Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ashley Williams / Kieffer Moore / 'Nightmare'

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:11 am

Why Kieffer Moore is a 'nightmare'

Monday 14th June 2021

Swansea City and Wales legend Ashley Williams has explained just why Kieffer Moore is such a "nightmare" for defenders after the striker grabbed an invaluable point against Switzerland.

There was a modicum of doubt over whether Cardiff City striker Moore would lead the line against the Swiss, with some believing Aaron Ramsey would start in the false 9 role.

However, Moore was given the nod and Rob Page was vindicated in his decision.

Former defender Williams, who captained Wales out in France five years ago, believes Moore now has to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

ASHLEY WILLIAMS:

"I think Kieffer Moore is a cert to keep his place in our attack," Williams wrote in his BBC column.

"For me, he has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. We all called for him to come back into the side for Saturday's game, and he showed why.

"I like him because he is old-school - he puts himself about. He might get fouled but he is happy giving fouls away too, and he just loves causing problems for centre-halves. I played against him when I was at Bristol City and he was an absolute nightmare to deal with.

"He is a much better footballer than he gets credit for too - because he is fast, mobile and good with the ball at his feet.

"Kieffer is clever as well, as he showed with his goal against the Swiss. He never just stays static and waits for people to find him.

"His journey to the Wales squad and this tournament has been an incredible one. He was working as a lifeguard in his early 20s and, five years ago, when we were at the Euros, he was playing for Forest Green in the National League.

"Now he is an integral part of this team and he is going to cause more top international teams a lot of problems, starting with Turkey on Wednesday."

Given the rigmarole Moore has endured following a season playing week in, week out for Cardiff, Page has admitted the player might have to be managed as the tournament goes on.

"The domestic season at Championship level has been relentless because of Covid," said Page.

"It has been Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday.

"Kieffer came into camp in March and he was injured with his heels, so we've had to protect him.

"He didn't need the two games as much as some of the others. There were so many players that we had that needed minutes in those two friendlies.

"It wasn't about formation, it wasn't about personnel, it was about getting players on the pitch to make sure they were right for the Switzerland game."