Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Cardiff City are weighing up a raid on “

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Cardiff City are weighing up a raid on relegated Championship duo Rotherham United and Wycombe Wanderers in a bid to further bolster their forward line for next season.

The Bluebirds have already added Luton Town's James Collins to their ranks this summer, with Mick McCarthy clearly keen on giving his side more firepower next season and remove the burden from star man Kieffer Moore.

And it seems they might not be done yet.

The Bluebirds have also taken a look at Millers forward Freddie Ladapo and Wycombe Wanderers striker Uche Ikpeazu this summer.

Their is No real money available for Mick McCarthy so he will be looking to
Lower league clubs and free transfers and a few loans.

Ladapo has previously been linked with Neil Warnock's MIddlesbrough this summer, and netted nine goals in 42 games last season.

The 29-year old currently has one year left on a three-year contract at the New York Stadium, and it's believed Rotherham would not stand in his way should a suitable offer come in.

However, reports on Teesside have already suggested that Rotherham's valuation of the player could well prove a stumbling block to any hopes of a move to the north east, and it's understood Cardiff could well find a deal equally difficult should they wish to step up any interest.

In contrast, Wycombe striker Ikpeazu could prove a more attractive option, with sources indicating that the forward has a release clause of around £300,00- £500,000 on his current contract at Adams Park.

Given that Cardiff are unlikely to splash the cash this summer, it's a move that would perhaps fit the bill from a financial point of view, while the player's ability to play the role of target man means he could tick an important box for the Bluebirds.

The 26-year old netted six goals in 31 Championship games for the Chairboys last season, and was linked with a move to the Welsh capital back in the summer of 2019.

It seems Cardiff could well be interested once more, although there's no indication of any formal approach at this stage.

Re: “ Cardiff City are weighing up a raid on “

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm a little worried that most of the links we've seen so far have been for forwards (and yes, I know it's early days!)

My worry is that the club is looking to replace Kieffer rather than sign players to play alongside him suggesting that we may be willing to sell him for the first half decent offer that comes along.

Also we are far more urgent need of some decent midfield players!

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 pm

davids wrote:I'm a little worried that most of the links we've seen so far have been for forwards (and yes, I know it's early days!)

My worry is that the club is looking to replace Kieffer rather than sign players to play alongside him suggesting that we may be willing to sell him for the first half decent offer that comes along.

Also we are far more urgent need of some decent midfield players!

It's the silly season and journalists need to fill column inches with total waffle.Transfers wont really happen until after the Euros. Lots of players are out of contract this summer. Patience is the key.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Probably just paper talk. Difficult to get too excited about either. They sound like the sort of hard working lower division journeymen who maybe are at the level they should be at with Wycombe and Rotherham but are not obviously any better than that. Suppose one of them might make a useful squad player wouldn't want both of them.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:08 am

Crayfish wrote:Probably just paper talk. Difficult to get too excited about either. They sound like the sort of hard working lower division journeymen who maybe are at the level they should be at with Wycombe and Rotherham but are not obviously any better than that. Suppose one of them might make a useful squad player wouldn't want both of them.

Can't say they inspire me with confidence unless on cheap wages and will be back up only.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:17 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Probably just paper talk. Difficult to get too excited about either. They sound like the sort of hard working lower division journeymen who maybe are at the level they should be at with Wycombe and Rotherham but are not obviously any better than that. Suppose one of them might make a useful squad player wouldn't want both of them.

Can't say they inspire me with confidence unless on cheap wages and will be back up only.

I do not believe for one minute that we are interested in these two!

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Igovernor wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:

I do not believe for one minute that we are interested in these two!

I think you're right

Would be disappointed with any of them to be honest

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Let's hope and pray this is just lazy journalism. Neither are good enough, and why do we need them?
Moore, Collins, Harris, Watters are all better than them. The only one they may not be better than is sick note Vassell. Then most of us on this board are more use than him.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 pm

Looking For Bargains ;)

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Verdict on Lapado from my mate who supports Rotherham.

He’s not a target man. He plays on his heels, struggles to read the game and is poor back to goal and poor touch. He has an air of unpredictability about him and can hit a cracker every now and again but his conversion rate of chances is very poor.
Be very surprised if this is a genuine target for McCarthy ,he just doesn’t seem his type of player.
If you gave us 800k-1m for him it would be great business for us imo.