s see who finishes it.

You say Black Friday was your worst day ever.

Pradeep answer

What assists did we have before Sam arrived?

Where were we?

How were our finances before Sam arrived?

Where were all the so called Cardiff fans before Sam arrived?

If everyone cared so much why did they not turn up and support our club before Sam arrived as perhaps we would of not been a 4th division club ?

I can ask dozens more questions as the truth is we had barely any fans and 99% of those moaning were not even attending in the those days before Sam arrived and that’s the truth.

As to court cases Tan has lost everyone of them and that’s a fact v many many people

As to Sam taking Tan to court if your owed money and the other person signs to that and originally agrees, I would take them to court as so would you if you were owed money be honest.

Over 11 years later Tan is still in court cases now with three different people.

I don’t know any other owner who is constantly involved in court cases and lost everyone.

We have 3 more court cases and I will state now Tan will win one and rightly so and lose two others costing our club £30million plus.

Firstly, Tan had not lost every case that went to court, that’s nonsense.

Even the last big case the Judge instructed both parties to come to an agreement once it finally came out, what we all knew, that Hammam was/is Langston and had effectively lent money to himself !

Yes, Tan had to pay money out but it was nowhere near the amount of the original claim so it was well worth defending.

Secondly, can’t you see how horrendous that last paragraph makes Hammam look ?

So out of the three cases he’s going to win one of them (you might want to tell the judge that by the way, would save a bit of time !) and lose two. So basically he’s started two cases with little chance of winning them and knowing it will cost the club significant money in legal fees !! Vindictive and no feel for the club is what that looks like from a guy who, allegedly, loves the club !!

One fly in the ointment for Sam, even if he does win one case any money might be significantly hit if he loses the other cases and is ordered to pay the club’s costs too !!

Dress it up all you like but this is Sam’s last hurrah and knows it’s his last chance of screwing money out of OUR club.

Wed May 26, 2021 9:14 am

I was there in the dungeon days, and to answer the point of the fans not showing, was mainly because people were fed up of the hooliganism. I know many kids/parents wouldnt go anywhere near Ninian Park on a Saturday afternoon in the 70s/80s.

There was a distinct possibility you'd get your head kicked in. I used to get asked the time on the Bob Bank nearly every week late 70s..

And we were shockingly bad/no ambition, despite Bob Grogans/TCs best efforts to keep the club going. Those guys were angels really, but didnt have the money.

Simple as that I think.

Wed May 26, 2021 9:45 am

rumpo kid wrote:I was there in the dungeon days, and to answer the point of the fans not showing, was mainly because people were fed up of the hooliganism. I know many kids/parents wouldnt go anywhere near Ninian Park on a Saturday afternoon in the 70s/80s.

There was a distinct possibility you'd get your head kicked in. I used to get asked the time on the Bob Bank nearly every week late 70s..

And we were shockingly bad/no ambition, despite Bob Grogans/TCs best efforts to keep the club going. Those guys were angels really, but didnt have the money.

Simple as that I think.

I can relate to that.

Plenty of times I saw Cardiff pick on Cardiff because the away fans stayed away. I once got hit from behind. It was a right woman punch. When I looked around him and his mates were running away. I saw the idiots at the next home game, my mate recognised them. There were a few of them but it did not stop my mate calling them out as wankers. They shit themselves when they saw me next to my mate. They ran off.

Wed May 26, 2021 10:13 am

rumpo kid wrote:I was there in the dungeon days, and to answer the point of the fans not showing, was mainly because people were fed up of the hooliganism. I know many kids/parents wouldnt go anywhere near Ninian Park on a Saturday afternoon in the 70s/80s.

Simple as that I think.

I liked Bob Grogan (Kenton Utilities), if he had not died and his son had not taken over I believe we would of done well, his son had no interest in Cardiff City.
Bob Grogan was actually buying a house in Wenvoe near to the airport and Cardiff City's Ninian Park :bluebird: :bluebird:

The hooliganism continued right up until 2010 at Cardiff City.

Dont forget Stoke away,Stoke home, Leeds, Chelsea away etc etc

Wed May 26, 2021 10:15 am

I've been one of sams biggest critics ,let's face it its been nearly 15 years since he's left now ,if he's got the money and is more transparent, admits his mistakes then I think supporters would forgive him ,at the end of the day its about money and keeping the club going ,Tan has done that and is easily the best owner we've ever had ,if sam wants to buy the club back and has real money this time and Tan sells out to him then so be it

Wed May 26, 2021 10:16 am

wez1927 wrote:I've been one of sams biggest critics ,let's face it its been nearly 15 years since he's left now ,if he's got the money and is more transparent, admits his mistakes then I think supporters would forgive him ,at the end of the day its about money and keeping the club going ,Tan has done that and is easily the best owner we've ever had ,if sam wants to buy the club back and has real money this time and Tan sells out to him then so be it

Fair play Wez :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 am

I don’t think Sam would get an overly warm welcome back from a large section of the crowd He certainly started us moving in the right direction and we have to be thankful for that However he some what tarnished his own reputation with a large number of fans He did not get a warm reception last time he came back and think he did not expect it. It was very polite but it was certainly not a welcoming of a returning hero Heard more telling him where he could go from the grandstand but most kept silent with their views

Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 am

Abergavenny wrote:I don’t think Sam would get an overly warm welcome back from a large section of the crowd He certainly started us moving in the right direction and we have to be thankful for that However he some what tarnished his own reputation with a large number of fans He did not get a warm reception last time he came back and think he did not expect it. It was very polite but it was certainly not a welcoming of a returning hero Heard more telling him where he could go from the grandstand but most kept silent with their views

I remember 7 complete wankers , there were 7 of them who even abused his ill daughter and young grandson, it was despicable. Reading away.

Well I can tell you now Sam walked 2 miles with them from his parked car and had over 50 photos with Cardiff fans along the way and even had one big group chanting his name.

I remember going to Wembley and our five coaches parked up many from Port Talbot & Neath Bluebirds and fans were having photos with Sam and many waited for up to an hr for a photo with him.

Sam has actually turned up at away games quite often and walked amongst City fans and other than the arsolehole cowardly 7 idiots at Reading , Sam has been welcomed everywhere.

There will always be a few I agree, but these 7 are worse than low life and outside the ground were chased of by other Cardiff fans from the Docks and Grangetown as it was low what they did.

Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:I don’t think Sam would get an overly warm welcome back from a large section of the crowd He certainly started us moving in the right direction and we have to be thankful for that However he some what tarnished his own reputation with a large number of fans He did not get a warm reception last time he came back and think he did not expect it. It was very polite but it was certainly not a welcoming of a returning hero Heard more telling him where he could go from the grandstand but most kept silent with their views

I remember 7 complete wankers , there were 7 of them who even abused his ill daughter and young grandson, it was despicable. Reading away.

Well I can tell you now Sam walked 2 miles with them from his parked car and had over 50 photos with Cardiff fans along the way and even had one big group chanting his name.

I remember going to Wembley and our five coaches parked up many from Port Talbot & Neath Bluebirds and fans were having photos with Sam and many waited for up to an hr for a photo with him.

Sam has actually turned up at away games quite often and walked amongst City fans and other than the arsolehole cowardly 7 idiots at Reading , Sam has been welcomed everywhere.

There will always be a few I agree, but these 7 are worse than low life and outside the ground were chased of by other Cardiff fans from the Docks and Grangetown as it was low what they did.

I can confirm that incident at Reading, as we were sat behund Sam's daughter, whilst Sam was further forward with you, Carl and others, Annis

Some (not many) acted disgracefully to Sam and also verbally abused his daughter, too

Most Bluebirds, including all of my group were generous and welcoming of Sam and his family; as it should be...

Two words (sadly a-typical of some) are pathetic and cowardly :oops:

Wed May 26, 2021 11:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:

I would not want him back at the club and i would not want a photo of him However i would rather stay silent and let him watch the game than give him any abuse The problem with a lot of football fans is that they are happy to praise or give abuse And usually nothing in between I am happy to praise people but people would have to go a mighty distance more than Sam did before i think i could abuse them.

Wed May 26, 2021 11:46 am

I met Sam a few times of late. Each time he came over as a gentleman and I witness a load of kids ask him for his autograph/signature.

Yes I've heard some give discontentment when his name is mentioned but overall I feel he would be welcomed back and be given the chance.

Wed May 26, 2021 12:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Sam and I used to meet fairly regularly and also spoke frequently on the phone. We would often disagree about things but , as we shared a love of football and especially Cardiff City never fell out about it and usually just laughed off the fact that we had different opinions at times. Sam always the gentleman in such meetings , making sure that the first topic was checking on the health of our families , particularly our grandchildren.

These people who gave him abuse were totally in the wrong I agree. Also anyone who gives abuse to women and children especially if it extends to threats of violence are indeed low lives

Wed May 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Ninian1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Sam and I used to meet fairly regularly and also spoke frequently on the phone. We would often disagree about things but , as we shared a love of football and especially Cardiff City never fell out about it and usually just laughed off the fact that we had different opinions at times. Sam always the gentleman in such meetings , making sure that the first topic was checking on the health of our families , particularly our grandchildren.

These people who gave him abuse were totally in the wrong I agree. Also anyone who gives abuse to women and children especially if it extends to threats of violence are indeed low lives

They actually did threaten and that’s why I call them despicable.

Sam is a family man and a real football fan as you said keith. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm

Keith,

I have pm
You a message :thumbright:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Keith,

I have pm
You a message :thumbright:

Got it thanks and have replied

Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I can confirm that incident at Reading, as we were sat behund Sam's daughter, whilst Sam was further forward with you, Carl and others, Annis

Some (not many) acted disgracefully to Sam and also verbally abused his daughter, too

Most Bluebirds, including all of my group were generous and welcoming of Sam and his family; as it should be...

Two words (sadly a-typical of some) are pathetic and cowardly :oops:

Thanks Chris, yes No more than 7 despicable clowns who apparently were chased outside after the match and rightly so.
I have since found out who they are and they were pissed up and hardly ever go except to the games like Reading.

And yes the majority of City fans rightly welcomed Sam, his Daughter and Granddaughter :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:50 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Many say that the day we turned red was their worst day as a supporter and I get that.

However, for me Black Friday was my worst day in 50 years of being a supporter. Getting messages all week/day of the next player being bombed out (including our talisman of a captain) was so upsetting that you actually wondered whether we would have a club left at the end of it.

I agree that Sam was the catalyst that the club needed but he adopted a “crash and burn” approach that had no longevity. Change was necessary and, to me, that change has taken us to a new level of financial stability that most clubs dream about.

Not only did we have the fire sale but many won’t know that there were multiple (10s, 100s) of unpaid judgments where many small, local firms suffered as a result of that regime.

We criticise the Jacks for getting away with not paying their debts by taking administration but we did virtually the same thing !

So I will always criticise Sam on that score and would never want him to have even a 1% stake in my club ever again. But, I will also recognise that without him our progress might not have ever happened or at least not as quickly.

A final point. Just because there are court cases going on doesn’t mean they will be lost by the club or even get to trial. Tan and Hammam are both stubborn characters and ultimately if it takes a judge to sort it out then so be it. I don’t know the ins and outs of the cases but the headline descriptions seem pretty light on the clubs stance so let’s see who come out on top.

Finally there appears to be some criticism of the legal fees that the club is paying out. The club didn’t issue court proceedings Hammam did, are we seriously expecting our club just to pay the full amount and not try to defend/mitigate their position !!?? Hammam has started this, let’s see who finishes it.

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

If everyone cared so much why did they not turn up and support our club before Sam arrived as perhaps we would of not been a 4th division club ?

I can ask dozens more questions as the truth is we had barely any fans and 99% of those moaning were not even attending in the those days before Sam arrived and that’s the truth.

As to court cases Tan has lost everyone of them and that’s a fact v many many people

As to Sam taking Tan to court if your owed money and the other person signs to that and originally agrees, I would take them to court as so would you if you were owed money be honest.

Over 11 years later Tan is still in court cases now with three different people.

I don’t know any other owner who is constantly involved in court cases and lost everyone.

We have 3 more court cases and I will state now Tan will win one and rightly so and lose two others costing our club £30million plus.

Even the last big case the Judge instructed both parties to come to an agreement once it finally came out, what we all knew, that Hammam was/is Langston and had effectively lent money to himself !

Yes, Tan had to pay money out but it was nowhere near the amount of the original claim so it was well worth defending.

So out of the three cases he’s going to win one of them (you might want to tell the judge that by the way, would save a bit of time !) and lose two. So basically he’s started two cases with little chance of winning them and knowing it will cost the club significant money in legal fees !! Vindictive and no feel for the club is what that looks like from a guy who, allegedly, loves the club !!

One fly in the ointment for Sam, even if he does win one case any money might be significantly hit if he loses the other cases and is ordered to pay the club’s costs too !!

Dress it up all you like but this is Sam’s last hurrah and knows it’s his last chance of screwing money out of OUR club.

I’m not dressing it up, I have seen hard facts / papers not media reports like you read.

Having to pay Langston costs and an extra £2mill in my eyes means he lost.

Paying off Riddler, DJ, Ole etc etc just before the cases in my eyes means he lost as they all got what they wanted .

As to Sam ripping of our club we only had debts, no real players, no assets when Sam arrived so there is nothing to rip off.

If you mean to what Tan has personally signed for then Sam is entitled to it and the courts will once again decide :thumbright:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Abergavenny wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I would not want him back at the club and i would not want a photo of him However i would rather stay silent and let him watch the game than give him any abuse The problem with a lot of football fans is that they are happy to praise or give abuse And usually nothing in between I am happy to praise people but people would have to go a mighty distance more than Sam did before i think i could abuse them.

That’s fair enough :thumbright:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I met Sam a few times of late. Each time he came over as a gentleman and I witness a load of kids ask him for his autograph/signature.

Yes I've heard some give discontentment when his name is mentioned but overall I feel he would be welcomed back and be given the chance.

Ian,

Sam is a gentleman and had time for all fans and goes out of his way and loves our fans to this day :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

Paying off Riddler, DJ, Ole etc etc just before the cases in my eyes means he lost as they all got what they wanted .

But Sam was asking for £25m+ based on the court writ. I'm sure Tan would have paid him £2m in a pre court settlement but Sam wouldn't settle. If you believe achieving a judgment for less than 10% of the original claim is winning sobeit !! Even with costs Tan would have saved the club millions by challenging that claim in court rather than just rolling over and paying £25m+.

Ole and DJ was paid off as we sacked them, pretty standard stuff. Would you rather we kept them as managers until their contracts ran out ?

I don't know enough about the Riddler settlement to comment.

Wed May 26, 2021 1:18 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

But Sam was asking for £25m+ based on the court writ. I'm sure Tan would have paid him £2m in a pre court settlement but Sam wouldn't settle. If you believe achieving a judgment for less than 10% of the original claim is winning sobeit !! Even with costs Tan would have saved the club millions by challenging that claim in court rather than just rolling over and paying £25m+.

Ole and DJ was paid off as we sacked them, pretty standard stuff. Would you rather we kept them as managers until their contracts ran out ?

£28mill was ordered by the court.

Interest and costs

Wed May 26, 2021 1:18 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

so basically he has started 2 cases with little chance of winning...correct....it will cost the club millions....correct..... vindictive and no feelings for the club ? ..... you are aware it Vincent Tan that os involved in these 3 cases ....and the Sam case is just 1 of the 3..

Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm

skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

so basically he has started 2 cases with little chance of winning...correct....it will cost the club millions....correct..... vindictive and no feelings for the club ? ..... you are aware it Vincent Tan that os involved in these 3 cases ....and the Sam case is just 1 of the 3..

No I'm not aware of that, not sure why that would be brought into a discussion entitled "Criticism of Sam Hammam" !!

I'm guessing one is Isaacs ? If so that one is bordering on vexatious !!

Wed May 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

there were far more than 5 coaches at the middlesex arms mate there were buses dropping and having to park elsewhere.... Sam parked in the council car park across the road.. and yes he had a good welcome..it was all hand shakes, selfies and even autographs......

Wed May 26, 2021 1:37 pm

This is not criticism of Sam but rather is written for comment and hopefully response. He is elderly now being 73 years old but from barely 30 years old in 1977 up to the age of 50 in 1997, Sam had full control of Wimbledon with whom he participated in their phenomenal rise from non league to a number of years in the top division of the English football pyramid (many more than our 2 Premiership seasons under VT).

Football is a different game now with the advent of the Premiership in about 1993, but during Sam’s tenure of Wimbledon the first division was still a massive affair. EG look how Liverpool came in for Toshack with us being unable to do resist even though we were trying to reach the first division. How could Sam achieve all this in a non-footballing area like Wimbledon when compared with the “Sleeping Giant” that was Cardiff City in 2000 when he took us over? To me, and this is comment only, the resources of our area must have been huge compared with tiny Wimbledon’s. What a pity he miscalculated (Sam’s inference) when he left the City.

One could easily have imagined in about 2000 that he would have made the City a Premiership giant during his ownership without any need for Mr. Tan (whom personally I am very grateful to in a football sense). The contributors on this Board are almost all experts on CCFC and some are even “in the know” within the club (not me I hasten to add!).

Discuss please, if you want.

Wed May 26, 2021 1:41 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

No I'm not aware of that, not sure why that would be brought into a discussion entitled "Criticism of Sam Hammam" !!

you wrote it as if the 3 cases were Sam then added the vindictive with no feelings for the club bit .....so does that phrase now apply to VT or does it change if its a different person your talking about..

Wed May 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
I can relate to that.

Plenty of times I saw Cardiff pick on Cardiff because the away fans stayed away. I once got hit from behind. It was a right woman punch. When I looked around him and his mates were running away. I saw the idiots at the next home game, my mate recognised them. There were a few of them but it did not stop my mate calling them out as wankers. They shit themselves when they saw me next to my mate. They ran off.

That brings back memories. I can remember many times being hit in the back of the head by some coward who then ran off :roll:

The thing is the hooliganism of the 70's and 80's was 90% of this kind of tosspot incident. I accept there was really bad incidents eg Millwall @ Luton but most so called hooligans were big tarts who only got involved if they out numbered you 10/1

Wed May 26, 2021 2:21 pm

skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

you wrote it as if the 3 cases were Sam then added the vindictive with no feelings for the club bit .....so does that phrase now apply to VT or does it change if its a different person your talking about..

VT hasn't started any of those court cases !!

Wed May 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Pradeep answer

Where were we?

£28mill was ordered by the court.

Interest and costs

You really have not got a clue.

Tan started all these court cases due to not paying people after they were sacked or monies owing, then later not paying only settling with them after running up Legal costs to City only to be advised time and time again he would lose.

The only case I see Tan finally winning is v Michael Issacs and rightly so.

Tan has run us up beyond legal bills.

Wed May 26, 2021 3:12 pm

£28m was not ordered by the court. It approved an agreed order, major difference.

You might claim that Tan caused the cases but he certainly wasn't listed as a claimant so actually, yes, I do have a clue about what I'm talking about. He did not issue those court proceedings so did not take those people to court.

If someone issues a claim you either defend it to try and reduce your liability or have the court find against the claimant.

Once the claim is in court you may as well defend it to at least reduce the amount or come to an agreement.

I'm not saying Tan is always right in these matters but he's not the person issuing the claims so he either pays in full or has to defend it.