Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Football has gone MAD !!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:04 am

At the point in time when Covid has knocked the whole structure of sport and indeed football where the finances are at a premium. We now get Harry Kane being lined up in a £160M move to Man City. How crazy is that when a top club in the Premier can offer an amount for ONEplayer which is 3 times the value of the entire operating budget most Championship Clubs (including that of Cardiff City). Football has lost its way, how such a gap has appeared between the first and second tier is absolutely bonkers and dare I say dangerous for all clubs by undermining competition throughout football. :bluebird:

Re: Football has gone MAD !!!!!!!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:42 am

Whistler wrote:At the point in time when Covid has knocked the whole structure of sport and indeed football where the finances are at a premium. We now get Harry Kane being lined up in a £160M move to Man City. How crazy is that when a top club in the Premier can offer an amount for ONEplayer which is 3 times the value of the entire operating budget most Championship Clubs (including that of Cardiff City). Football has lost its way, how such a gap has appeared between the first and second tier is absolutely bonkers and dare I say dangerous for all clubs by undermining competition throughout football. :bluebird:

very difficult for championship clubs to go up and compete i agree....but dont see it changing for the better as its the prem that TV companies and sponsors are interested in...

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm

skidemin wrote:
Whistler wrote:At the point in time when Covid has knocked the whole structure of sport and indeed football where the finances are at a premium. We now get Harry Kane being lined up in a £160M move to Man City. How crazy is that when a top club in the Premier can offer an amount for ONEplayer which is 3 times the value of the entire operating budget most Championship Clubs (including that of Cardiff City). Football has lost its way, how such a gap has appeared between the first and second tier is absolutely bonkers and dare I say dangerous for all clubs by undermining competition throughout football. :bluebird:

very difficult for championship clubs to go up and compete i agree....but dont see it changing for the better as its the prem that TV companies and sponsors are interested in...

Lets be honest, if it was us buying him and being top of the league would we be complaining.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:15 pm

salopiancity wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Lets be honest, if it was us buying him and being top of the league would we be complaining.

Dare I say that is true, however the likes of Man City in particular have taken wild spending to a new level that is not necessarily required to win the Premiership.

By which I mean will Kane make them any better? Is/was Kane better than Aguero??

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:46 pm

I used to love watching football in the old first division as a kid and younger man as it was more of an even playing field.
Clubs like Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea occasionally struggled or were relegated giving other clubs a chance of success.
However, in recent years the thrill has gone with the Premier League and the massive money involved with the big clubs, you generally know who will be in the top six as each season progresses (with the recent exception of Leicester who had done remarkable as a club)
If Kane goes to Man City this summer, the Premiership is already over in my eyes as they would have bought the title!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 pm

salopiancity wrote:
skidemin wrote:

im not complaining..it is what it is... clubs have always tried to buy better players { buy the title } amounts now are vastly different but the idea is the same...

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:46 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:I used to love watching football in the old first division as a kid and younger man as it was more of an even playing field.
Clubs like Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea occasionally struggled or were relegated giving other clubs a chance of success.
However, in recent years the thrill has gone with the Premier League and the massive money involved with the big clubs, you generally know who will be in the top six as each season progresses (with the recent exception of Leicester who had done remarkable as a club)
If Kane goes to Man City this summer, the Premiership is already over in my eyes as they would have bought the title!

You are so right. In the 25 years up to the mid eighties, the title was won by 12 different clubs Leeds, Liverpool, Man City, Derby, Tottenham, Ipswich, Aston Villa, Everton, Forest, Man Utd, Burnley and Wolves.