Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Summer thoughts down the City

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:56 pm

Next season there is no doubt we will be a new, different Cardiff City than many of us have been used to. Whether this is a better different or a worse different, time will tell.

I cannot criticise the new signings having not given them a chance to play, but, although frees and loans play a major role at many clubs due to financial restrictions, I cannot help but be initially underwhelmed by the club's loud and clear message that 'this is all we can afford and go for' in terms of players. All this when the likes of Rotherham of league One are prepared to pay the nominal sum of £300,000 for a player in the next few days.

Rotherham, like the majority of clubs in and around us have not had the cash we have had over the past few years, and yet it is us who are acting as the hard up club.

I hope the new players are of good quality, gel quickly and provide us something to cheer. If they do, I will be a very happy supporter, but there is equally likely a chance that our former KFC worker and his new colleagues will struggle at a new higher level. Its a risk, and one I don't feel the club needs to take.

Luton have not signed world beaters but have got 3 Championship experienced grafters and have taken a risk on one striker. At the moment I'd rather be in their shoes. Jerome? Strongly linked with us, wanted to come, MM wanted him, and yet we lose out to Luton? IF there was such a strong desire from all parties, then to lose out to Luton shows how far we have dropped.

I see we play Newport County as our final home friendly? Poor for me. We should be looking at half decent opposition as a final prep. Hardly a good game, hardly a pull ( for any supporters allowed to attend). Are we saying we couldn't get any better?

The club have a lot to prove this year that we want to at least challenge the top 6. I Can't see any signs that we are bothering to do so as of yet but things may change between now and kick off time.

Finally, the Kieffer Moore situation. If the club were to accept £5M if offered, then a season of woe will already be written, overseen by a board with less desire, enthusiasm and ambition than we have had for many many years.

My own view and opinion, agree or disagree. I love my club, and we have no right to play at a higher level. But, given where we have been over the last 6 or 7 years, it hurts to see us left behind financially to smaller clubs and becoming league paupers.

Something has gone wrong, and the club is keeping its lifeblood, the fans, in the dark.

Re: Summer thoughts down the City

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:25 pm

A bit pessimistic I think considering the season doesn’t start for another 6 weeks and the transfer window is open for more than 2 months still. Making judgement on our transfers compared to other clubs when there’s 1000+ players on international duty in Europe and South America, plus many more who’s contracts expire next month who may or may not become free agents soon.

As for pre season, the year we got promoted we played Tavistock, Taffs Well, Bodmin and Livingston as 4 of the 6 games. Clearly it didn’t hinder us too much.

Let’s see how the summer pans out before the pitchforks get waved :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 pm

I would like to know is our leaderdripford going to allow us in to watch on mass even when the death rate has dropped to zero he seems to be the bringer of doom over wales every time i hear one of his briefing s i feel depressed no wonder the sucide rate is up with him in charge glad i don't live next door to him the over the fence conversations would drive you to drink but not in wales because he wants all pubs abolished. So can we use a season ticket if we renew

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:15 am

Pre season friendlies mean zilch
My real worry is the lack of creativity in midfield.Seams we have lost out on Mowatt because we are shopping in Poundland and the prospects for the coming season dont look good. Dire football accompanied by indifferent results seem likely.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:42 am

Early days yet 5 weeks to season start and two months before window closes, don't be so impatient :thumbup:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 am

I agree in some part as I am jealous of other clubs being able to drop a decent sum in order to get the players they want. (albeit a smaller amount due to current Covid issues)

Gone are the days where we will table £2-3mill bids - at least for a few seasons unless we get promoted.

However as said above, plenty of window left and tbh there are some decent free agents still out there so it's not game over just yet

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:01 am

Sadly, it seems some look for the negative first, last and foremost before a ball is even kicked...

Whilst I can aporeciate the OP is only trying to raise a debate, the timing does seem rather premature so early into the real transfer window (most finish end of June)

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:40 am

Sven wrote:Sadly, it seems some look for the negative first, last and foremost before a ball is even kicked...

Whilst I can aporeciate the OP is only trying to raise a debate, the timing does seem rather premature so early into the real transfer window (most finish end of June)

its mad.... its still June for god sake...

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:51 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:I agree in some part as I am jealous of other clubs being able to drop a decent sum in order to get the players they want. (albeit a smaller amount due to current Covid issues)

Gone are the days where we will table £2-3mill bids - at least for a few seasons unless we get promoted.

