Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff to complete signing of Wolves midfielder today

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:46 am

Cardiff City are set to complete the signing of Ryan Giles from Wolves today, Football Insider has learned. A Cardiff City source has told Football Insider that Giles, 21, is set to put pen to paper on the loan move today. The deal will then be announced in what is regarded as a major coup for Wolves.

Season long Loan move.

Tuesday 13th July 2021

It is understood the Bluebirds beaten off interest from multiple Championship clubs to win the race for Giles. Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy is a huge admirer of the young midfielder.

Giles was named Academy Player of the Year at McCarthy’s old club Wolves in 2018. The 21-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Rotherham, making 27 appearances. He was unable to help the Millers stay in the second tier with his contribution of two goals.

Giles had previously spent time on loan at Coventry City. He initially joined the Sky Blues in January 2020 but only made one appearance for the club after the season was curtailed due to the pandemic. Giles then re-joined last summer before being recalled by Wolves in January. He made 19 appearances and picked up one assist during his second spell at the club.

As it stands, Giles has only senior Wolves appearance to his name. That came in a 2-2 FA Cup draw with Shrewsbury in January 2019.

Re: Cardiff to complete signing of Wolves midfielder today

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:16 am

Strange, we have him on a season long loan but his contract with wolves ends at the end of the coming season, so then he is a free agent. The only thing I can see here is a season long loan with a really good loan fee to Wolves paying what he is worth to buy. One point from the article is saying I quote:
"The deal will then be announced in what is regarded as a major coup for Wolves." or should that read a major coup for cardiff?
Really odd this one, unless we are buying him?

Forget all this post, as far as i can see, the article has got his contract details wrong, his contract ends 2025 or so it says. it would mean he has just signed a 4 year contract recently, I thought he signed a 4 year contract in 2018 ??????

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:36 am

Igovernor wrote:Strange, we have him on a season long loan but his contract with wolves ends at the end of the coming season, so then he is a free agent. The only thing I can see here is a season long loan with a really good loan fee to Wolves paying what he is worth to buy. One point from the article is saying I quote:
"The deal will then be announced in what is regarded as a major coup for Wolves." or should that read a major coup for cardiff?
Really odd this one, unless we are buying him?

Forget all this post, as far as i can see, the article has got his contract details wrong, his contract ends 2025 or so it says. it would mean he has just signed a 4 year contract recently, I thought he signed a 4 year contract in 2018 ??????

Probably done extension of present contract hence the extended date? But sounds a good signing young and must play kind of football at wolves we would like at city..

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 am

Sounds like a decent signing from what I've read.

Appears to be the replacement for Bennett, to compete with Bagan in that position.

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Really good player this guy..was a standout player In Rotherham’s ridiculously hectic run in last season

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:35 pm

Good Luck To The Lad :bluebird: