Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MARK McGUINESS INTERVIEW:

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:16 am

Mark McGuinness, Cardiff City's raw new centre back who has just been released by Arsenal, with Cardiff signing McGuinness as a free agent.

McGuiness was on loan at League one Ipswich Town last season and then returned to Arsenal, but was released at the end of last season.

MARK McGUINESS INTERVIEW:

Q. Nice to get it all done and settled before pre-season?

"Last year was all a bit of a rush with Ipswich. I went in at the start of the season, so it's nice to get everything sorted, smooth process.

"Hopefully I'll meet the boys and get everything going next week."

Q. Must be difficult not having the opportunity to meet any of the players yet?

"It's always difficult coming into a new environment, but I've met a few of the lads at the training ground already when I went for a walkabout the other day.

"I look forward to meeting everyone there. All the staff as well."

Q What attracted you to Cardiff? The manager?

"Yeah, the manager.

"The Irish connection, the Ipswich connections as well.

"But just the size of the club, a club that has got aspirations to be in the Premier League was massive for me.

"As soon as a club like Cardiff was interested I was excited and couldn't miss the opportunity."

Q. How was Ipswich and what you did you learn?

"It was a fantastic experience for me, my first proper taste of men's football.

"I really enjoyed it. I got every experience possible; there were manager changes and I was in and out of the team, but I had that spell of about 19 games back to back, Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday, which was new for me.

"But once you get into the rhythm of that, our body adapts and that was fantastic for me, coming into the Championship now, the same sort of schedule, higher intensity. That helped me.

"From the footballing side, the experience, I was among some older heads there who have so many appearances for Ipswich. Just learning from them guys and absorbing all the information, hopefully I can relay that on to the pitch with Cardiff now."

Q. A no-nonsense defender?

"Yeah, that's me.

"I love heading. That's one of my strengths. I love defending, just blocking, that's what I love doing."

Q. Mick McCarthy was a centre-back, an invaluable opportunity for you to learn?

"Definitely. I'll be picking his brains every day in training, learning from him as well as the other guys there.

"It's a great opportunity for me to learn and improve over the next few years at the club."

Q. You have youth caps with Ireland, that's the career plan now?

"Definitely. It's a hectic schedule coming up to Christmas, European qualifiers for the under-21s, but my goals is to play in the senior team.

"Obviously baby steps at the moment. The 21s have got a great opportunity in the qualifiers coming up. Great games, too, which will help me develop and get that extra game time in."

Q. All back in for pre-season soon, tests next week and you'll be able to get a feel for it?

"Think we are back in next week, Thursday and Friday for some testing, so I'll get to know the boys.

"It'll be nice to see everyone. Hopefully by the week after I'll be hitting the ground running on the training pitch."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MARK McGUINESS INTERVIEW:

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Welcome MARK TO THE BIGGEST CLUB IN WALES

Re: MARK McGUINESS INTERVIEW:

Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:15 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: