Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Wales to face hostile reception as '

Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:11 am

Wales to face hostile reception as 30,000 Turkish supporters dwarf 400 Welsh fans in Baku

Gareth Bale will lead out Wales for their second Euro 2020 match in what will be like a home game for Turkey

Wednesday 16th June 2021

Wales fans will be completely outnumbered by the passionate Turkish support in Baku

Wales are bracing themselves for a hostile welcome when they face Turkey in their second Euro 2020 clash on Wednesday night.

Around 400 Welsh fans have travelled to Azerbaijan to watch Rob Page's side in their two fixtures in the capital city of Baku, making themselves heard during the opening day 1-1 draw with Switzerland.

But it will be a completely different environment against the Turks, who will have up to 30,000 fans roaring them on as they look to bounce back from a 3-0 thrashing to Italy.

Azerbaijan locals will be giving their full backing to the country they call "brothers", and it means Page's side will be up against it on and off the pitch.

Fenerbahce supporter Samet Kurt has waited for almost two years to watch his country in the tournament and now has the chance to be in attendance in Baku.

"We have been expecting this for two years. We are really excited to be here," he told Wales Online.

"We will be all together, not only the Turkish, but the Azerbaijan fans are with us. We are all Turkish.

"We will start the match at 1-0. That's my expectation."

Samet's close friend Furkan Ozcan, who is a Galatasaray supporter, was even more optimistic.

"It is going to be 3-0 to Turkey!" he said.

The Baku Olympic Stadium has a capacity of 70,000 and there were just over 8,000 inside as Wales took on the Swiss.

However, Wales' remaining Group A battles with Turkey, and then against Italy in Rome at the weekend, will feel like away fixtures.

Looking ahead to the Wednesday night clash, Wales fan Nick Gartside said: "We'll be outnumbered by the Turkish supporters.

"We know normally we'd have had a lot more Welsh fans out here. Us Welsh fans will have to sing a lot louder to drown them out I think! The atmosphere will be different from the Saturday game."

The huge support for the Turks is something that has been a hot topic of discussion in the Wales camp in recent days and they are ready for the challenge.

Welsh captain Gareth Bale said: "I think it’s good to be playing in front of big crowds. I think we’d prefer it to be 34,000 Wales fans. It’s obviously not meant to be.

"But whenever I’ve played in Turkey before the atmospheres have been incredible. We understand they’re going to be cheering on the Turkish team, but you want to be playing in front of crowds. It’ll be be nice to get back to a bit of normality."

Chelsea youngster Ethan Ampadu, who is hoping for a call-up into the Wales starting XI, said: “Everyone is saying it is going to be hostile but we are looking forward to it.

"We have had games without fans for so long now and we are looking forward to having an atmosphere – whether it is hostile, I doubt it will be a positive atmosphere for us."

Turkey will be backed by the locals in Azerbaijan when they face Wales

Turkey will have lots of support

Turkey are bidding to keep their hopes of progressing into the knockout stages going by securing a positive result against Wales.

Their 3-0 loss to Italy could well have dampened spirits ahead of the remaining two group matches, but Metein Shan, a Galatasaray supporter, believes the fans will play their part against Wales.

He said: "The first match with Italy, we didn't play very well.

"I think the match against Wales will be different. We will have a lot of supporters so it will be different from the first match.

"We have a lot of young players, and we played in Italy with a lot of experienced players. If we can strike the first goal, I think we will win. For our team, the fans will have a very positive effect."

It seems those in the Turkish camp are also fully embracing the support they will receive for what will feel like a home fixture.

"I would like to start by saying thanks to Azerbaijan citizens, they are our friends and brothers, since we came here we have felt it," said Turkey's captain Burak Yilmaz.

"In Italy we were an away game – 100% from the beginning.

"Tomorrow we will be at home and it will make a host of difference.

"The Azeri people have been with us, it will give us great feelings and with their help we can win this game."

However, after seeing Turkey lose emphatically against the Italians, it seems many Wales fans are confident that Page's men can do the business and secure what would be a vital three points as they seek to make the knockout stages.

Nicholas Mark Jones, who has spent a week in Baku to roar on Wales, is adamant Bale and his team can put the crowd issue to the back of their minds and deliver the goods.

"Turkey is a lot closer to Azerbaijan than the effort we made to get here," he said.

"You look at the Azerbaijan people and there's a lot of Turkish culture here. But at the end of the day, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for our boys.

"I do believe that could be a big difference in mentality. France was great five years ago but in our generation we've seen the narrow losses and failures.

"But I believe.Why can't we go further this time? I'm quietly confident we can win 2-0!"

Re: ' Wales to face hostile reception as '

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:35 pm

What hostile reception?!

35k of them.
400 of us.

And you could hear our anthem being sung on about 80mins! Great effort!

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 am

And they (Turkey) got a hostile result in return...! :lol: :lol: :lol: :occasion5:

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 am

:lol: :lol: :thumbright: :thumbright: