Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:I agree in some part as I am jealous of other clubs being able to drop a decent sum in order to get the players they want. (albeit a smaller amount due to current Covid issues)

Gone are the days where we will table £2-3mill bids - at least for a few seasons unless we get promoted.

However as said above, plenty of window left and tbh there are some decent free agents still out there so it's not game over just yet

We spent money in the last transfer window.

We also spent over 1.5 million last year on one player.

If the right players become available we will spend I am sure.

The same people on this board who give stick about lack of ambition in posts like this also give stick about the debt in other posts.

We actually spent way less than we received from sales of players last season .

Media Wales to keep Dalman happy also hiked up any prices we were paying .

Kieffer Moore find if the season was £1mill with add ons if we got promoted etc would of then cost us an extra £500,000.

We never paid a penny upfront for Harry Wilson as reported and paid £5,000 a week towards his wages .

Both good business .

The last 4 years we only ever here budget tightening , no money, will have to sell that honestly does not inspire fans.

We have had £36mill coming in time and time again from parachute payments .

Now we will have nothing coming in, I am honestly worried.

My View.

But don’t we sell players for a lot less than they are worth?

Glatzel Hmmm?

But yes many have been well under sold in my opinion.

What price would you have held out for for Glatzel? Taking into consideration the drop in finances all clubs are experiencing.
And if that price wasn't met, would you be happy keeping him on the books when he won't be playing a part next season?

I actually am not sure on the Glatzel situation as that’s why I put Hmmm?

Because his wages were so high we have saved a fortune on his wages thats why I have not really gone for the club on that sale as none of our managers have seen anything really in him.

Players like Callum Paterson in my opinion well under sold, just one of dozens over the years.

Not when he was earning 20k a week to sit on the bench.

Last player we Under sold was under Ridsdale and before that Sam.

What was it? 300k for Kavanagh? Ffs that was undersold.

think it was closer to 400k ...we were skint...
but yes massively under sold ... a year later a not skint prem lge side sold him for 500k with him having had a full season playing at that level behind him.... :?

Re: Summer thoughts down the City

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:27 pm

Being honest, I just can't wait to be back at games again. How we do is almost secondary to that!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:25 pm

Barclay1 wrote:As the OP, I struggle to remember when I have ever complained about the debt. If you can find it, I'll hold my hand up.

I have though often raised the issue of the boards ambition. I am far from an accountant, but we have had a lot of money over the years that other clubs haven't had. How come now we cant 'appear' to compete with clubs lower down the pyramid?

I'm also sensible enough to know you can't spend millions in the current climate, but DO believe in the mantra of 1. speculating to accumulate ( and that doesn't mean multi millions) and 2. Giving the supporters hope to cling to and something to cheer.

Let's hope the new guys provide that hope and cheer.

huge jump to think we can not compete with clubs further down the pyramid... who has anyone signed that we were remotely interested in ? its early days mate no one has done much business and the last time we signed a player prior to July was ALF in 2014...

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:54 am

The transfer window has barely been open and we havnt kicked a ball yet and people are bitching already :lol:

A lot of contracts ended yesterday so lots more good business to be done not involving a fee. The squad needs rebuilding and its unrealistic to do that by spending millions on every signing. Warnock barely spent the season we went up and teams like Derby and Wednesday spent a lot and look where they are now. Personally, I'm quite happy with the business we have done so far and good to see it being done early. Address the lack of creativity in the middle and a few prem loans and I think we would have done well.

Would love to know who all these smaller clubs are who are out competing us on players. Be interesting to see how many finish above us.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:35 am

Not bitching exactly, disappointed? Yes somewhat... pessimistic? Absolutely, but then you know me :lol:

I used to love the summer, and the winter transfer windows. Used to be exciting, and gave impetus to a campaign, and real hope to supporters. I really can't remember the last window that caught the imagination?

If we were to grade ourselves financially in terms of the rhetoric coming out of the club, any outsider would think there is not two brass farthing to rub together. Strange after two premier league stints. When Dalman comes out with doom and gloom, it rubs off on the fans and the club, and maybe the players.

You wouldn't believe I used to quite like Dalman as a chairman, but Now, I cannot think of anyone more negative, spinning questions and answers like a politician keeping the truth hidden away somewhere!

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:52 am

Barclay1 wrote:Not bitching exactly, disappointed? Yes somewhat... pessimistic? Absolutely, but then you know me :lol:

I used to love the summer, and the winter transfer windows. Used to be exciting, and gave impetus to a campaign, and real hope to supporters. I really can't remember the last window that caught the imagination?

If we were to grade ourselves financially in terms of the rhetoric coming out of the club, any outsider would think there is not two brass farthing to rub together. Strange after two premier league stints. When Dalman comes out with doom and gloom, it rubs off on the fans and the club, and maybe the players.

You wouldn't believe I used to quite like Dalman as a chairman, but Now, I cannot think of anyone more negative, spinning questions and answers like a politician keeping the truth hidden away somewhere!

last year we signed Wales striker ..Charltons player of the year ... 2 players with a lot of league experience on loan from Liverpool ..a young boy on loan from Arsenal and a 12 million pound player on loan from Leicester... and none of them in June ...
all things considered { covid } i thought as summer windows go that was decent ..i remember times when summer windows amounted to signing Charlie Oatway from Yeading as our marquee signing...

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:59 am

Omg! I do remember that era more than well...

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:10 pm

Ninian27 wrote:So far this pre-season reminds me of the bad old Clemo days, skint and other clubs rejects, i will though wait until August before final judgement :bluebird:

We haven't signed anyone who is an other club reject. Collins was offered a new contract by Luton but wanted to move on and serveral clubs including championship clubs would have taken him on. Wintle too was offered a new contract by Crewe who were desperate to keep their player of the season. You could I suppose describe McGuiness as a reject but a reject from an elite premier league club who may well turn out to be very good.

Happy with those signings and would rather them than paying big money for higher division failures like Cornelios Madine Glatzel Reid etc.

Don't think there will be the slightest chance of us being in trouble next season. Our chances of the top six will probably depend on getting another one or two players in Tomlin getting and staying fit and a coiled of the youngsters coming through.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm

Crayfish wrote:
Ninian27 wrote:So far this pre-season reminds me of the bad old Clemo days, skint and other clubs rejects, i will though wait until August before final judgement :bluebird:

We haven't signed anyone who is an other club reject. Collins was offered a new contract by Luton but wanted to move on and serveral clubs including championship clubs would have taken him on. Wintle too was offered a new contract by Crewe who were desperate to keep their player of the season. You could I suppose describe McGuiness as a reject but a reject from an elite premier league club who may well turn out to be very good.

Happy with those signings and would rather them than paying big money for higher division failures like Cornelios Madine Glatzel Reid etc.

Don't think there will be the slightest chance of us being in trouble next season. Our chances of the top six will probably depend on getting another one or two players in Tomlin getting and staying fit and a coiled of the youngsters coming through.

I have to put a fact in this, Collins was not offered a new contract by Luton, they in fact stated they wanted to bring in better, but they thanked him for his great service. They def offered him NO new contract.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

I have to put a fact in this, Collins was not offered a new contract by Luton, they in fact stated they wanted to bring in better, but they thanked him for his great service. They def offered him NO new contract.

Luton town’s website says different.

Thanks for the birthday message mate. Hope you are staying safe and you get a class summer with all your family together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:27 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

Thanks for the birthday message mate. Hope you are staying safe and you get a class summer with all your family together.

He’s been top scorer for Luton 3 seasons in a row too, would be very surprised if they didn’t offer him a new contract.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:32 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

He’s been top scorer for Luton 3 seasons in a row too, would be very surprised if they didn’t offer him a new contract.

They did. He came to Cardiff because we offered more money and have better prospects.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Omg! I do remember that era more than well...

me too.... and successfully convincing myself that these players were tough diamonds that would turn into world beaters....

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:54 pm

maccydee wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

They did. He came to Cardiff because we offered more money and have better prospects.

Sorry, my reply was meant for Annis. My bad :thumbright:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:12 pm

Just renewed my season tick, not feeling confident though, relegation battle ahead.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Not bitching exactly, disappointed? Yes somewhat... pessimistic? Absolutely, but then you know me :lol:

How many players and how much money do you think the club should have spent by now then?

The club have squandered a lot of money in recent years, ill agree with you on that. But we seem to be operating in a more sustainable way now, finally. I have no issue with the recent signings. Id rather sign rated players from lower leagues who have something to prove rather than journeymen who are just there to pickup a wage. The club are where they are, financially, so if you're expecting millions of pounds to be spent bringing in top end championship players or lower end prem players, then you're just setting yourself up for dissapointment. They come with big transfers and big wages.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:05 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Crayfish wrote:

Sorry, my reply was meant for Annis. My bad :thumbright:

Yeah saw that mate just backing you up.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Always City wrote:Just renewed my season tick, not feeling confident though, relegation battle ahead.

Want a bet on that? I’ll say top half.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:46 pm

maccydee wrote:
Always City wrote:Just renewed my season tick, not feeling confident though, relegation battle ahead.

Want a bet on that? I’ll say top half.

i think we need a bit more than we have at present but its early days....