Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE SUCCESS OF THE ACADEMY.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Over the last 10 years the club has taken a bit of stick about the academy but I for one gave them credit, always said this years 8 years old are future 1st team players and it takes time ,in the days of dave Jones the academy and 1st team squads etc didn't have the facilities, look what we got now ,houses of sports in partnership with the universities all over the place, the club has invested in the academy big time and now it seems to be bearing fruit ,I can't remember a season in recent times where so many academy players are stepping up to the 1st team squad .it's definitely the way forward. Lets hope these new 1st team players get the support from us .and develop into top championship/premiership players .I remember an article a few years ago in which Bellamy said there was a lot of quality in the academy in all age groups ,looks like he was right.

Re: THE SUCCESS OF THE ACADEMY.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 pm

Totally agree, and we need to keep it going to try to get to academy one status. I really think that it can be a much better
long-term investment than splashing out crazy amounts needed to buy in all the skills that we need from season to season.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:13 pm

wez1927 wrote:Over the last 10 years the club has taken a bit of stick about the academy but I for one gave them credit, always said this years 8 years old are future 1st team players and it takes time ,in the days of dave Jones the academy and 1st team squads etc didn't have the facilities, look what we got now ,houses of sports in partnership with the universities all over the place, the club has invested in the academy big time and now it seems to be bearing fruit ,I can't remember a season in recent times where so many academy players are stepping up to the 1st team squad .it's definitely the way forward. Lets hope these new 1st team players get the support from us .and develop into top championship/premiership players .I remember an article a few years ago in which Bellamy said there was a lot of quality in the academy in all age groups ,looks like he was right.

are you serious ? this is not a case of academy players stepping up and pushing out seasoned pros its a financial decision...end of last season our bench was full of kids but they had not pushed anyone OFF the bench ,it was the squad was thin and was all we had....
christ mate we would all like a Rambo or an Earnie... who actually did have to force their way in but dont go making stuff up....

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:08 pm

skidemin wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Over the last 10 years the club has taken a bit of stick about the academy but I for one gave them credit, always said this years 8 years old are future 1st team players and it takes time ,in the days of dave Jones the academy and 1st team squads etc didn't have the facilities, look what we got now ,houses of sports in partnership with the universities all over the place, the club has invested in the academy big time and now it seems to be bearing fruit ,I can't remember a season in recent times where so many academy players are stepping up to the 1st team squad .it's definitely the way forward. Lets hope these new 1st team players get the support from us .and develop into top championship/premiership players .I remember an article a few years ago in which Bellamy said there was a lot of quality in the academy in all age groups ,looks like he was right.

are you serious ? this is not a case of academy players stepping up and pushing out seasoned pros its a financial decision...end of last season our bench was full of kids but they had not pushed anyone OFF the bench ,it was the squad was thin and was all we had....
christ mate we would all like a Rambo or an Earnie... who actually did have to force their way in but dont go making stuff up....

Where have I made up that any of the academy players has push anyone off the bench ? Mind you ralls had came into the academy and then into the 1st team recently, The fact is we in the last few years are blooding the Accademy kids and that is a a good thing long term ,us as a club cannot keep paying crazy money and going further into debt . Look at the academy it's improved 10 fold over the last few years ,we need Accademy status 1 so we don't get another motondo moment again .I'm pleased with the progress that is being made and the future looks brighter .

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Scoularite wrote:Totally agree, and we need to keep it going to try to get to academy one status. I really think that it can be a much better
long-term investment than splashing out crazy amounts needed to buy in all the skills that we need from season to season.

Totally agree ,montondo went to man city coz of lack of status one

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:26 pm

No, we're not there by a long way, but Rubin Colwill has come through and was good enough to get into the Wales squad, while Kieron Evans has apparently attracted interest from Newcastle so could also be on the verge, while it's not that long ago that we lost Rabbi Matondo to Man City who subsequently sold him for something like £10m or so.

Let's just hope we can get up to Academy level 1 so that we can make it more effective and not lose out as we did with Matondo.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:33 pm

wez1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Where have I made up that any of the academy players has push anyone off the bench ? Mind you ralls had came into the academy and then into the 1st team recently, The fact is we in the last few years are blooding the Accademy kids and that is a a good thing long term ,us as a club cannot keep paying crazy money and going further into debt . Look at the academy it's improved 10 fold over the last few years ,we need Accademy status 1 so we don't get another motondo moment again .I'm pleased with the progress that is being made and the future looks brighter .

you havent said it like it is Wez .... and who in the last few years ? ..its the last bit of last season when forced too...
and i have looked... and tbh had it improved to the degree you say it has the Wales age group teams would be flooded with Cardiff City kids , our managers would have picked them over existing players not just to fill gaps because there is no one else and our club would be busy fending off cheeky bids and downright stealing other young players just like Man City did with Rabi Matondo 5 years ago.... lets actually get a rep for producing quality instead of just claiming we have on the back of a few enforced apps and friendlies
i agree cat1 might help but its not a guarantee... most of those that have come through Swansea cat 1 academy were players bought for smallish fees but those smallish fees are more than we are currently paying for 1st team players...
progress for me would be 2 regulars in the first team that are there purely on merit .
as for Joe Ralls.... really ? 6 managers and how many years ago was that ....
Last edited by skidemin on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Scoularite wrote:No, we're not there by a long way, but Rubin Colwill has come through and was good enough to get into the Wales squad, while Kieron Evans has apparently attracted interest from Newcastle so could also be on the verge, while it's not that long ago that we lost Rabbi Matondo to Man City who subsequently sold him for something like £10m or so.

Let's just hope we can get up to Academy level 1 so that we can make it more effective and not lose out as we did with Matondo.

Agree

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 pm

This season will tell us if the Academy of late is a success.

We are giving these Acads a chance due to the fact we have to. The next few months will answer some questions.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:This season will tell us if the Academy of late is a success.

We are giving these Acads a chance due to the fact we have to. The next few months will answer some questions.

Absolutely.

You can bring in 2-3 players, but to throw in up to 10 hmmmmm?

This is about low low low wages not about bringing through quality

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:44 pm

by Forever Blue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
This season will tell us if the Academy of late is a success.

Absolutely.

You can bring in 2-3 players, but to throw in up to 10 hmmmmm?

This is about low low low wages not about bringing through quality

Can't argue with either point and cost is almost certainly the driver, but hopefully we can keep improving the academy so that we can move towards seeing a couple of players breaking into the first-team squad every year, or even sell some of them. After all, a lot of the players we've previously brought in haven't exactly delivered, but have still cost us a fortune.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:40 am

Bakedalasker wrote:This season will tell us if the Academy of late is a success.

Totally agree Ian they wouldn't be there in my opinion if it wasn't down to the money side within and what's going on but hopefully they come good we shall soon see. The media talk of 10 was delusional at best bigging them up one minute then released some :lol:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 am

skidemin wrote:

Wez in dream world again

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:25 am

Daya wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Wez in dream world again

Whens Bale signing sad sack :lol:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:40 am

If Ralls is the best example of academy success might as well close it down now. We signed him from Farnborough when he was 17!
I agree with everyone who is saying the current crop of youngsters on our bench is a sign of our weakness and financial failings not of the strength of our academy. We would all love one of them to come good but blooding too many, or being dependent on them, is unlikely to help their development or our results and position in the league table.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

Wez mate i would give up trying to educate some of these fans (alledgedly)Most on here have probably never watched any of the under 18s /23s Yes we need academy 1 status But it looks like the club has learnt from the montado debacle As they have given most of the best youngsters contracts to stop them being taken for nothing
Next season the likes of bagan colwill bowen evans and davies will be playing first team football
Also ratcliffe is a great prospect to come through (hes a goalkeeper )Sang and brown are great cover also Plus we have a good crop of 16 and 17 yr olds playing up the age groups
For anyone interested pop down the training ground by david lloyds club near the magic round about
In cardiff most evenings from 5 pm to about 9pm watch the training under 6s upto under 12s are getting
Loads of coaches and the academy manager hughes often shows up Its massive whats going on behind the scenes I got 2 grandkids with them and they get matches on saturday
There next few games are with southamton /villa /w brom/birmingham/ chelsea and they get to play them away aswell
Under 6s and upwards I have no idea how much this is costing but without tan im sure it would not be happening
This board is not happy unless moaning
Moaning about the same things but not actually having a scooby of what goes on

