Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ CARDIFF MAKE IT WAY TO EASY & TOTALLY OUTCLASSED TONIGHT’

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Che Adams double helps Saints to easy win in front of Bluebirds fans

By Glen Williams

Tuesday 27th July 2021

Southampton totally outclassed Cardiff City with a 4-0 win in the Bluebirds' penultimate pre-season friendly.

For the majority of the game City were outplayed and exposed.

It was the first time City supporters were allowed back inside the stadium since February 2020, but they were not treated to the victory they so desperately craved.

In fact, it was comprehensive and professional from the Premier League side.

A first-half goal from Theo Walcott gave Southampton control before Moussa Djenepo curled in a beautiful effort after the break.

And a late Che Adams double really put the nail in the coffin for the Bluebirds, who had flashes but did not create anywhere near enough chances.

Southampton's quality in attack was evident right from the very first whistle. Ralph Hasenhuttl had picked an extremely strong starting lineup, probably not too far away from his strongest Premier League XI.

In attack, they just had a little more sharpness, but Cardiff's defence was robust for the most part, with new signing Mark McGuinness really standing out at the heart of it.

The game settled into a little bit of a parity after half an hour, with the ball being contested far more in the middle of the park.

From that came the first chance of the half. Mark Harris spotted Joel Bagan making an overlapping run behind the defence and into the box and he fed a pinpoint pass into his stride. The young left back hit it first time and struck it sweetly, but it was straight at Fraser Forster in the Saints goal.

But just two minutes later Southampton took the lead.

Uncharacteristically, Perry Ng was caught dawdling in possession and the lightning-quick Michael Obafemi closed him down and stole the ball in a dangerous area. Before the Bluebirds could regroup, Obafemi drilled in a low cross and Walcott side-footed home.

There would be another chance before the break, though, when Ryan Giles took a leaf out of Obafemi's book and made an interception high up the pitch before bursting into the box, however his low shot across goal was denied by Forster's outstretched right foot.

The visitors started the brighter of the two sides in the second half, but the next big chance fell to City.

Ryan Giles cut in on his left foot over on the right and whipped in a lovely, left-footed cross for Mark Harris, but the striker's effort was saved once again by Forster.

undefined

But, again, it was the Premier League side who proved to be the more clinical.

After seven changes by Hasenhuttl, Southampton were fresh and ready to fire again. Djenepo picked one pass up on the left, cut inside Ng, far too easily, and whipped his effort into the top corner to double the advantage.

A lovely finish but, it must be said, Cardiff were far too accommodating.

Southampton gained a real head of steam late on and City struggled to keep pace.

One defence-splitting pass from Nathan Tella afforded a one-on-one chance for Adams and he dinked his effort over the onrushing Dillon Phillips to add a third.

But they were not done there. Cardiff threw their resources forward, desperately trying to find a goal for their fans, but the Saints broke away with devastating effect.

Adams was played in once again and he rounded Phillips before poking home his second and Southampton's fourth of the evening.

That, as they say, was that.

More minutes in the legs, more exposure for the youngsters, but overall Mick McCarthy's side were simply outplayed.

Cardiff City XI: Phillips, Ng (Jones 70), McGuinness, Nelson, Brown, Bagan (T Davies 70), Bowen (Vaulks 82), Pack (Ralls 82), Trialist (Collins 57), Harris (Tomlin 70), Giles (Murphy 70).

Subs: Smithies, Ratcliffe, Flint, Connolly, Denham, D'Almeida, Whyte, Zimba.

Southampton XI: Forster, Valery (Walker-Peters 62), Stephens, Salisu (Bednarek 62), Perraud (Tella 62), Romeu, Diallo, Walcott (Redmond 62), Elyounoussi (Djenepo 62), Obafemi (Adams 62), Ings (Long 62).

Subs: McCarthy, Lewis, Olufunwa, Fin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ CARDIFF MAKE IT WAY TO EASY & TOTALLY OUTCLASSED TONIG

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:40 pm

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ ALL CCFC FIRST TEAM GAMES “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

BATH CITY 0 CARDIFF CITY 5

CARDIFF CITY 0 CAMBRIDGE 2

CARDIFF CITY 2 CAMBRIDGE 2

FOREST GREEN 1 CARDIFF CITY 2

CARDIFF CITY 2 EXETER 2

CARDIFF CITY 0 SOUTHAMPTON 4

CARDIFF CITY NEWPORT COUNTY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 pm

Disappointed that big mick didn't play the strongest 1st team from the start , I like the youngsters playing but that hammering can't do there confidence any good .

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:51 pm

Yeah fully expected Ralls or Vaulks in midfield. Certainly didn’t think Brown would start. The front 3 was odd but pressed well early in the game. Not sure why we didn’t start with any creativity like Tomlin or Murphy for 45 minutes at least. Seemed like another minutes in legs game and try outs for some players who haven’t even played yet this pre season. Wrong game to do it imo but hey, a classy premiership side who will surely do well this season with the Calibre of players they have, but I hope we play a more familiar 11 on Saturday with Collins, Tomlin, Ralls, Vaulks and Flint in the 11, just so we’re ready for the Barnsley game. Let’s give our main 11 a run out together before then surely...

