Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Matty James '

Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:04 am

Matty James being tracked by Bristol City, Swansea and Cardiff

13 June 2021

Free agent Matty James is being chased by a trio of clubs.

The 29-year-old is leaving this month after nine years at the club and Bristol City, City and are all interested.

James joined Leicester from in May 2012 and went on to feature for them 117 times in all competitions, scoring five goals as the team lifted both the Championship and Premier League titles.

Bristol City, Swansea and Cardiff are all interested in signing Matty James on a free transfer

He started last season on loan at Barnsley before joining Coventry City for the second half of the campaign. He featured 24 times for the Sky Blues in all competitions, scoring three goals and helped them to a 16th place finish in the Championship.

Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson knows James well having signed him for Leicester in 2012

James' spell at Leicester, which spanned nine years, will finish at the end of this month

Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson knows James well having signed him while at Leicester while his experience is viewed as an asset by their Championship promotion rivals Swansea and Cardiff City.

James allayed fears about his fitness after previous injuries while at Barnsley and then Coventry where manager Mark Robins was very impressed by his contribution, describing him as 'a manager's dream'.

Re: ' Matty James '

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:42 pm

Injury prone and 117 appearances in 9 years it would be a no for me. Don't see him improving on what we have

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:13 pm

I don't know much about him but we need to learn no more injury prone crocks. The ones we've got vassall and tomlin are a massive drain on salaries and in essence means we've two less players to pick from. We were down to the bear bones at the end of last season so any signings must be able to play regularly. Jonny Williams shouldn't be re engaged either on the same basis.
With covid and the financial pressures on clubs there will be many players out of contract who clubs would have liked to have kept who will now be available as free agents and unlike Joe Bennett will need to be more realistic about contracts lengths and wages.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:30 pm

No from me too. I wouldn't mind an older creative midfielder, but I'd rather have some younger players showing potential if he's as injury-prone as it appears.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 am

On the plus side: He is an excellent passer and retains the ball so well. Very good in possession.

Negative side: He is sooooo slow and our midfield needs PACE and more GUILE.

Also, while he had an injury-free season, injuries have plagued his career.

On reflection it would only be a YES if we move Pack and another midfielder along and also recruit another midfielder with more pace and guile.

But having ANY combination of James, Pack, Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks in midfield seems suicide.