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:59 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Wez mate i would give up trying to educate some of these fans (alledgedly)Most on here have probably never watched any of the under 18s /23s Yes we need academy 1 status But it looks like the club has learnt from the montado debacle As they have given most of the best youngsters contracts to stop them being taken for nothing
Next season the likes of bagan colwill bowen evans and davies will be playing first team football
Also ratcliffe is a great prospect to come through (hes a goalkeeper )Sang and brown are great cover also Plus we have a good crop of 16 and 17 yr olds playing up the age groups
For anyone interested pop down the training ground by david lloyds club near the magic round about
In cardiff most evenings from 5 pm to about 9pm watch the training under 6s upto under 12s are getting
Loads of coaches and the academy manager hughes often shows up Its massive whats going on behind the scenes I got 2 grandkids with them and they get matches on saturday
There next few games are with southamton /villa /w brom/birmingham/ chelsea and they get to play them away aswell
Under 6s and upwards I have no idea how much this is costing but without tan im sure it would not be happening

That's my point the club have come along way and it takes time for players to come through

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 pm

The good thing about bringing these players through the age pathways is that they're having to prove themselves and really work to get a place in the team. I think it means a lot to some of these players to get a chance at a club the size of ours.

Of the players recently brought through, albeit players like Bagan, Sang and Brown not being directly from our own youth academy, it is a good sign that we have some good player identification at that level. None of those players have let us down.

As a club, we do far better developing players with lower transfer fees. It takes away that level of expectation and gives them room to grow.

Much of our season hinges on the development this season of players like Colwill and Bagan. Colwill in particular looks like he could be quite a unique player with his physique. I don't want to get too carried away by him, he is yet to score or assist a goal as of yet, but you'd like to think those first few goals for him will really push him on.

Whilst we are clearly cutting costs and not just brining youth through, there are lots of free agents/loans that the club could sign relatively cheaply, but there is an element of trust that we'll be okay with what we have got. Mick may be looked on by us as Toshack has been for Wales :thumbup: :bluescarf: :toothy8:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm

NPCF3 wrote:The good thing about bringing these players through the age pathways is that they're having to prove themselves and really work to get a place in the team. I think it means a lot to some of these players to get a chance at a club the size of ours.

Of the players recently brought through, albeit players like Bagan, Sang and Brown not being directly from our own youth academy, it is a good sign that we have some good player identification at that level. None of those players have let us down.

As a club, we do far better developing players with lower transfer fees. It takes away that level of expectation and gives them room to grow.

Much of our season hinges on the development this season of players like Colwill and Bagan. Colwill in particular looks like he could be quite a unique player with his physique. I don't want to get too carried away by him, he is yet to score or assist a goal as of yet, but you'd like to think those first few goals for him will really push him on.

Whilst we are clearly cutting costs and not just brining youth through, there are lots of free agents/loans that the club could sign relatively cheaply, but there is an element of trust that we'll be okay with what we have got. Mick may be looked on by us as Toshack has been for Wales :thumbup: :bluescarf: :toothy8:

Great post and fingers crossed... :thumbup: :ayatollah: :clap:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:45 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Wez mate i would give up trying to educate some of these fans (alledgedly)Most on here have probably never watched any of the under 18s /23s Yes we need academy 1 status But it looks like the club has learnt from the montado debacle As they have given most of the best youngsters contracts to stop them being taken for nothing

learned what? that you can not give professional contracts to 15 year olds...?

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:01 pm

skidemin wrote:

Think he means 16 year olds

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm

wez1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Think he means 16 year olds

he did not mention the age.....just the boy the lesson had been learned from...