However as said above, plenty of window left and tbh there are some decent free agents still out there so it's not game over just yet

We spent money in the last transfer window.

We also spent over 1.5 million last year on one player.

If the right players become available we will spend I am sure.

The same people on this board who give stick about lack of ambition in posts like this also give stick about the debt in other posts.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:00 am

maccydee wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:I agree in some part as I am jealous of other clubs being able to drop a decent sum in order to get the players they want. (albeit a smaller amount due to current Covid issues)

The same people on this board who give stick about lack of ambition in posts like this also give stick about the debt in other posts.

strange that.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:42 am

maccydee wrote:

I say that I don't think we will spend 3mill on one player and that means I'm attacking the club over lack of ambition?

Thats my opinion, if I'm wrong then brilliant. It's just I can't see it happening this season

I've also never given stick over the debts either so not sure why you're getting so upset about my comment

Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:49 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

I say that I don't think we will spend 3mill on one player and that means I'm attacking the club over lack of ambition?

Thats my opinion, if I'm wrong then brilliant. It's just I can't see it happening this season

I've also never given stick over the debts either so not sure why you're getting so upset about my comment

Hmmm, did you just 'bite' prematurely?

I didn't read it as having a direct go at you; just that there are people who are (shall we politely say) consistent in their inconsistency...

Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:49 am

We been told we are getting rid of big earners and peoples contracts will be run down if there not sold before thats gone. Yet we got the delusional ones talking of bale who is reportedly on half a million a week but coming to cardiff :lol: , personally i think hes past it now and if he did come it wouldnt make sence at this cost talk we been told off from the club. I dont care for more debt owed to tan in the end if we spend more or big money players coming in or winning every week aslong as whoever is on the pitch runs through brick walls for us irrelevant if they come from crawley or chelsea :bluescarf:

Ambition means spending = Fans moan if we dont

Spending means debt = Fans moan about that.

The club can not win eitherway :lol:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:15 pm

The club need to maintain its championship status, filling the squad with all 3rd and 4th division signings will not do that.
A few Robby Brady’s will be fine.
A fine balancing act the club seems to be negotiating.
It needs to be the right balance as championship status can be quickly lost without the correct mix of experience and Youth.
We have been here before in the 80,s and it’s not a pleasant experience if they get it wrong!!!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:24 pm

As the OP, I struggle to remember when I have ever complained about the debt. If you can find it, I'll hold my hand up.

I have though often raised the issue of the boards ambition. I am far from an accountant, but we have had a lot of money over the years that other clubs haven't had. How come now we cant 'appear' to compete with clubs lower down the pyramid?

I'm also sensible enough to know you can't spend millions in the current climate, but DO believe in the mantra of 1. speculating to accumulate ( and that doesn't mean multi millions) and 2. Giving the supporters hope to cling to and something to cheer.

Let's hope the new guys provide that hope and cheer.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Its interesting for people to say we are "only looking at lower league signings." Down the years we have plucked a number of good players one of lower divisions, in fact we are better at that than spending decent sums of money on players. The Covid world in which we are now all swimming around in is dictating what a lot of clubs are having to deal with financially, ME, well i will be only too happy to watch a match with real players playing on real grass at a real stadium and having a real pint, not looking at my computer screen at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. BRING IT ON AND DO THE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: .

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I have though often raised the issue of the boards ambition. I am far from an accountant, but we have had a lot of money over the years that other clubs haven't had. How come now we cant 'appear' to compete with clubs lower down the pyramid?

How come you can’t wait for 2 months until the transfer window is closed before determining whether or not we ‘appear’ to be competing with the likes of Rotherham? As a counter point, we’ve signed 4 players this window whereas Man U have signed 0.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:05 pm

fred keenor wrote:The club need to maintain its championship status, filling the squad with all 3rd and 4th division signings will not do that.
A few Robby Brady’s will be fine.
A fine balancing act the club seems to be negotiating.
It needs to be the right balance as championship status can be quickly lost without the correct mix of experience and Youth.
We have been here before in the 80,s and it’s not a pleasant experience if they get it wrong!!!

Spot on thats my view with your post :thumbright:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:12 pm

maccydee wrote:

We actually spent way less than we received from sales of players last season .

Media Wales to keep Dalman happy also hiked up any prices we were paying .

Kieffer Moore find if the season was £1mill with add ons if we got promoted etc would of then cost us an extra £500,000.

We never paid a penny upfront for Harry Wilson as reported and paid £5,000 a week towards his wages .

