Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Poised for Free Agent Striker Derby County

Mon May 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Sources: Cardiff City set sights on signing soon-available Derby ace Waghorn on a free transfer

By Wayne Veysey -

Monday 24th May 2021

Cardiff City are plotting a move for Derby County forward Martyn Waghorn who is 32 years old this month, Football Insider understands.

The former Rangers striker is out of contract next month and will be available on a free transfer.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Cardiff are monitoring Wahghorn’s situation while Derby are also keen to tie him down to a new deal.

Waghorn, who is 32 this year, joined Derby in 2018 and has so far scored 30 goals in 123 outings.

The South Shields-born attacker scored a vital brace on the final day of the season as a 3-3 draw with Sheffield Wednesday kept Derby in the Championship.

Waghorn played for Sunderland and Leicester during the early stages of his career and benefitted from numerous loan spells.

He enjoyed a prolific spell at Rangers between 2015 and 2017 as he helped the club win the Scottish championship.

All told, Waghorn scored 44 goals in 78 games for the Ibrox club before moving to Ipswich.

During his only season with the Tractor Boys, Waghorn scored 16 goals and finished the season as the club’s top scorer.

Frank Lampard then brought Waghorn to Derby as the club narrowly missed out on promotion during his first season.

This year Derby have found themselves fighting at the other end of the Championship and only stayed up on the final day with a big helping hand from Waghorn.

However, the forward will soon be available on a free transfer though Derby remain keen on tying him down to a new deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff Poised for Free Agent Striker Derby County

Mon May 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Cardiff City linked with move for Derby County striker on free transfer

The Bluebirds have already bolstered their forward line with the signing of James Collins but fresh reports suggest they are eyeing another

By Glen Williams

Monday 24 MAY 2021

Cardiff City are reportedly interested in signing veteran Derby County forward Martyn Waghorn this summer.

The Bluebirds have already made a fast start to the transfer window, having already announced the signing of James Collins from Luton Town.

But, according to Football Insider, another striker is also grabbing the Bluebirds' interest in the form of 31-year-old Waghorn, whose contract at Pride Park expires this summer.

The Rams front man scored five goals and contributed five assists this term as Wayne Rooney's side narrowly avoided the drop to League One.

As is proving to be the case during McCarthy's reign, Waghorn is a player he knows very well, having signed him for just £250,000 at Ipswich Town back in the summer of 2017 following the forward's prolific two-year stint at Rangers.

In just a single season at Portman Road, in which Waghorn scored 16 goals in all competitions, the player's market value skyrocketed and Ipswich sold him on for £5m to Derby County.

McCarthy has already stated that free transfers and loans are going to play a big part in transfer dealings this summer and that has proven the case with the signing of Collins.

However, the Bluebirds' striking options are already vast, given Kieffer Moore, Collins, Robert Glatzel, Mark Harris, Max Watters, Isaac Vassell and Isaak Davies are already in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 24, 2021 1:54 pm

Another 32 year old? What happened to lowering the age of the squad Annis? Im not impressed at this at all tbh.

Mon May 24, 2021 2:40 pm

IT isa bit much to descibe our striking options as vast. Of the names mentioned in the article Glatzel will almost certainly be sold befeore the season starts. If he is not he will be loaned out. Vasslel may well never play again for us he is so beset by injuries. The manager doesn't seem to rate Waters who will probably go out on loan. And I can't see us relying on Harris for two many goals. He might go out on loan next season too. At the moment the only serious up front options are Moore and Collins.

Waghorn might be knocking on a bit but he can still score at this level and would be a good addition to the squad. Hopefully we have more money than Derby and will get him.

Mon May 24, 2021 3:51 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Another 32 year old? What happened to lowering the age of the squad Annis? Im not impressed at this at all tbh.

Most good strikers at championship level are of older age group ..... tried younger ones hasnt worked keep young talent in midfield defence :thumbup:

Mon May 24, 2021 5:01 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Another 32 year old? What happened to lowering the age of the squad Annis? Im not impressed at this at all tbh.

Mixed messages for sure. We are lowering the squads playing age. We are signing 32 year olds.

Tue May 25, 2021 7:56 am

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/cardi ... ct-player/

Derby keen to get him to sign a new contract

Tue May 25, 2021 8:14 am

Could this mean they are expecting Keifer to go .

Tue May 25, 2021 8:18 am

We were linked with him in January, weren't we?

I think he played for Mick at Ipswich as well, so this sounds like a bit of guesswork going on from the press.

Since we signed Collins, I think the priority will be signing a creative midfielder.

If we sell Moore, then I can see us wanting to bring in another striker.

But if Moore goes, it will probably be after the Euros.

Tue May 25, 2021 8:32 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:We were linked with him in January, weren't we?

I think he played for Mick at Ipswich as well, so this sounds like a bit of guesswork going on from the press.

Since we signed Collins, I think the priority will be signing a creative midfielder.

If we sell Moore, then I can see us wanting to bring in another striker.

But if Moore goes, it will probably be after the Euros.

that site { one of a number } is one big guess.. often with edged bets naming 3 or 4 supposedly interested clubs...... possibly fed by agents

Tue May 25, 2021 6:46 pm

If you all remember, we signed Heidar Helguson on a free and he was getting on a bit. Waghorn will do well for us. One season won’t hurt will it? He is pretty decent from free kicks and we will miss that now Wilson has gone back to Liverpool.

Wed May 26, 2021 5:15 am

If we had not just signed a striker on a free I would be all for signing Waghorn, but I don't think we need him now.

He will be on large wages and I would prefer the club to spend money on some midfield players.

We are desperate for some guile and pace in the team.

Wed May 26, 2021 7:02 am

Sorry Africa , totally disagree...Waghorn can play just behind, coming in from wide or up front... if Moore gets injured or Collins always good to have another option to supplement lone striker or to play up front alongside one of the other two.

Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 am

kimble wrote:Sorry Africa , totally disagree...Waghorn can play just behind, coming in from wide or up front... if Moore gets injured or Collins always good to have another option to supplement lone striker or to play up front alongside one of the other two.

Perhaps Kimble, I think though that we need someone with a bit of pace behind Moore or a front two, not Waghorn.

Midfield is currently, now the loan signings gone, so so one paced, and that one pace is slow. Ralls, Pack, Bacuna, Vaulks.. if you add Waghorn to that (who admittedly is a more attacking player) then we would be such a slow side.

However, happy to be proved wrong!

Wed May 26, 2021 7:48 am

Dont we have Tomlin as well to play behind the front men :-)

Wed May 26, 2021 2:27 pm

kimble wrote:Sorry Africa , totally disagree...Waghorn can play just behind, coming in from wide or up front... if Moore gets injured or Collins always good to have another option to supplement lone striker or to play up front alongside one of the other two.

If it is a one year contract, as long as his wages arent ridiculous,which if Annos post is true re wages being more or less capped at £15k, then I get it, my concern is,as we seem to be aiming for self sufficiency,buying older players, that have no future sell on possibilities isn't the way?