Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Joe Bennett

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:03 am

Just saw Joe Bennett, is looking good and training hard every day, still wears his Cardiff top. Watched some great videos, Bennett deserved a new contract. big loss and will cost a lot to replace.

Getting himself fit and still training at the Vale :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Joe Bennett

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:08 am

Just shows you how lazy Lee Tomlin is and has no real desire.

I agree Bennett will be a big loss and our run ended when we lost Bennett.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:48 am

I am not too fussed on keeping bennett, although it of course depends who comes in to replace him.. but he certainly has been a magnificent player for us and what a professional. As mentioned on this thread, what an example of a player who is 100% committed to getting fit after a serious injury... other players take note!

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:03 am

Great player for us over a sustained period of time. Technically gifted and gets stuck in. Unfortunately, if he’s asking too much in wages, it’s a no go. Given the stage of his career, he’s probably after a two year contract somewhere (not one) and I wish him all the best.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:30 am

and yet we keep the useless midfielders - the worst in the championship.

put em all on the transfer list

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:45 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:Great player for us over a sustained period of time. Technically gifted and gets stuck in. Unfortunately, if he’s asking too much in wages, it’s a no go. Given the stage of his career, he’s probably after a two year contract somewhere (not one) and I wish him all the best.

Agree with all that.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:02 am

Reply Twitter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 am

He's been a genuine player with class. Sorry to see him go.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 am

Reply FB:

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 am

He's a decent leftback, one of the best we've had since I've watched city. He had his off spells but I think we should have kept him.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:54 am

Not so great defensively.I remember Frederick's ripping him to shreds in an F.Acup tie v Fulham

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:Great player for us over a sustained period of time. Technically gifted and gets stuck in. Unfortunately, if he’s asking too much in wages, it’s a no go. Given the stage of his career, he’s probably after a two year contract somewhere (not one) and I wish him all the best.

Great post. Like you I appreciate that JB has been a fantastic servant for the club. Also we didn't pay a transfer fee for him either.

However we have to live within our means. I'm sure he was offered the supposed maximum wage of £15kpw but presumably thought he could do better else where which he has a perfect right to do so.

Good luck to him.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:57 am

Just watched Bennett’s videos trying, fair play :thumbright: :thumbright: looking already really good.

Surprising how some players can do it and then others cost us a whole season of high wages Mr Tomlin.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:41 am

A small part of me wonders if we may actually see Bennett play for us again.

I'm sure he will have plenty of clubs that would be keen but if no offers actually come in for him then surely we can give him 2 years if he wanted it.
Still able to play at this level and I don't think we'd get anyone better for little or no money spent

Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:47 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:A small part of me wonders if we may actually see Bennett play for us again.

I'm sure he will have plenty of clubs that would be keen but if no offers actually come in for him then surely we can give him 2 years if he wanted it.
Still able to play at this level and I don't think we'd get anyone better for little or no money spent

Rhys, what I am hearing is yes Bennett was willing to take a lower wage but wanted a 2 year new contract, City offered low but 1 year.

I know the a couple of the backroom staff and they say Bennett is making incredible progress as he has trained 7 days a week at the Vale.

If what i am hearing is correct i think another Championship club will take Bennett in July and City will regret it.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:A small part of me wonders if we may actually see Bennett play for us again.

Rhys, what I am hearing is yes Bennett was willing to take a lower wage but wanted a 2 year new contract, City offered low but 1 year.

I know the a couple of the backroom staff and they say Bennett is making incredible progress as he has trained 7 days a week at the Vale.

If what i am hearing is correct i think another Championship club will take Bennett in July and City will regret it.

Is there any chance he could stay, if he proves his fitness?

Seems he is still in the area :thumbup:

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 pm

Joe is the best Left Back we have had since I have followed Cardiff (92). I know others have followed longer and might have seen better depending on how long they have been going.

I'm struggling think of anyone who's come close, Leggy for passion but not ability. Andrew Taylor for example was ok and did his best but he made Joe look like Roberto Carlos.

He's always given his all for the shirt and I remember he played again Arsenal I think it was the night after his Dad had died. A top professional I wish him well.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 pm

RV Casual wrote:Joe is the best Left Back we have had since I have followed Cardiff (92). I know others have followed longer and might have seen better depending on how long they have been going.

I'm struggling think of anyone who's come close, Leggy for passion but not ability. Andrew Taylor for example was ok and did his best but he made Joe look like Roberto Carlos.

He's always given his all for the shirt and I remember he played again Arsenal I think it was the night after his Dad had died. A top professional I wish him well.

I agree with you, mate :thumbup:

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:09 am

My guess is that the reason he is still training and has his Cardiff top on is because his contract doesn't expire until the 30th June until which time he is still a Cardiff City player.

I think he's been ok for us but not the greatest defender - so many times he's gone wandering upfield and left his position uncovered.

Having said that he was excellent at wing back at the start of the McCarthy reign and it may be no coincidence that our great run under Mick ended when he got injured.

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:57 am

davids wrote:My guess is that the reason he is still training and has his Cardiff top on is because his contract doesn't expire until the 30th June until which time he is still a Cardiff City player.

I think he's been ok for us but not the greatest defender - so many times he's gone wandering upfield and left his position uncovered.

Having said that he was excellent at wing back at the start of the McCarthy reign and it may be no coincidence that our great run under Mick ended when he got injured.

yes he has been eager joins attacks and has done so under all 4 managers he has played for here.. ? maybe he is encouraged to do it.... ive always thought he was and never seen a manager have a rant about it or drop him {which im sure would happen had he just wandered around } .. on the other hand ive seen a manager really peed of with a player for not dropping in to cover him ....??????????

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:20 am

You would think hes a world beater reading some of these comments. Quite good on the ball I agree but very limited defensively

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:27 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:You would think hes a world beater reading some of these comments. Quite good on the ball I agree but very limited defensively

Not sure i have seen the words world beater mentioned by anyone other th you in this thread. Just a bit of respect from people for someone who has been a model pro and one of if not our best ever left backs, say something constructive or go and be a dickhead on planet plumb Jack

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:03 pm

It's a shame really because we could be looking at a strong team coming into next season. There is always time for the club to change there mind on Bennett. It clearly seems he loves the club still.

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:11 pm

davids wrote:My guess is that the reason he is still training and has his Cardiff top on is because his contract doesn't expire until the 30th June until which time he is still a Cardiff City player.

Can you name many better than him in recent history?

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Can you name many better than him in recent history?

Not many no.

But if you accept that a full back's primary job is to be solid in defence then I would argue that although he mostly played right back, Kevin McNaughton was head and shoulders above Bennett as a defender.

Once you get over the halfway line though Bennett is s far better player than Kev.

I would say that Andrew Taylor was a slightly better defender than Bennett is and the closest to Bennett we've had recently is probably Scott Malone, who was also better in the opposition half than he was at defending - although I do think Bennett is a better player overall than Malone.

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Not a Jack but a fan who has seen far better left backs than Bennett.Bobby Ferguson, Peter Rodrigues, Gary Bell Ray Daniel, Clive Charles for starters.Ask your Dad, RVCasual

Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:Not a Jack but a fan who has seen far better left backs than Bennett.Bobby Ferguson, Peter Rodrigues, Gary Bell Ray Daniel, Clive Charles for starters.Ask your Dad, RVCasual

Some good ones there mate...

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:Not a Jack but a fan who has seen far better left backs than Bennett.Bobby Ferguson, Peter Rodrigues, Gary Bell Ray Daniel, Clive Charles for starters.Ask your Dad, RVCasual

All these players were before my time, but in the modern game - where a greater emphasis is placed on an attacking full back and the introduction of one and sometimes two holding midfielders to sweep across defensively - Bennett is the best I’ve seen. He has great technical ability, gets stuck into a challenge and puts a good shift in, which I think is relatable to the hard working South Wales public. Just my respectful opinion of course. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, when did you start supporting Cardiff City, it’s obviously been a while in all fairness.

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Is this right though ?

I thought somebody on here posted that he'd sold his home down here and bought one in Surrey (??) months ago ?

I agree that it would be a mistake to let Bennett go just for the sake of an extra year on the contract but if he was looking for money or wanted to move his family that's probably the deciding factor whatever we offer him.

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:29 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Is this right though ?

I thought somebody on here posted that he'd sold his home down here and bought one in Surrey (??) months ago ?

I agree that it would be a mistake to let Bennett go just for the sake of an extra year on the contract but if he was looking for money or wanted to move his family that's probably the deciding factor whatever we offer him.

Hes definitely moved out of his house near cowbridge, I know the person who cleaned it after they went ,apparently moved London way