Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Gavin Whyte ‘

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:25 am

The big question mark hanging over Cardiff City ace and why Hull City would 'love' to sign him

The Northern Ireland international spent last season on loan at Hull City and helped to earn the club promotion to the Championship, but whether he fits into Mick McCarthy's plans remains to be seen

By Glen Williams

Sunday 4th July 2021

Gavin Whyte is one player who polarises Cardiff City fans. Now that Robert Glatzel has left, he is probably the player who elicits the most differing opinions among the Bluebirds fanbase.

The Northern Ireland international is often praised for his diligence, work ethic and defensive contribution, however his detractors argue that, given he operates in an offensive position, his output in the top third of the pitch is not at the level required for a Premier League-promotion-chasing side.

There is clearly talent there; he has become a very important player for his country in recent years, but at Championship level, he was largely found wanting while donning the blue of Cardiff City.

Despite being a regular under Neil Warnock, Neil Harris soon jettisoned him out of the side. Whyte was tasked with increasing his contributions at the top end of the pitch, but was scarcely afforded the chances at the beginning of last season.

It was decided in January that it was best for all parties if he sought a loan move away. He needed regular football and to find his attacking mojo again.

He dropped down to League One with Hull City and helped to earn promotion to the Championship, contributing four goals in his 20 league appearances for the Tigers.

The 25-year-old clearly played a key role, but has he improved enough in the areas that matter? And how does his future with the Bluebirds look now? Can he translate that League One form into the second tier?

They are all big questions and ones which need resolving in the coming weeks.

Back in April, Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy did not rule out the possibility of Whyte leaving in the summer window.

MICK McCARTHY:

"We've had feedback and reports," McCarthy said back in April. "We've had people watching Gavin Whyte and he seems to be coming on as a sub just recently.

"We've got people monitoring it. We'll see what happens with them.

"Gavin, I've not seen much of him so we'll have to see what they want to do in terms The big question mark hanging over Cardiff City ace and why Hull City would 'love' to sign him

The Northern Ireland international spent last season on loan at Hull City and helped to earn the club promotion to the Championship, but whether he fits into Mick McCarthy's plans remains to be seen

McCarthy has already made three signings already in the form of striker James Collins, centre back Mark McGuinness and defensive midfielder Ryan Wintle, but the wide areas look particularly understocked.

Following the departures of Sheyi Ojo, Harry Wilson and Junior Hoilett, only Josh Murphy remains as the club's sole conventional winger, although youngster Rubin Colwill can operate there, too.

Chairman Mehmet Dalman has said the club are looking to bring in another wide player in this window, however all recent noises seem to suggest that will be a loan move for Wolves youngster Ryan Giles.

Because Cardiff don't tend to operate with typical wingers, they instead opt for wing-backs in a back-five formation, quite where these conventional wide players fit in this squad is something of a question mark.

Whyte has shown he can cut it at League One level, with Oxford United and Hull City, but is he someone who can make a difference to a team who is pushing for promotion to the Premier League? That is quite the jump.

To gain a greater insight into Gavin Whyte's most recent stint and what the view from Humberside is regarding the player's future, we spoke to HullLive's Tigers correspondent BARRY COOPER...

Q. What impressed you about Gavin Whyte's loan spell at Hull City?

Whyte had obvious quality and showed it in glimpses, his pace and ability to get in behind the defence was a particular asset for City - certainly in the opening weeks of his loan spell. I think had he stayed fit then his 20 appearances and four goals could well have been swelled somewhat at that level.

Q. Is there anything that left you disappointed with his time there or aspects he needs to improve?

Consistency. At times he looked a real threat, but all too often he'd go quiet in games and you'd struggle to see him too involved, though in fairness to him, the training ground injury he picked up shortly after arriving at the club hampered his progress and having not played a huge amount before that, checked his momentum.

Q. Cardiff tasked with improving his end product and affecting the game more at the top end of the pitch before he went on loan, did he do that at Hull?

That would be my biggest criticism, there's clearly talent there and no shortage of pace, though on too many occasions he would maybe make the wrong decision or unfortunately for him, lack the support in attacking areas he needed. Whyte is one I feel needs more confidence in himself and his own ability, a bit of belief in him could go a long way.

Would you like to see Gavin Whyte stay at Cardiff City? Let us know in the comments section below.

Q. There is a suggestion that Hull could be in for him on a permanent basis, how likely is that to happen, do you think?

I think Grant McCann would love him back, to get him fit and playing regularly, to build his confidence up and strike a tune, unfortunately, the transfer fee Cardiff would surely hope to recoup would ensure any move is a challenging one with City operating with a very restricted budget.

Should a loan move be possible then I could see City reigniting their interest, however, that would surely be down to Mick McCarthy and his own recruitment plans. Ultimately he's an asset and having him kicking around in the Under-23s for the next couple of years would not make great financial sense.

Q. Having seen him week in, week out, if he stays at Cardiff do you think he has what it takes to force his way in and become a valuable member of a team pushing for promotion?

I'm not too sure, there's a player there but week in and week out? I'm not convinced Whyte would be the man to spearhead a push for the Premier League, the end product and ultimately consistency would be my concerns, though, those are areas that could be improved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Gavin Whyte ‘

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:41 am

I found Whytes time extremely frustrating at city.

He seemed to reserve his pace for defending and posed very little threat going forward.

I don't think I ever saw him beat a man or get past the defence.

All the time he's on the ball I would think "go on son, take him on", he never did.

Maybe it was the way he was being managed.

Surely there are better wing/attacking options for us out there.

Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:29 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:I found Whytes time extremely frustrating at city.

He seemed to reserve his pace for defending and posed very little threat going forward.

I don't think I ever saw him beat a man or get past the defence.

All the time he's on the ball I would think "go on son, take him on", he never did.

Maybe it was the way he was being managed.

Surely there are better wing/attacking options for us out there.

What about as a wing back?

Firmly believe he would be class as a wing back.

Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:41 am

Yeah, you're right, I think he would make a decent wing-back.