Both good business .

The last 4 years we only ever here budget tightening , no money, will have to sell that honestly does not inspire fans.

We have had £36mill coming in time and time again from parachute payments .

Now we will have nothing coming in, I am honestly worried.

My View.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:

I was generalising. Sorry I should have replied as a new message rather than quote you directly.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:49 pm

So far this pre-season reminds me of the bad old Clemo days, skint and other clubs rejects, i will though wait until August before final judgement :bluebird:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Kieffer Moore find if the season was £1mill with add ons if we got promoted etc would of then cost us an extra £500,000.

We never paid a penny upfront for Harry Wilson as reported and paid £5,000 a week towards his wages .

Both good business .

The last 4 years we only ever here budget tightening , no money, will have to sell that honestly does not inspire fans.

My View.

But don’t we sell players for a lot less than they are worth?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:51 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Both good business .

My View.

Glatzel Hmmm?

But yes many have been well under sold in my opinion.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:52 pm

A top 6 challenge is good enough for me. Few freebies be nice as well,lol,lol. Will I go?? Pay as you go I guess!!!!!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Both good business .

My View.

Glatzel Hmmm?

What price would you have held out for for Glatzel? Taking into consideration the drop in finances all clubs are experiencing.
And if that price wasn't met, would you be happy keeping him on the books when he won't be playing a part next season?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:21 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I have though often raised the issue of the boards ambition. I am far from an accountant, but we have had a lot of money over the years that other clubs haven't had. How come now we cant 'appear' to compete with clubs lower down the pyramid?

How come you can’t wait for 2 months until the transfer window is closed before determining whether or not we ‘appear’ to be competing with the likes of Rotherham? As a counter point, we’ve signed 4 players this window whereas Man U have signed 0.

I am happy to wait those two months and truly hope I am proved wrong. The rhetoric coming out of the club of 'Free' 'Loans' 'we have no money' is not, in my opinion, likely to change.

Not being antagonistic, but genuinely interested in your opinion if we do fail to compete financially with lower league outfits.

If you want a positive note, we could hardly survive on our squad numbers last year. At least, at the.moment we have a little more strength in depth even if the quality is as of yet unproven.

Fingers crossed eh?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:41 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I am happy to wait those two months and truly hope I am proved wrong. The rhetoric coming out of the club of 'Free' 'Loans' 'we have no money' is not, in my opinion, likely to change.

Not being antagonistic, but genuinely interested in your opinion if we do fail to compete financially with lower league outfits.

If you want a positive note, we could hardly survive on our squad numbers last year. At least, at the.moment we have a little more strength in depth even if the quality is as of yet unproven.

Fingers crossed eh?

My opinion is that if come September 1st we've been outspent by clubs in League 1 and 2 and we've only signed teenagers and lower league players for free then I will be concerned. But complaining now seems pointless and needlessly bashing the club when quite clearly we've not finished with our business in the transfer window.

I'm also not too concerned if we don't pay a fee for any players but manage to get some decent loan signings. The Premier League is filled to the rafters with quality youngsters, if we could get someone of a similar quality to Harry Wilson or Tammy Abraham then I won't consider it a bad window just because we didn't pay for someone.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:50 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Both good business .

My View.

Glatzel Hmmm?

What price would you have held out for for Glatzel? Taking into consideration the drop in finances all clubs are experiencing.
And if that price wasn't met, would you be happy keeping him on the books when he won't be playing a part next season?

I actually am not sure on the Glatzel situation as that’s why I put Hmmm?

Because his wages were so high we have saved a fortune on his wages thats why I have not really gone for the club on that sale as none of our managers have seen anything really in him.

Players like Callum Paterson in my opinion well under sold, just one of dozens over the years.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Both good business .

My View.

Glatzel Hmmm?

Because his wages were so high we have saved a fortune on his wages thats why I have not really gone for the club on that sale as none of our managers have seen anything really in him.

Players like Callum Paterson in my opinion well under sold, just one of dozens over the years.

Yeah in hindsight Paterson was a loss for us last season and went too cheap. However for all the player's we've undersold we've got players like Zohore, Joe Mason, Mutch, Caulker, etc who we sold for more than they were arguably worth.

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Both good business .

My View.

Glatzel Hmmm?

Not when he was earning 20k a week to sit on the bench.

Last player we Under sold was under Ridsdale and before that Sam.

What was it? 300k for Kavanagh? Ffs that was undersold.