Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Sam Hamamm legend

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:14 pm

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:I fully accept that Sam revitalised us when he took us over and that we were really in the doldrums at that time and going nowhere.But I am surprised that there I'd no hint of any criticism and not just for the sake of it

I think people can rightly be critical of the sale of Kavanagh in the circumstances but it wasn’t an act of sabotage it was more negligence. Sam had a plan and it didn’t occur. A lot of that was because of political games by the people who had vested interest.

Other players were sold quite cheap vs their value. But we told Sam over and over we would sell out with a sniff of success and we rarely did.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:52 pm

maccydee wrote:
Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:I fully accept that Sam revitalised us when he took us over and that we were really in the doldrums at that time and going nowhere.But I am surprised that there I'd no hint of any criticism and not just for the sake of it

I think people can rightly be critical of the sale of Kavanagh in the circumstances but it wasn’t an act of sabotage it was more negligence. Sam had a plan and it didn’t occur. A lot of that was because of political games by the people who had vested interest.

Other players were sold quite cheap vs their value. But we told Sam over and over we would sell out with a sniff of success and we rarely did.

who was sold cheap ... we ended up having 3.5 mill for gabs and ginger... not bad for 2 young CBs from the bottom half of the championship ...and Kavs value had soared by all of 100k by the time Wigan sold him a year later.... its the same now mate you only have to read the glatzel thread to realise this... we buy players who we apparently pay far to much for because they are crap but when selling them they become superstars worth far more than we are getting.....
as a side not the season immediately after these sales we finished in the top half of the championship for the first time in 27 seasons.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:59 pm

You could easily make a critical argument against Sam, but was he treated fairly?

PMG/The Riddler stabbed him in the back, stole his stadium dream and initially had no intention of paying him the £24m he was owed.

I defy anyone who calls Sam a 'crook' to state that they wouldn't have taken the club to court if it was their money at risk.

I remember the outcry when Riddler misused our season ticket money a decade ago. Most fans would have lost an average of about £300 and there were protests outside the stadium/marches etc. Compare that with losing £24m?

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

You could easily make a critical argument against Sam, but was he treated fairly?

PMG/The Riddler stabbed him in the back, stole his stadium dream and initially had no intention of paying him the £24m he was owed.

I defy anyone who calls Sam a 'crook' to state that they wouldn't have taken the club to court if it was their money at risk.

I remember the outcry when Riddler misused our season ticket money a decade ago. Most fans would have lost an average of about £300 and there were protests outside the stadium/marches etc. Compare that with losing £24m?

You are spot on again, Tony; and yet another well worded post... :clap:

The monies 'owed' to Sam (or their format) went a lot deeper than people think and he couldn't/shouldn't have been denied it

For me, the profiteering PMG were worse than The Riddler and they took full advantage of a situation

I don't blame them. It could have been others; but I will never respect any of those involved :evil:

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:14 pm

Interestingly, this website generally favours Sam Hammam whilst the other website tends to favour Mr. Tan.
A serious question; why is this?

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:30 pm

He called me once whilst he was at the helm.
I think I'd missed out on tickets for the Stoke play off game so wrote him a letter. I got a ticket eventually but he called me afew weeks later to check if I was ok. I wasnt expecting a response at all. Had a decent chat with him tbf.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:44 pm

If our club was worth minus zero and had virtually any fans before Sam came, how can new fans moan?

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:37 am

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:Interestingly, this website generally favours Sam Hammam whilst the other website tends to favour Mr. Tan.

No idea why there is a difference of opinion between this board and the other one but I do believe I am in a very small group of fans who favours both Sam & Mr. Tan.

It is true both have made monumental mistakes but I believe the good they brought to this club is far more important.

What gets overlooked time and again is the period of PMG & The Riddler which sandwiched the Sam & Tan eras. If you want villains then look no further than those pair.

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:45 am

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:Interestingly, this website generally favours Sam Hammam whilst the other website tends to favour Mr. Tan.

No idea why there is a difference of opinion between this board and the other one but I do believe I am in a very small group of fans who favours both Sam & Mr. Tan.

It is true both have made monumental mistakes but I believe the good they brought to this club is far more important.

What gets overlooked time and again is the period of PMG & The Riddler which sandwiched the Sam & Tan eras. If you want villains then look no further than those pair.

i dont think your in as small a group as you think..... having read the question i had a quick look through this thread....the majority of those who have posted have previously been equally defensive about what they considered unfair criticism of VT ... i believe your average fan { especially those around when Sam arrived , which is a small group } appreciates both ....
ive seen threads elsewhere though that were basically a knock Sam fest with very little substance or thought.... so maybe he means fair not favour....

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:10 am

Your so spot on Tony and honest with it :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:12 am

skidemin wrote:

i dont think your in as small a group as you think..... having read the question i had a quick look through this thread....the majority of those who have posted have previously been equally defensive about what they considered unfair criticism of VT ... i believe your average fan { especially those around when Sam arrived , which is a small group } appreciates both ....
ive seen threads elsewhere though that were basically a knock Sam fest with very little substance or thought.... so maybe he means fair not favour....

Correct those that knock Sam and are critical don’t back it up with facts, just pathetic media Wales crap.

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:13 am

Floppsy wrote:He called me once whilst he was at the helm.
I think I'd missed out on tickets for the Stoke play off game so wrote him a letter. I got a ticket eventually but he called me afew weeks later to check if I was ok. I wasnt expecting a response at all. Had a decent chat with him tbf.

That was and is still Sam all over, those that get to know him realised how caring he was and still is :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:21 am

SH took us forward just like VT did, both have made mistakes as well. I like where we are at now vs playing Barnet/Yeovil etc

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:21 am

I have seen another group called Sam, Tan and The Riddler. I've not come across a PMG group except when the Supports group wanted PMG to dip into their pockets to stay off a tax bill. Then everyone turned against the supporters group including one of their members TLG. It was not long before the PMG group died and everyone had egg on their face for attacking TLG.

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:33 pm

skidemin wrote:

I am glad to hear the findings of your research :thumbup:

There have been awful owners in the past and some have screwed clubs over (PMG springs to mind) but what is never appreciated is the amount of money people like Sam and Tan have risked (and lost) to keep our club going. They have received very little in return apart from untrue stories claiming they had taken millions out of our club.

We owe both owners a debt of gratitude and I'm glad to hear more supporters are beginning to realise that :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

I have seen another group called Sam, Tan and The Riddler. I've not come across a PMG group except when the Supports group wanted PMG to dip into their pockets to stay off a tax bill. Then everyone turned against the supporters group including one of their members TLG. It was not long before the PMG group died and everyone had egg on their face for attacking TLG.

It is hard to imagine anyone would hold PMG in esteem. Fair play to TLG in trying to get money out of PMG to pay a tax bill although I would think that was mission impossible.

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Pmg and the council were in cahoots and did him over like a kipper, he wasn’t going to get permission for the ground and the retail park unless he sold it on….I wonder who desperately wanted to get their hands on that cash cow, the retail park?

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:21 pm

skidemin wrote:

I am glad to hear the findings of your research :thumbup:

There have been awful owners in the past and some have screwed clubs over (PMG springs to mind) but what is never appreciated is the amount of money people like Sam and Tan have risked (and lost) to keep our club going. They have received very little in return apart from untrue stories claiming they had taken millions out of our club.

We owe both owners a debt of gratitude and I'm glad to hear more supporters are beginning to realise that :thumbup: :thumbup:

hardly research.... just truth..
and yes i agree we owe a lot to both... i dont quite get the either or thing with some you can be appreciative of both

Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:22 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

It is hard to imagine anyone would hold PMG in esteem. Fair play to TLG in trying to get money out of PMG to pay a tax bill although I would think that was mission impossible.

Is that The Lone Gunman?

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:34 am

maccydee wrote:
Is that The Lone Gunman?

Yes I pretty sure it is.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:11 am

maccydee wrote:I know people have polarising views on Sam so the title might cause some against, but it’s my birthday today and Annis messaged him asking him to drop me a message.

He did better than that and called me from Lebanon. It’s his wife’s birthday as well. Nothing to gain apart from doing a nice thing.

Can’t say he didn’t put his heart and soul into our club and was carried away by the passion he felt from us.

I maintain that had he got us to the premier league things would have been very different.

Aside from the football side (which I think he deserves a lot of credit for), for taking the time to call on my birthday I say

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

Well done Sam, you are a legend :thumbup: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:33 am

goats wrote:Pmg and the council were in cahoots and did him over like a kipper, he wasn’t going to get permission for the ground and the retail park unless he sold it on….I wonder who desperately wanted to get their hands on that cash cow, the retail park?

That is 100% the truth , Sam was totally stabbed in the back.

Yet NO one says a work about Paul Guy, Mike Hall , PMG made £millions upon £millions out of our club then were gone.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:34 am

maccydee wrote:
Is that The Lone Gunman?

Yes I pretty sure it is.

Yes :thumbright:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Is that The Lone Gunman?

Yes I pretty sure it is.

What did he do?

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:26 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Is that The Lone Gunman?

Yes I pretty sure it is.

What did he do?

According to BakedAlaska above he was part of a supporters group (I would imagine that was the supporters trust) who asked PMG to pay a CCFC tax bill out of their own pockets.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:55 pm

I miss my chats with Sam - I still haven`t been able to make contact with him since my contact details changed but will try again next week when I get chance.

The first topic was always him asking about my family as he and I share a great love of them , especially grandchildren.

When we came on to football we would agree about a number of things (CCFC and football in general) but would also often disagree. What was really refreshing is that Sam and myself would never take offence at having different views but could agree to differ very amicably. Always a gentleman when we spoke on the phone or met up for a coffee.

My personal view is that the way he was treated by Peter Ridsdale and PMG was disgusting and totally unnecessary.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Ninian1962 wrote:I miss my chats with Sam - I still haven`t been able to make contact with him since my contact details changed but will try again next week when I get chance.

The first topic was always him asking about my family as he and I share a great love of them , especially grandchildren.

When we came on to football we would agree about a number of things (CCFC and football in general) but would also often disagree. What was really refreshing is that Sam and myself would never take offence at having different views but could agree to differ very amicably. Always a gentleman when we spoke on the phone or met up for a coffee.

My personal view is that the way he was treated by Peter Ridsdale and PMG was disgusting and totally unnecessary.

Keith,

You’ve summoned up Sam well, always caring about other people and their families :thumbright: and once again PMG & The Riddler they are the ones certain fans and the media should of gone for not Sam :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:34 am

maccydee wrote:I know people have polarising views on Sam so the title might cause some against, but it’s my birthday today and Annis messaged him asking him to drop me a message.

He did better than that and called me from Lebanon. It’s his wife’s birthday as well. Nothing to gain apart from doing a nice thing.

Can’t say he didn’t put his heart and soul into our club and was carried away by the passion he felt from us.

I maintain that had he got us to the premier league things would have been very different.

Aside from the football side (which I think he deserves a lot of credit for), for taking the time to call on my birthday I say

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

WHOPPIE DOOO - LETS DISCUSS THURSDAY -WILL YOU SHOW UP BIRTHDAY BOY?

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:50 am

Daya wrote:

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

I can’t return your private message as you have disabled replies.

What are you actually offering?!

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:00 pm

maccydee wrote:
Daya wrote:

Sam, you are a legend.

Salam alaykum

I can’t return your private message as you have disabled replies.

What are you actually offering?!

Fame ?