Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sam Hamamm legend

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:14 pm

I know people have polarising views on Sam so the title might cause some against, but it’s my birthday today and Annis messaged him asking him to drop me a message.

He did better than that and called me from Lebanon. It’s his wife’s birthday as well. Nothing to gain apart from doing a nice thing.

Can’t say he didn’t put his heart and soul into our club and was carried away by the passion he felt from us.

I maintain that had he got us to the premier league things would have been very different.

Aside from the football side (which I think he deserves a lot of credit for), for taking the time to call on my birthday I say

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

Re: Sam Hamamm legend

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:24 pm

maccydee wrote:I know people have polarising views on Sam so the title might cause some Against but it’s my birthday today and Annis messaged him asking him to drop me a message.

He did better than that and called me from Lebanon. It’s his wife’s birthday as well. Nothing to gain apart from doing a nice thing.

Can’t say he didn’t put his heart and soul into our club and was carried away by the passion he felt from us.

I maintain that had he got us to the premier league things would have been very different.

Aside from the football side (which I think he deserves a lot of credit for), for taking the time to call on my birthday I say

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

Good on him for doing that mate. Fair play

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:28 pm

Your very Welcome Neil, Happy Birthday :bluebird: :bluebird:

Your always out spoken straight to the point, we don’t always agree, but I respect your views.

I’ve always said Sam is a man of the people and will respect everyone :bluebird:

Sam has nothing but passion and love for football beyond.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:39 pm

maccydee wrote:I know people have polarising views on Sam so the title might cause some against, but it’s my birthday today and Annis messaged him asking him to drop me a message.

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

Neil,

Sam just sent me this message , this for me was probably Sam’s down fall , to much passion for our club and sadly the money ran out.

Sam just what’s app me this

Spoke to Neil for over 10 minutes. You know Annis what makes football so special it is the interaction between people who don’t know each other very well but who have something in common that they both care about and which together they can share their views and experiences.

Cardiff fc is not really just a club per se - it is something that is alive and has a spirit and a soul . Almost everyone says ….. oh football is a business …… never and forever is it a business …… it is a passion and a commitment. Like your family and children ….. of course you do business decisions every day for your family ….. what house you can afford , what school , what car , what holiday etc….. but your family and kids are not a business.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:55 pm

I've met Sam on a few occasions and I have nothing but respect for him :thumbright:

A very nice touch from him in calling you. :bluebird:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:00 pm

Possibly the greatest off-pitch event for me at Cardiff City was that evening when Sam turned up at the hotel at Coryton roundabout to meet the fans and talk about taking over the club.

The buzz on the messageboards was phenominal and before you knew it, it was the early hours of the morning.

For me, more exciting than the stadium build, the signing of Fowler, Hasselbaink, Sinclair or Bellamy.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:06 pm

People slag off Sam saying he was a crook etc.

However, I bet those same people would have acted exactly the same if their money was at risk.

I have always believed the real bad guys were PMG & the Riddler who backstabbed Sam and tried to swindle him.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:People slag off Sam saying he was a crook etc.

However, I bet those same people would have acted exactly the same if their money was at risk.

I have always believed the real bad guys were PMG & the Riddler who backstabbed Sam and tried to swindle him.

Agree 100%

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Everyone seems to conveniently forget that he nearly buried us

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Years ago at Stockport we were in Hospitality which was excellent and Sam sat at our table. Stockport had Chinese visitors in the room and their steward asked if Sam would say a few words. Sam ad-libbed for about 45 minutes and the whole room were captivated and hanging on every word. Happy to have photos and talk to everybody.
Top man.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:18 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:Everyone seems to conveniently forget that he nearly buried us

So in your words how did he 'try to bury us?'

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:28 pm

The infamous firesale.And as rumour has it, Langstone

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:48 pm

I have Huge respect for Sam and what he brought to our club and fans - it is as per reply to annis's whatapp.

Although a business it is about a lot, lot more for us fans and especially our great fans "down the City" over many years.

Always remember an away trip to Chesterfield with my young "Bluebird" son, No ticket but managed to get in somehow thanks to a lovely lady in the Chesterfield Ticket office.

After the Game Sam parading around the pitch with arms raised, dancing with all us Bluebirds.

Never actually met Sam but seems like a top Fella who DOES understand our passion, Pride and Love of CCFC.

:notworthy: :bluescarf:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:10 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I've met Sam on a few occasions and I have nothing but respect for him :thumbright:

A very nice touch from him in calling you. :bluebird:

Same here, Ned. Sadly, his is passion on and off field will never be repeated

Being mortal, he made mistakes (unlike the rest of us perfectos :laughing6: ) but that should never detract from Sam's positive impact on this club and/or what he achieved in 95% of his tenure

A polite, affable man; he knows what itvtakes to make people feel incuded and we certainly rode the crest of a very big wave before the (usual) ingratitude set in...

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:The infamous firesale.And as rumour has it, Langstone

the infamous fire sale was selling 4 players and then finishing higher in the league the very next season... was selling caulker campbell, mutch and medel also a fire sale or is it only infamous if its Sam ?

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:07 pm

The fire sale I am referring to involved none of the players mentioned. I was thinking of Gabbidon, Collins and Kavanagh

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:The fire sale I am referring to involved none of the players mentioned. I was thinking of Gabbidon, Collins and Kavanagh

yes i know what you were referring to which was why i pointed out that its not the only time we have sold players .

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:09 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:The fire sale I am referring to involved none of the players mentioned. I was thinking of Gabbidon, Collins and Kavanagh

Funny though before Sam came we could only dream about those type of players and a great Accademy as sadly we never had anything, a true fact.
Spent 9 yrs in League 4.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:12 pm

maccydee wrote:I know people have polarising views on Sam so the title might cause some against, but it’s my birthday today and Annis messaged him asking him to drop me a message.

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

Don't always see eye to eye, but we're both City and bleed blue.

Happy birthday fella, glad that you got a brilliant surprise

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:59 pm

Players about three times better than any player at the City for 20 years before they were signed by Sam.

It was shit to lose them, especially Kavanagh. But that’s football sometimes. I would be inclined to pass some of the blame on those that blocked the stadium process ergo preventing funds being released which would have meant Kav wouldn’t have to be sold.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:01 pm

Barclay1 wrote:

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

Don't always see eye to eye, but we're both City and bleed blue.

Happy birthday fella, glad that you got a brilliant surprise

Thanks mate its nice we can have respectful repartee without it getting silly.

It was a magnificent surprise.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:10 pm

For the past few years people have talked about how much VT is worth and rumour has it he is down to his last £600m

So my two questions are:

1) How much is Sam now worth? and
2) Is it possible Sam could be worth more than VT?

In order to answer these questions I have limited facts:

1) At the time of buying the club in 2000 SH was reported to be worth £40m in the Times Rich List
2) In 2010 CCFC reportedly paid £24m to SH
3) His family run Hedgefunds in NYC - and most decent Hedgefunds bring interest of 10% per year

So 40m with Compound interest (at 10%) for 10 years (2000-2010) would be worth £103.7m in 2010
Add the £24m then becomes £127.7m (in 2010)

So £127.7m with compound interest (at 10%) for 11 years (2010-2021) would be worth £362.3m now

Thats £362.3m assuming he just invested his money in hedgefunds. But knowing Sam I am sure he has many other forms of income and I do genuinely wonder whether he is in fact richer than VT these days?

Disclaimer
=========
My calculations maybe wide of the mark - but they do provoke thought and I could understand why a succesful SH would upset VT

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:19 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:For the past few years people have talked about how much VT is worth and rumour has it he is down to his last £600m

So my two questions are:

1) At the time of buying the club in 2000 SH was reported to be worth £40m in the Times Rich List
3) His family run Hedgefunds in NYC - and most decent Hedgefunds bring interest of 10% per year

So 40m with Compound interest (at 10%) for 10 years (2000-2010) would be worth £103.7m in 2010

So £127.7m with compound interest (at 10%) for 11 years (2010-2021) would be worth £362.3m now

Thats £362.3m assuming he just invested his money in hedgefunds. But knowing Sam I am sure he has many other forms of income and I do genuinely wonder whether he is in fact richer than VT these days?

Disclaimer
=========
My calculations maybe wide of the mark - but they do provoke thought and I could understand why a succesful SH would upset VT

I dare say it cost quite a bit to call from Lebanon and he never once mentioned the cost so yeah I think he’s doing alright.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:02 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Funny though before Sam came we could only dream about those type of players and a great Accademy as sadly we never had anything, a true fact.
Spent 9 yrs in League 4.

i really do not get the anti Sam stuff , especially when the person being anti is clearly making it up as they go....
the fire sale ? makes it sound as if we were giving players away who went on to be of huge value...
the reality doesnt back that up and neither do results , the season immediately after selling those 3 we finished 11th in the championship which was the highest we had finished since 1979....{27 years }

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:29 am

Paul Keevil wrote:For the past few years people have talked about how much VT is worth and rumour has it he is down to his last £600m

So my two questions are:

Disclaimer
=========

Dunno how it would’ve affected SH, but you’ve skipped over the 2008 crash. Would be hard to make estimates if going of numbers pre 2008.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:39 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:

So my two questions are:

Disclaimer
=========

Dunno how it would’ve affected SH, but you’ve skipped over the 2008 crash. Would be hard to make estimates if going of numbers pre 2008.

far too many guesses in there tbh....

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:08 am

skidemin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spent 9 yrs in League 4.

i really do not get the anti Sam stuff , especially when the person being anti is clearly making it up as they go....
the fire sale ? makes it sound as if we were giving players away who went on to be of huge value...
the reality doesnt back that up and neither do results , the season immediately after selling those 3 we finished 11th in the championship which was the highest we had finished since 1979....{27 years }

Exactly and Spot :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

90% were not even watching Cardiff before Sam game and the facts are there by the crowds.

Many have short memories as we had a run down league 4 club going NO where and in debt, NO value and NO one wanted us.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:13 pm

Without Sam, we were heading to the non league, no if no buts.
Sam had a few faults, but what he did for our club outweighs anything i have ever seen happen during 70's,80's & 90's by any previous owners and the atmosphere was electric under Sam :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Ninian27 wrote:Without Sam, we were heading to the non league, no if no buts.
Sam had a few faults, but what he did for our club outweighs anything i have ever seen happen during 70's,80's & 90's by any previous owners and the atmosphere was electric under Sam :bluebird: :bluebird:

The atmosphere and passion was like a drug. Got so many massively into the city.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:56 pm

I fully accept that Sam revitalised us when he took us over and that we were really in the doldrums at that time and going nowhere.But I am surprised that there I'd no hint of any criticism and not just for the sake of it