Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OFFICIAL " CARDIFF CITY SIGN DEFENDER "

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:01 pm

MarkMcGuinness_05.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144783 :bluebird:

Cardiff City Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of central defender Mark McGuinness.

The 20-year-old joins from Arsenal and has agreed a deal until the summer of 2024. He is Mick McCarthy’s second summer signing.

McGuinness is an U21 international for the Republic of Ireland. He spent the 2020/21 season on loan with Ipswich Town in League One, appearing in 25 competitive matches and scoring once.

Mark McGuinness was released by Arsenal at the end of last season after making no first team appearances for the Gunners.

MarkMcGuinness_01.jpg

Speaking to Cardiff City TV, Mark said: "As soon as a Club like Cardiff City were interested I was excited and I couldn't miss this opportunity.

"It's nice to get everything sorted early on and hopefully I can meet the boys and get going.

"My job is to stop the ball going into the back of the net. I love heading and I love defending.

"It's a great opportunity for me to learn and improve in the next few years at the Club."

MarkMcGuinness_04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OFFICIAL " CARDIFF CITY SIGN DEFENDER "

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:06 pm

C40AC147-C1E2-4994-8994-0020DFC7627B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:10 pm

Looks a handy signing. Good luck to him.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Out of no where hopefully a decent signing ,don't know much about him

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Welcome young man and all the very best.

Let's hope we're all raising a Guinness or two to you in your City career!

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:22 pm

Reading some comments on him form Ipswich fans he seems to have done reasonably well for them,good in the air and can bring the ball out of defence. Looked a little raw at times for them but will have no doubt improved having had 25 games for Ipswich last season. The jury was out for them as too whether he would be good enough to start at championship level. He should be well schooled having been at Arsenal so long.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:27 pm

Crayfish wrote:Reading some comments on him form Ipswich fans he seems to have done reasonably well for them,good in the air and can bring the ball out of defence. Looked a little raw at times for them but will have no doubt improved having had 25 games for Ipswich last season. The jury was out for them as too whether he would be good enough to start at championship level. He should be well schooled having been at Arsenal so long.

We got Nelson from Oxford that turned out good ,maybe this lad will too

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Welcome :thumbright: :bluebird:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144783 :bluebird:

Welcome to the Championship :bluebird:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Reply FB:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Why sign a league one player aged 20? If we have loads of under 23 so called amazing players ready to play?

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Reply FB:

To my knowledge “Mozza” is going no where and with the way we play we will need more CB’s for cover over a long season. Brown will probably go out on loan with a recall if he’s needed.

More announcements imminent :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:59 pm

Always City wrote:Why sign a league one player aged 20? If we have loads of under 23 so called amazing players ready to play?

Maybe because he's better than the ones we got :lol:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Some Arsenal fans seem to rate him - twitter comments below:

Jeorge Bird
@jeorgebird
I expected some youngsters to leave permanently but McGuinness going to Cardiff is a bit of a surprise. He’s a good defender and has improved a lot in recent years but there are so many centre-backs at the club.
1:05 pm · 21 Jun 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Retweets
Quote Tweet
@Onyiax9
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
So it's not a loan? Wow wrong move
KINGCrown
@_IKENNA_
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
This is what I’ve been saying. We have a lot of centrebacks and still adding more like trying out Aron Sanchez
Abu-Aaisha.
@MoosadaWarrior
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
No ways, thought they'd give him a looking,
@Arsenal
recruitment is like way off the target. This is gonna bite them hard.
Sharath Krishnan
@Kannanz2207
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Hope we have a first choice to buy
Tim Hardwicke
@Arselona
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Ex scout at Cardiff.
S
@ST101632
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Are we getting any transfer fees for these players?
Hectic Bellerin
@Bellerins_Boots
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Did we get a fee?
Reda Samir
@IE_Reda
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
I don't see it coming, I think the club have added re-purchase option.
Richard
@richardbrown31
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Just hope they're putting some good clauses on these deals, just in case they do well.
Shaquille Houghton
@ShaquilleHough5
·
1h
Replying to
@jeorgebird
If they sell Ballard I would be upsetTired face
Jon McRoe
@JMcRoe
·
53m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Thought he would go out on loan to the championship this year after doin well in league one. Not sure on his contract situation though
Mikey sanchez
@Mikeysanchez27
·
48m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Getting rid of the Irish core Disappointed but relieved faceDisappointed but relieved faceDisappointed but relieved face
Mike Schneider
@schneidermike
·
47m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
I’m shocked by this one.
Declan Heavin
@decheavin
·
35m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Thats a shame I was hoping an Irishman would play for the first team again Flag of Ireland
David Reichert
@DavidReichert1
·
33m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
I can come to terms with it if there is a buy-back clause included.
Amran
@AFCAmran
·
33m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
He’s so good on the ball, can’t forget his header vs MK Dons too
0:01 / 0:05
Abu ThahirFlag of India
@indiangooner6
·
19m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Did we get any transfer fee for him
@jeorgebird
David Gesterkamp
@KiwiDaveGkamp
·
17m
Replying to
@jeorgebird
Must have got a fee for him right? Decent player

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:30 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Always City wrote:Why sign a league one player aged 20? If we have loads of under 23 so called amazing players ready to play?

Maybe because he's better than the ones we got :lol:

I know what a pathetic thing to say :laughing6:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm

where do you keep reading about loads of amazing under 23 players..

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:59 pm

I may have missed it but what was the fee?

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Another giant CB 6.4ft tall,brought up the Arsenal way. He should be a good addition to the team.
adding youth and pace with good passing ability.
Good luck Mark welcome to Cardiff City. :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Out of contract Pantmawr Bluebird :bluebird:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:18 pm

Welcome to Cardiff lad, maybe we will get to see you soon and good luck to you :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 pm

None of the youth team players mentioned as being very promising are centre backs though. Think he will be at least good cover if not ready to go into the first team fairly soon having gained league experience at Ipswich last season.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:58 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
MarkMcGuinness_05.jpg

https://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 2&t=144783 :bluebird:

Cardiff City Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of central defender Mark McGuinness.

The 20-year-old joins from Arsenal and has agreed a deal until the summer of 2024. He is Mick McCarthy’s second summer signing.

McGuinness is an U21 international for the Republic of Ireland. He spent the 2020/21 season on loan with Ipswich Town in League One, appearing in 25 competitive matches and scoring once.

Mark McGuinness was released by Arsenal at the end of last season after making no first team appearances for the Gunners.

MarkMcGuinness_01.jpg

Speaking to Cardiff City TV, Mark said: "As soon as a Club like Cardiff City were interested I was excited and I couldn't miss this opportunity.

"It's nice to get everything sorted early on and hopefully I can meet the boys and get going.

"My job is to stop the ball going into the back of the net. I love heading and I love defending.

"It's a great opportunity for me to learn and improve in the next few years at the Club."

MarkMcGuinness_04.jpg

Welcome Macca, we look forward to seeing you smash your way into the team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm

skidemin wrote:

where do you keep reading about loads of amazing under 23 players..

The same place he saw £600 million income from premier league.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:02 pm

Sounds like a decent signing. Young, football league experience and didn't cost anything(?). Morrison and Flint getting on now so we need some young CBs coming through.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 pm

Morrison is a hell of a player to learn off. Especially at our level. A true warrior abs leader in every sense of the word for us.

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 pm

Welcome :bluebird:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Welcome and good luck Mark

Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 am

The bluebird shirt looks tons better on you kid ;) welcome to the roller coaster that's CARDIFF CITY :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: