Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Embarrassing "

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:08 pm

Embarrassing to see Wales and Scotland fans celebrating after the Euro 2020 Final.

We went out in the last 16, being thrashed 4-0, and Scotland went out in the group stage.

Yet people are mocking England for losing the final on penalties :lol: :lol:

Re: " Embarrassing "

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:27 pm

Personally, I think England have had a great tournament and look a top team.
They’ve been lucky to play all but one of their games at home but the days of them having early exits from tournaments are probably over for a while.
I feel sorry for the players, particularly the pen misdeed, and I think the manager as always had been a credit to them.
However, It’s awful the way that Sharer, Lineker etc have bigged up the tactics and are now suggesting that they shouldn’t have played with 2 defensive midfielders; Shearer also questioned the choice of penalty takers.
Of the people I’ve spoken to who wanted them to lose, and there’s been a few just about all of them tho k this way because of these pundits, some of whom were trying to second guess who England would meet in the final even though they were in the WFs at the time.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:28 pm

No your embarrassing wanting England to win .

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Don’t like him but grealish wouldn’t have missed. He has that arrogant streak that never doubts himself. I’m surprised Stirling didn’t take one too. Those 2 would have been my 2 and 3. Maguire took a belter too. No fancy stepping or pausing. Just belt it.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:42 pm

welshrarebit wrote:Don’t like him but grealish wouldn’t have missed. He has that arrogant streak that never doubts himself. I’m surprised Stirling didn’t take one too. Those 2 would have been my 2 and 3. Maguire took a belter too. No fancy stepping or pausing. Just belt it.

Agree.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:53 pm

Speak for yourself.....Whether you wanted them to win or lose is not embarrassing either way....Best team won...Footballs going Rome...

I bet you have joined in the anti English songs down the city at times...

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:20 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Speak for yourself.....Whether you wanted them to win or lose is not embarrassing either way....Best team won...Footballs going Rome...

I bet you have joined in the anti English songs down the city at times...

I’m with Worcester on this. Plus I don’t sing anti English bollocks. Makes me cringe.

Very few English begrudged us our tournament run in 2016.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Why is it embarrassing? I’m a Wales fan and a Cardiff City fan, wanting England to lose is sporting rivalry equivalent to wanting Swansea to lose. I don’t want England to win just cause they’re British the same way I don’t want Swansea winning the PL just cause they’re Welsh.

I certainly haven’t got anything against England. How can you hate the country that gave us the Beatles, Stone Roses and Pink Floyd. I live in England and I’ve got family and friends in England. I think there’s some absolutely fantastic places in England as well. Despite all this I didn’t want them winning tonight, if some people did then fair enough but that’s not my mindset. Hardly an embarrassing one.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:05 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Embarrassing to see Wales and Scotland fans celebrating after the Euro 2020 Final.

We went out in the last 16, being thrashed 4-0, and Scotland went out in the group stage.

yes we were the smallest nation to reach the last 16 and not spent a month singing its coming home....
so yes , it was embarrassing but no doubt the penny will not drop and they will sing it for another month next year....

Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:37 am

I have English friends and I don't have a gripe against their football team which I think has some good players.
The banter with English fans in our league is great.
What turns me and many others against their teams is the media continually harping on about how good they are and what their going to win.
Give it a rest for gods sake.
In another 55 years time Saka (who is a great player ) will be 74 years old, that's when they may reach another final. :old:

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:21 am

From the headline I thought it was about fans storming the turnstyles or the English players immediately taking their runners up medals off after the presentation.
What a strange post as nearly every Welsh person I know never wants England to win.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Embarrassing to see Wales and Scotland fans celebrating after the Euro 2020 Final.

Singing don't take me home, when they were at home?????

Was pretty embarrassing :thumbup:

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 am

The fault of England losing is down to one man Southgate, his tactics were all wrong, after a good first half, Italy came out changing theirs, he should have altered his and brought on a few subs, not bringing on Grealish and not in extra time, but bringing on Henderson which was a monumental mistake, and after extra time he was lucky to get Rashford and Sancho with thirty seconds left, absolutely crazy, it might have been better if he did not manage to get them on. Pundits were saying that the two players, did not have time to warm up, what a load of bollux, the reason they missed the penalties was because of their stupid run up, just hit the bloody ball, when are players going to stop doing this, just stupid!
Lastly the order of taking the penalties, what was the matter with Sterling and Grealish take one of the first five. It could have been completely different outcome, as I said down to one man.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:44 am

I’m glad they lost,they couldn’t have had a better chance to win it,all but one game at home,they started well but the Italians took control in the second half,not a good way to lose a final,but overall think Italy deserved the win

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:02 am

I will choose who I want to win a football match and I won't be shamed into changing my mind.

