Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' James Collins has said why he turned down '

Fri May 28, 2021 9:37 am

Cardiff City's latest signing James Collins has reiterated just why he turned down a host of other options to join the Bluebirds.

Luton News:

Friday 28th May 2021

Middlesbrough were one club certainly interested in taking him from Luton Town this summer, while it has emerged that Coventry City, his hometown club who he supports, offered him the same package as Cardiff.

But he chose to move to south Wales and has stated it was the duel-factor of linking back up with his former Republic of Ireland boss Mick McCarthy and the club's burning ambition to achieve Premier League promotion that sealed the deal.

JAMES COLLINS:

Speaking to the Luton News, he said:

“That is the aim of the football club, they want to be in the Premier League, that’s what the gaffer (Mick McCarthy) wants to do and that’s what I want to do.

“I want a chance to play in the Premier League at some stage and I feel like I’ve got loads more to give.

“I’m feeling fitter than ever, I’m in the prime of my career and I feel I can really add to that team and that squad.

“I’m glad that Mick has shown his faith in me.

“It proves that he likes me as a player and it’s always nice to have that off a manager, as I did off Nathan Jones the whole time (at Luton).”

Expanding on the McCarthy factor, he added: “It was massive, a really, really big part of my decision because I had some decent offers and he’s the one that I was most attracted to.

“I’ve worked with him, I like his style, I like him as a man, he’s straight down the line, and I feel that the way he plays football would suit me too.

“Cardiff City is a massive club, they were in the Premier League a few years ago and made the play-offs last year.

"I just feel at this stage of my career, at 30-years-old, it was too big an opportunity to turn down and I’m really looking forward to getting going.”

Re: ' James Collins has said why he turned down '

Fri May 28, 2021 10:55 am

Usual rubbish from players. No doubt we offered significantly more in wages!

Fri May 28, 2021 3:25 pm

DaveSt wrote:Usual rubbish from players. No doubt we offered significantly more in wages!

Hmmmmmm.he was offered the same money, to join his hometown club though, and chose us still! The manager obviously has a lot to do with his decision, and he sees us as a club with more potential.reports suggest 10k a week,hardly a kings ransom in the modern game.

Sat May 29, 2021 6:01 pm

Seems a sensible choice by the lad if he knows MM and vice versa.
If it’s 10k a week then that’s seems good value these days and will hopefully lessen the burden on Keifer .
Good luck JC

Sat May 29, 2021 7:04 pm

DaveSt wrote:Usual rubbish from players. No doubt we offered significantly more in wages!

No doubt...? :?

Have you actually read the financial threads on this Forum of late... :?

Cost-cutting is king this summer... ;)

Sat May 29, 2021 7:23 pm

Sven wrote:

Not another "money man" poster??

Sat May 29, 2021 7:36 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Sven wrote:

Not another "money man" poster??

Not sure on that; but no 'newbie' either... ;)

Sun May 30, 2021 8:47 am

Burning ambition to get to the Premiership :lol: :lol: :lol: