Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh fans want England to win Euro 2020, says ex Wales int

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:18 am

Sky Sports:

Welsh fans want England to win Euro 2020, says ex Wales international James Collins

Tuesday 29 Jun 2021

The former Wales international James Collins has claimed Wales fans want England to win Euro 2020.

The retired footballer, who played for Cardiff City and West Ham, and won 51 caps for his country, was speaking on the FootballJOE podcast ahead of England’s clash with Germany for a place in the quarter finals.

Collins originally predicted that England would lose their tie to Germany 2-1, but then scrapped that prediction and backed them to win by the same score.

James Collins: “You know what. I’ll take it back, 2-1 England… I don’t want any of that ‘I don’t want England to win’, because I really do, do you know what I mean?

“If Wales don’t go and win it, I’m supporting England as far as they can go.”

Former England international Joe Cole said: “Likewise mate – let’s stick together.”

Collins added: “Exactly, 100%. There’s no divide, do you know what I mean? That’s all the talk that Wales players or Wales fans don’t want England to win – they do.

“Do you know what I mean, if Wales get knocked out, we want to go and see England win it.

“Harry Kane needs to turn up, I think he obviously it’s been well documented that he’s struggled a little bit.

“I think big games, big players turn up and I’m expecting a big game from Harry on Tuesday night.”

Re: Welsh fans want England to win Euro 2020, says ex Wales

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:20 am

I personally would love England to win it :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

I would also have wanted Wales without a doubt :thumbright: and Scotland or Northern Ireland :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:27 am

Wouldn't want England to win a game of tiddly winks

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:40 am

Forever Blue wrote:I personally would love England to win it :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

I would also have wanted Wales without a doubt :thumbright: and Scotland or Northern Ireland :thumbright: :thumbright:

I have no problem with Englnd winning it Annis, but I won't be able to stand hearing about it for the rest of my days if they do...

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:45 am

NIBluebird wrote:Wouldn't want England to win a game of tiddly winks

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :notworthy:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:49 am

i was warming towards England winning it should it not be ourselves ..but the media coverage last week convinced me otherwise..im now fully in agreement with them and id like the Danes to win it for Christian....

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:I personally would love England to win it :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Spot On Annis, Welsh/British, Scots/British, N Irish/British, English/British that's what makes us unique and a Great British Nation. :occasion5: :clap:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 am

With you on this, Annis.... :thumbup:

I know older people in Wales that still refer to 'us' winning the World Cup in 1966 when we all know it was West Ham Utd... :lol:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 am

Rather any other team than them scum bags there half German anyway lol

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:48 am

Ginge is fibbing a bit here.

I don't care if they win or lose, to say i want them to win is pushing it.

England Vs Iceland was different. We had the Gunnar affect, as well as a small committed country vs a powerhouse, we all love an underdog. But, England Germany is a different ball game.

I expect England to win, they should. Kane is one of the best strikers in Europe with some exciting attacking midfielders but they have the anchor of an uninspiring achieved very little manager.

My free Paddy Power free bet is under 2.5 goals; BTTS (no) and over 40 pts in bookings @ 5.74/1. I am expecting a boring low scoring game with lots of professional niggly fouls

I don't mind the England football team, its the hangers on who suddenly find a voice when their team suddenly starts doing well that do it for me.... I had it five years ago, all of a sudden there were new Welsh fans in my office goading English fans who never had a scooby what they were talking about....

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:55 am

Agree.

Wanted them to win the World Cup three years ago as we weren't there, and will be pleased for them if they win this tournament.

They'll have a very good chance if they beat Germany later.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 pm

If Wales can’t win i will always want a home national to win it If England win good for them It will increase crowds at football and City will benefit from that and the banter between fans will be excellent between the welsh and english clubs

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:

I have no problem with Englnd winning it Annis, but I won't be able to stand hearing about it for the rest of my days if they do...

I’m with you on that. If they win you can imagine they will all be knighted by the queen just like the Rugby players.

It’s a never from me I’ll take as much enjoyment them not winning as most of them did when we got knocked out.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:33 pm

English media got no time for wales so likewise be glad when they go out of the competition so we don' t have to hear england before between and after every game even when its not them playing
it spoils the tournament i would' nt want to hear about wales at every conceivable chance to mention and all the english fans i now hate wales and cardiff apart when they come on holidays

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Absolutely not.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Absolutely no chance.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:54 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Ginge is fibbing a bit here.

I don't care if they win or lose, to say i want them to win is pushing it.

England Vs Iceland was different. We had the Gunnar affect, as well as a small committed country vs a powerhouse, we all love an underdog. But, England Germany is a different ball game.

I expect England to win, they should. Kane is one of the best strikers in Europe with some exciting attacking midfielders but they have the anchor of an uninspiring achieved very little manager.

My free Paddy Power free bet is under 2.5 goals; BTTS (no) and over 40 pts in bookings @ 5.74/1. I am expecting a boring low scoring game with lots of professional niggly fouls

I don't mind the England football team, its the hangers on who suddenly find a voice when their team suddenly starts doing well that do it for me.... I had it five years ago, all of a sudden there were new Welsh fans in my office goading English fans who never had a scooby what they were talking about....

Agree that it will probably be low scoring but a lot of cards.

Used my free bet on Toni Kroos and Luke Shaw both to be carded - not a bad price at 16/1 for two players who normally make a lot of challenges.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:26 pm

no chance f**k england :wave:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:47 pm

It’s a no from me. I hope england get stuffed. Some of the comments on social media since Wales got knocked out are vile.
Come on Germany!!!!

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:52 pm

No thanks, a nice 4-0 battering tonight would do nicely.
Don’t personally understand the “we’re both British so I’ll support them” mentality, I wouldn’t want Swansea winning the FA Cup or Premier League just because they’re Welsh.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:05 pm

To each their own but I’d be happy to see England win. I don’t think they will but won’t complain if they do

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:23 pm

Ben brought up very young not to support England. Even supported Germans in 1990 when I was young.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:01 pm

montyblue wrote:English media got no time for wales so likewise be glad when they go out of the competition so we don' t have to hear england before between and after every game even when its not them playing
it spoils the tournament i would' nt want to hear about wales at every conceivable chance to mention and all the english fans i now hate wales and cardiff apart when they come on holidays

On the contrary they were very supportive of us at the Euros in 2016.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm

I’ve wanted England to win every tournament they’ve been in since I started watching football in Mexico 1970. That WG defeat still rankles.
Its nothing to do with union rivalry- it’s just that bar the last 2 Euros (and the WCs England didn’t qualify for) my Britishness has come through.
I don’t think they’ll win this time though.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:57 pm

It’s a NO for me , hope they get to the final then get stuffed

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:22 pm

blue for you wrote:It’s a no from me. I hope england get stuffed. Some of the comments on social media since Wales got knocked out are vile.
Come on Germany!!!!

Am with you on this.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:22 pm

blue for you wrote:It’s a no from me. I hope england get stuffed. Some of the comments on social media since Wales got knocked out are vile.
Come on Germany!!!!

Am with you on this.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 pm

MACYDEE

Token jesture and they had bombed out thanks to iceland they had no choice in giving a bit in general most welsh people notice that its them them them end of

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:43 pm

powysblue wrote:

Spot On Annis, Welsh/British, Scots/British, N Irish/British, English/British that's what makes us unique and a Great British Nation. :occasion5: :clap:

Absolutely, I just hate anti Britishness .

Wales are of course are our first shout then other British sides .

How folk can cheer Germany and Argentina rather than Englamd is beyond my thought process ,think it makes us look weak and jealous of them .

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:01 pm

montyblue wrote:MACYDEE

Token jesture and they had bombed out thanks to iceland they had no choice in giving a bit in general most welsh people notice that its them them them end of

We have never given them the opportunity to support us.

Personally, I think much more than a token gesture. They were right behind us.