Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY AND INTERNATIONAL QUESTION...

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Prior to Keiffer Moore's super goal for Wales today, who was the last 'current' (i.e with the club at the time) Bluebird player to score in the finals of a major competition...?

Can't think of any for Wales (Ivor Allchurch joined well after his two goals in the 1958 World Cup) but there maybe some with other countries...?

Re: CARDIFF CITY AND INTERNATIONAL QUESTION...

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Sven wrote:Prior to Keiffer Moore's super goal for Wales today, who was the last 'current' (i.e with the club at the time) Bluebird player to score in the finals of a major competition...?

Can't think of any for Wales (Ivor Allchurch joined well after his two goals in the 1958 World Cup) but there maybe some with other countries...?

You don't need to go that far back Chris as Junior Hoilett scored for Canada against Jamaica in the Quarter Final of the 2017 Concacaf Gold Cup Finals.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:51 pm

castleblue wrote:
Sven wrote:Prior to Keiffer Moore's super goal for Wales today, who was the last 'current' (i.e with the club at the time) Bluebird player to score in the finals of a major competition...?

You don't need to go that far back Chris as Junior Hoilett scored for Canada against Jamaica in the Quarter Final of the 2017 Concacaf Gold Cup Finals.

Fair play Gary we can always rely on you to come up with a left of field answer :thumbup:

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Fair play Gary we can always rely on you to come up with a left of field answer :thumbup:

Got to hand it to Gary again... :clap: :ayatollah: :notworthy:

And poor old Junior has only just left the club...! :roll: :laughing6:

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:52 pm

Thanks both but there is another player not long before Junior and it was Kenwyne Jones who scored for Trinidad and Tobago in the group stages of the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup and followed that with a goal against Panama in the quarter final plus a goal in the penalty shoot out.

Struggling to find any others but you never know.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:57 pm

castleblue wrote:Thanks both but there is another player not long before Junior and it was Kenwyne Jones who scored for Trinidad and Tobago in the group stages of the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup and followed that with a goal against Panama in the quarter final plus a goal in the penalty shoot out.

Struggling to find any others but you never know.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Has a City player ever captained an international team in a major tournament?

The answer is yes..... but who?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Gary medel?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Got this wrong I'm afraid although did have the player right as Junior Hoilett scored 2 goals for Canada in the 2019 Concacaf Gold cup finals, one goal against Martinique on 15th June 2019 followed with another against Cuba on 23rd June. However 2 days earlier another City player, Leandro Bacuna scored for Curacao against Honduras.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Wayne S wrote:Has a City player ever captained an international team in a major tournament?

Aron Gunnarsonn.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:32 pm

castleblue wrote:
Wayne S wrote:Has a City player ever captained an international team in a major tournament?

Aron Gunnarsonn.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I'd take him back.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Bruno Manga - Africa Cup of Nations

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:52 pm

mugsy wrote:Bruno Manga - Africa Cup of Nations

He was my first thought but no he has only scored in qualifiers.