Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Latest on Joe Bennett “

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Joe Bennett is starting already to look really fit.

Trains 7 days a week at the Vale.

Last 2 days Bennett has trained right next to our first team, but sadly on his own.

I Really would like City to sort a contract out with him :bluebird:

Bennett for me is still a top Championship player :bluebird:

It’s taken 2 mths for Joe to get fit :bluebird: :bluebird: and Lee Tomlin nearly 18mths :lol: :lol:

Re: “ Latest on Joe Bennett “

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:58 pm

Me too Annis :thumbup:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Perhaps a 12 month contract is still on the table.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:47 am

Ian Gibson fanclub wrote:Perhaps a 12 month contract is still on the table.

Personally I think he'd be worth anot her year, but it HAS to fit in with the new wage limits in place, a year with an option for another years extension. :old: :bluebird:

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:12 am

bluesince62 wrote:

Personally I think he'd be worth anot her year, but it HAS to fit in with the new wage limits in place, a year with an option for another years extension. :old: :bluebird:

I agree 62er.
Unfortunately first and foremost atm is the wage.
It is sad as he seems an excellent pro. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:44 am

Surely the cost of a replacement needs to figured in, as we have not brought anybody in yet.
Hopefully his experience will be retained, if not he will be a good aquisition for another club
Sometimes wage structures need to be broken for the right player.
Look how hard he has worked to recover from this injury, we can all name other players who have just milked the system.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:16 am

Equally, JB needs to be realistic of his worth. No doubt we have offered him a lesser deal than he was on. But there hardly seems to be other clubs sniffing around him as he would be off already.

Probably a stand off between him and our club. Hopefully we'll get at least another year out of him on a fair wage.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:34 am

We are still looking to bring in a left back!

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:10 am

Finally the club are learning. Looks like we've told Bennett that if he wants a new contract prove your fitness.

Although it might seem harsh football is a ruthless game why offer him a new deal when he suffered a major injury so he can get paid for recovering.

Fair play to Bennett though following him on Instagram he hasn't moaned at all and has worked hard to get back to fitness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered a new deal in the next few weeks and I'm happy with that and I have to give praise to City for how the handled this for once.

Mr Tomlin take note, if you had half the work ethic of Bennett maybe fans would get off your back. So frustrating when players have a natural talent and can't be arsed.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:47 am

He's probably looking for a last big payday.Signing on fee and a wage we don't want to pay.
Time to move on with younger players.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:16 am

stickywicket wrote:He's probably looking for a last big payday.Signing on fee and a wage we don't want to pay.
Time to move on with younger players.

You are spot on in my opinion. In order to keep JB we would have to break our wage structure and put all our eggs in one basket.

That would be a very silly thing to do. I am sure we have offered him a contract based on what we can afford. If he can find better terms elsewhere then good luck to him.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:26 pm

Why oh why is this still being talked about?

He’s training to get fit, he wants to much money
and his family have moved back.

If he was that interested and faithful he’d drop his demands drastically and sign! He hasn’t I wonder why.

To keep dredging over the obvious bewilders me.

He’s gone give it a rest and I won’t say he’s a money grabbing git either. Obviously he doesn’t live in our world.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:50 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Why oh why is this still being talked about?

If he was that interested and faithful he’d drop his demands drastically and sign! He hasn’t I wonder why.

He’s gone give it a rest and I won’t say he’s a money grabbing git either. Obviously he doesn’t live in our world.

You are absolutely right what is going on with JB is perfectly obvious. At 31 this is his last good pay day so he will jump at the best offer when it comes in.

He will probably retire in 4 to 5 years time so it is perfectly understandable he needs to maximise his earnings now. In 4 to 5 years he will probably retire and his earnings from football will plummet drastically at that point.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:Why oh why is this still being talked about?

You are absolutely right what is going on with JB is perfectly obvious. At 31 this is his last good pay day so he will jump at the best offer when it comes in.

He will probably retire in 4 to 5 years time so it is perfectly understandable he needs to maximise his earnings now. In 4 to 5 years he will probably retire and his earnings from football will plummet drastically at that point.

It’s nothing personal from me it’s common sense.

He’s not going to get anywhere near what he wants now, clubs just won’t pay it.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:16 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

Agree .

Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:08 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Agree .

One of the problems was a one year contract offered but like Whitts - RIP - before him wanted a two year.
Players generally hate one year contracts.