Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Max Watters to Peterborough '

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Max Watters wanted by Peterborough United

Football Insider

Wednesday 30th June 2021

Peterborough United have been linked plotting a shock permanent transfer for Cardiff City youngster Max Watters.

The forward burst on to the scene last year when he scored 16 goals in 19 games in all competitions for League Two outfit Crawley Town, drawing interest from many clubs in the EFL, but did not seem to be able told down a place in Cardiff City's team last season in the Championship.

The Bluebirds signed him in January for a fee which, if all criteria is met, could rise to as much as £1m. The actual fee paid is understood to be far less than that as low as £200,000.

Neil Harris was axed shortly after Watters' arrival and Mick McCarthy afforded him just two substitute appearances after he became manager.

Watters continued to score goals for the Bluebirds' under-23s, but was kept behind Mark Harris in the pecking order.

Now, though, the Peterborough Telegraph report that Posh, who have just earned promotion to the Championship, are considering signing the 22-year-old this summer.

They claim that Peterborough were interested in signing the player before he joined Cardiff back in January, but it is claimed that the Bluebirds are now considering "cutting their losses" and letting the player leave.

It was thought Watters would potentially leave on loan to get some first-team football under his belt, but this reports claim a permanent switch is being eyed.

Kieffer Moore is the undoubted first-choice striker at Cardiff right now, while Republic of Ireland forward James Collins has come in to bolster the striker stable.

With youngsters Mark Harris and Isaak Davies in situ, and Isaac Vassell having been involved in pre-season training this week, the striker stable looks a little too well stocked as things stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Max Watters to Peterborough '

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:06 am

wez1927 wrote:Max Watters wanted by Peterborough United

Football Insider

Wednesday 30th June 2021

Peterborough United have been linked plotting a shock permanent transfer for Cardiff City youngster Max Watters.

The forward burst on to the scene last year when he scored 16 goals in 19 games in all competitions for League Two outfit Crawley Town, drawing interest from many clubs in the EFL, but did not seem to be able told down a place in Cardiff City's team last season in the Championship.

The Bluebirds signed him in January for a fee which, if all criteria is met, could rise to as much as £1m. The actual fee paid is understood to be far less than that as low as £200,000.

Neil Harris was axed shortly after Watters' arrival and Mick McCarthy afforded him just two substitute appearances after he became manager.

Watters continued to score goals for the Bluebirds' under-23s, but was kept behind Mark Harris in the pecking order.

Now, though, the Peterborough Telegraph report that Posh, who have just earned promotion to the Championship, are considering signing the 22-year-old this summer.

They claim that Peterborough were interested in signing the player before he joined Cardiff back in January, but it is claimed that the Bluebirds are now considering "cutting their losses" and letting the player leave.

It was thought Watters would potentially leave on loan to get some first-team football under his belt, but this reports claim a permanent switch is being eyed.

Kieffer Moore is the undoubted first-choice striker at Cardiff right now, while Republic of Ireland forward James Collins has come in to bolster the striker stable.

With youngsters Mark Harris and Isaak Davies in situ, and Isaac Vassell having been involved in pre-season training this week, the striker stable looks a little too well stocked as things stand.

Tbf, like glatzel before him, I just don't think they are MMM types of player, and he made a decision early on both.
If we get a fee around half of what we paid, it's not too shabby, as I would imagine any add ons would be related to appearances etc for us. :old: :bluebird:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:56 am

Never given a chance. He will probably end up scoring against us and be their top scorer.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:52 am

Blueberry Jam wrote:Never given a chance. He will probably end up scoring against us and be their top scorer.

i hope he doesnt bite us on the behind but you cant just be giving chances to people you do not rate as good enough in training....or elevate them and give them chances above our own academy players who you actually rate higher which MM clearly done so far....

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:28 am

I have always had the feeling Watters could have turned out to be a fantastic impact sub.

We will probably never find out now but the guy obviously knows where the net is and I assume from his scoring record he is a natural finisher when given the chance.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have always had the feeling Watters could have turned out to be a fantastic impact sub.

We will probably never find out now but the guy obviously knows where the net is and I assume from his scoring record he is a natural finisher when given the chance.

dont know.. apart from that 15 game purple patch for Crawley he had done very little... and since being here he knocked a few in for the under 23s but is 22 himself often playing against 18 year olds.... i trust Mick on this...

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:50 am

skidemin wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have always had the feeling Watters could have turned out to be a fantastic impact sub.

dont know.. apart from that 15 game purple patch for Crawley he had done very little... and since being here he knocked a few in for the under 23s but is 22 himself often playing against 18 year olds.... i trust Mick on this...

As I said it was just a feeling. If he goes to Peterborough and plays regularly then we should find out one way or another.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:02 am

Surely a loan would make more sense at this stage, especially to a championship side, to see how well he does?

It maybe that he can't recreate his goal scoring form showed at Crawley but if he does he would be worth keeping old of, he certainly knows where the net is!

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:02 am

Would like to see him loaned out before moving on. Even if its just until January.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:53 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:Surely a loan would make more sense at this stage, especially to a championship side, to see how well he does?

It maybe that he can't recreate his goal scoring form showed at Crawley but if he does he would be worth keeping old of, he certainly knows where the net is!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 am

Escott1927 wrote:Would like to see him loaned out before moving on. Even if its just until January.

:thumbright: :thumbright:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 pm

It looks like Mick is all in on 343 which with the right personnel is attacking.

3 centre halfs
2 wingbacks
2 sitters
2 inside forwards and a physical presence up top.

not sure Watters fits into that group.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:24 pm

llan bluebird wrote:It looks like Mick is all in on 343 which with the right personnel is attacking.

3 centre halfs
2 wingbacks
2 sitters
2 inside forwards and a physical presence up top.

not sure Watters fits into that group.

Particularly as we already have Harris who doesn't really fit into that as well. Personally, I think its a little early to get rid of him. Would like to see how he does in league 1.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:34 pm

I will say this.

If we keep him we lack ambition thinking he’s an option for us.

If we sell him we lack ambition for selling him.

Covered all bases.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:48 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Would like to see him loaned out before moving on. Even if its just until January.

ideal world yes, sort of depends how far down the list he is in Micks mind....
will add ATM the opinions of clubs who were looking at taking a punt on him in Jan havent changed too much .. a loan deal where he flops would probably change that and leave us picking up his wage for another 3 years ?

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:03 pm

skidemin wrote:

ideal world yes, sort of depends how far down the list he is in Micks mind....
will add ATM the opinions of clubs who were looking at taking a punt on him in Jan havent changed too much .. a loan deal where he flops would probably change that and leave us picking up his wage for another 3 years ?

4th choice by the looks of it. The money we'd get for him probably isn't much and hes probably on a relatively low wage. Hardly a massive gamble. A decent season in league 1 could add a lot of value.