I wanted an Italian win because I didn't want the country I think of as our main international rival to win the tournament.

By the same score why would I want Swansea City to win the FA Cup and Bristol City to be promoted to the PL just because Cardiff City were knocked out in the early rounds and didn't finish in the top six?

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am

Igovernor wrote:The fault of England losing is down to one man Southgate, his tactics were all wrong, after a good first half, Italy came out changing theirs, he should have altered his and brought on a few subs, not bringing on Grealish, and not in extra time, but bringing on Henderson which was a monumental mistake, and after extra time he was lucky to get Rashford and Sancho with thirty seconds left, absolutely crazy, it might have been better if he did not manage to get them on. Pundits were saying that the two players, did not have time to warm up, what a load of bollux, the reason they missed the penalties was because of their stupid run up, just hit the bloody ball, when are players going to stop doing this, just stupid!
Lastly the order of taking the penalties, what was the matter with Sterling and Grealish take one of the first five. It could have been completely different outcome, as I said down to one man.

Couldn't agree more. Southgate had a lucky run to the Final and the first time he was really tested he came up short.

Totally overrated.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:06 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

I will choose who I want to win a football match and I won't be shamed into changing my mind.

I wanted an Italian win because I didn't want the country I think of as our main international rival to win the tournament.

By the same score why would I want Swansea City to win the FA Cup and Bristol City to be promoted to the PL just because Cardiff City were knocked out in the early rounds and didn't finish in the top six?

This

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:17 am

I think the idea of England supporting us at Euro 2016 is a bit over played. They were happy for us to be there but there was a definite change in attitude after they got knocked out, talksport presenters openly said they were supporting Belgium an Portugal.
Football is about rivalry and you want your rivals to be competitive but not successful.
UK

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:38 am

I'll support who I want to without feeling embarrassed. We have had grief as both City and Wales fans over the years. You have to learn to take it. It makes it all the sweeter when you win. I remember playing Southampton in the premier. They equalised very late. It was horrible to see them gloating in such a vital match. Then Zohore scored straight after. What a feeling now the boot was on the other foot. Fans (and players) need the lows to experience the highs

We got dumped out by a decent Danish team who we were told by Sally Nugent everyone wanted to win (except when they are playing England). England blew it and all the "It's coming home" hats can be discarded

Anyway roll on August 7th and club football where at least we won't get the Euros rammed down our throats every away game

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:57 am

Igovernor wrote:The fault of England losing is down to one man Southgate, his tactics were all wrong, after a good first half, Italy came out changing theirs, he should have altered his and brought on a few subs, not bringing on Grealish, and not in extra time, but bringing on Henderson which was a monumental mistake, and after extra time he was lucky to get Rashford and Sancho with thirty seconds left, absolutely crazy, it might have been better if he did not manage to get them on. Pundits were saying that the two players, did not have time to warm up, what a load of bollux, the reason they missed the penalties was because of their stupid run up, just hit the bloody ball, when are players going to stop doing this, just stupid!

Couldn't agree more. Southgate had a lucky run to the Final and the first time he was really tested he came up short.

Totally overrated.

Totally agree also, they were the second best team in the semis, not in the tournament, they had home advantage, virtually no travel and the easiest passage they will ever have, and even a free penalty in the semi's and still messed it up :thumbup:

Loads of reports saying they can win the World cup not realising how much harder it will be if they don't get a free run to the final :roll:

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:59 am

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:I'll support who I want to without feeling embarrassed. We have had grief as both City and Wales fans over the years. You have to learn to take it. It makes it all the sweeter when you win. I remember playing Southampton in the premier. They equalised very late. It was horrible to see them gloating in such a vital match. Then Zohore scored straight after. What a feeling now the boot was on the other foot. Fans (and players) need the lows to experience the highs

We got dumped out by a decent Danish team who we were told by Sally Nugent everyone wanted to win (except when they are playing England). England blew it and all the "It's coming home" hats can be discarded

Anyway roll on August 7th and club football where at least we won't get the Euros rammed down our throats every away game

Well said sir!

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:11 am

Igovernor wrote:The fault of England losing is down to one man Southgate, his tactics were all wrong, after a good first half, Italy came out changing theirs, he should have altered his and brought on a few subs, not bringing on Grealish and not in extra time, but bringing on Henderson which was a monumental mistake, and after extra time he was lucky to get Rashford and Sancho with thirty seconds left, absolutely crazy, it might have been better if he did not manage to get them on. Pundits were saying that the two players, did not have time to warm up, what a load of bollux, the reason they missed the penalties was because of their stupid run up, just hit the bloody ball, when are players going to stop doing this, just stupid!

Agree 100% I would be horrified if he resigned from England and became Cardiff's manager. He is a poor manager who got Middlesborough relegated. We were lucky he was managing Middlesborough when we played them in the FA cup quarter final. He just happened to get lucky in managing the England under 21s when they had such a talented bunch of players even a duffer like him couldn't go wrong. Last night his limitations were exposed. Any halfway competent manager could have got England to the finaL such is the talent they have and with the advantage of playing at home. I can't think of a more overrated manager ever.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 am

I think its more embarrassing that a Cardiff fan supports England to be honest. Supporting England in the euros is the equivalent of cardiff fans supporting Swansea in the fa Cup if they make it further in the competition.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Postby Bluebina » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:57 am

Igovernor wrote:
The fault of England losing is down to one man Southgate, his tactics were all wrong, after a good first half, Italy came out changing theirs, he should have altered his and brought on a few subs, not bringing on Grealish, and not in extra time, but bringing on Henderson which was a monumental mistake, and after extra time he was lucky to get Rashford and Sancho with thirty seconds left, absolutely crazy, it might have been better if he did not manage to get them on. Pundits were saying that the two players, did not have time to warm up, what a load of bollux, the reason they missed the penalties was because of their stupid run up, just hit the bloody ball, when are players going to stop doing this, just stupid!

Totally overrated.

Totally agree also, they were the second best team in the semis, not in the tournament, they had home advantage, virtually no travel and the easiest passage they will ever have, and even a free penalty in the semi's and still messed it up :thumbup:

Not Southgate's best performance where he was completely outdone by Roberto Mancini, and yes, they had been a "bit lucky" with so little travelling, virtually all games at home plus one or two favourable refereeing decisions along the way.
They started off brilliantly with possibly the goal of the tournament, including a great pass from Harry Kane, but then Italy pretty much took over, and Southgate's weaknesses were shown up as he was unable to handle the situation, even with all the talent that he had on the bench. When Declan Rice (very good performance) was taken off I was expecting to see Jack Grealish come on and also a couple of other changes as both Raheem Stirling and Harry Kane had become almost invisible, but and at the end of the day England were a bit lucky that the Italians didn't wrap the game up way before the penalties.

To be fair, England got further than I expected, but Southgate will really need to learn how to react when his team is being run ragged.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:49 pm

ESCOTT 1927

Cound'nt agree more well said cardiff welsh english not
all this b.ll.cks about england getting behind wales 2016 they went out early to iceland and lineaker shearer ferdinand where left with wales looking like rabbits in a headlight they could' nt suddenly end there panel and where left having to draft in saunders to give us some representation through gritted teeth
Also i have witnessed and been beaten up by england fans for watching a wales game in a pub in Southport on my own many years ago so stop all this england loving b.ll.cks
No doubt they' ll be singing god save the queen down the city when they arrive from all parts of england this coming season and we will have our replies ready rhymes with home

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Using this logic did you support the Jacks in this years play off final because they were also a Welsh team?

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:05 pm

Bushy Eyebrows wrote:

Using this logic did you support the Jacks in this years play off final because they were also a Welsh team?

Totally different

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:33 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bushy Eyebrows wrote:

Totally different

The only difference I can see if you are a English born Bluebird IMHO. One Club & one nation that's where your loyalty should always remain not with your nearest rivals but each to their own.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:34 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bushy Eyebrows wrote:

Totally different

Its exactly the same.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Igovernor wrote:The fault of England losing is down to one man Southgate, his tactics were all wrong, after a good first half, Italy came out changing theirs, he should have altered his and brought on a few subs, not bringing on Grealish and not in extra time, but bringing on Henderson which was a monumental mistake, and after extra time he was lucky to get Rashford and Sancho with thirty seconds left, absolutely crazy, it might have been better if he did not manage to get them on. Pundits were saying that the two players, did not have time to warm up, what a load of bollux, the reason they missed the penalties was because of their stupid run up, just hit the bloody ball, when are players going to stop doing this, just stupid!

Sterlings record isnt very good and im not sure Grealish has taken many where as both Rashford and Sancho have very good records...