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Way too many untried and untested younsgters on at the end of the game.

Felt sorry for them facing some of the quality of Southampton had after the changes on the hour.

Some poor performances from NG and Nelson at the back as well.

Can see Sang being first choice RB come the first game.

And Pack looked quality for 50 minutes.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:23 pm

fred keenor wrote:Way too many untried and untested younsgters on at the end of the game.

Felt sorry for them facing some of the quality of Southampton had after the changes on the hour.

Some poor performances from NG and Nelson at the back as well.

Can see Sang being first choice RB come the first game.

And Pack looked quality for 50 minutes.

We have thrown way to many in to the first team squad and many untried, but they are very cheap that’s the reason.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm

Looks like it's going to be a long season!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm

I have always maintained that pre-season are about one thing and one thing only.

That's fitness.

Shouldn't judge results on pre-season friendlies in the same way you can't judge a team or manager after only a few games into the season.

For all these situations, ten league games is normally about the right time to judge - certainly no less than ten league games.

Case and point is that in the past when we've had good seasons, they've often been preceeded by bad pre-season results. When we had poor seasons, they've often been preceeded by good pre-season results.

The players also don't have a competitive edge, because these results don't matter at all.

I still say it's all about fitness, which is why I pay hardly any attention to pre-season games.

So I'm not panicking.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I have always maintained that pre-season are about one thing and one thing only.

That's fitness.

Shouldn't judge results on pre-season friendlies in the same way you can't judge a team or manager after only a few games into the season.

For all these situations, ten league games is normally about the right time to judge - certainly no less than ten league games.

Case and point is that in the past when we've had good seasons, they've often been preceeded by bad pre-season results. When we had poor seasons, they've often been preceeded by good pre-season results.

The players also don't have a competitive edge, because these results don't matter at all.

I still say it's all about fitness, which is why I pay hardly any attention to pre-season games.

So I'm not panicking.

Exactly. The time to make an assessment is after half a dozen league games.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:03 pm

Last season when the play off's were out of reach, many on here called for the blooding of youth to gain experience, MM argued that was against the intrigudy of Cardiff City and the EFL. So lets take a moment to reflect and think why not test them in meaningless friendly's to test their mettle against quality opposition? MM knows what he is working with a whole lot more than now than when he got here given his M.O and has also given the young lads invaluable experience against seasoned pro's which will hold them in good esteem going forwards in what will be a tough season, which they will be called upon as rookies at Championship level.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:47 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I have always maintained that pre-season are about one thing and one thing only.

That's fitness.

So I'm not panicking.

Ned, I tend to agree with you on this, although it is disappointing to see the team capitulate in more than one game

However, pre-season is exactly that and (as I discussed with Annis recently) we've seen City lose all their pre-season games and be promoted and win all their pre-season games and struggle

Way too early to tell and way to early to judge; one of the main reasons I never attend 'friendlies' and similar games

Really looking forward to the season start now. The (and only then) can we truly judge...! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:18 am

That's fitness.

So I'm not panicking.

Pre-seasons are not only about match fitness.

It is also an opportunity to try partnerships on the pitch, new tactics and formation and to address some of the problems / gaps identified last season.

Little or none of that has happened this pre-season.

- apart from half a game against Cambridge we have played the same system
- we have conceded terribly soft goals against much lower opposition
- we play giles out of position on the right of the forward line where he a lot less effective than on the left
- our ball retention and passing, even against much lesser opposition has been appalling
- we haven't tried anything different going forward - we sometimes press high and hope for a loose ball or we play a long ball - if those tactics fail we have NO plan B
- we looked good against Bath but they hadn't played a competitive game since early FEB - interestingly enough against Bath is when we played our strongest team but since then we have played a mismatch of youngsters & reserves sprinkled with a few seniors
- MM has done NOTHING to address the issue of ball retention, creativity and ball carrying in midfield
- we have lost Junior, Ojo, Wilson and Bennett - and replaced them ALL with Giles
- we haven't tried ANYTHING new this preseason - we are lethargic and predictable

Can't think about many positives from this pre-season to be honest apart from the number of youngsters coming through - although coming into a team so devoid of possession and flair hasn't done them too many favours.

I don't mind getting beat in pre-season, we have been hammered before and gone on to have a decent season. So while I don't worry about it too much, some of the issues I list above are not just issues that have come up this pre-season but are really issues we have had for years.

We will be 'OK' this with a realistic 11 or 12 place finish as you get the feeling that other teams are really struggling, but the continuous issues going forward and in midfield remain shocking

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 am

Reply Twitter:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 am

Reply Twitter:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:11 am

Just a thought to contemplate, many of the players not playing at the kick off last night are out of contract at the end of this season.

Ralls, Vaulks, Morrison, Flint,Murphy and Smithies

One hell of a gamble by VT to keep these youngsters in the side.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 am

Bushy Eyebrows wrote:Last season when the play off's were out of reach, many on here called for the blooding of youth to gain experience, MM argued that was against the intrigudy of Cardiff City and the EFL. So lets take a moment to reflect and think why not test them in meaningless friendly's to test their mettle against quality opposition? MM knows what he is working with a whole lot more than now than when he got here given his M.O and has also given the young lads invaluable experience against seasoned pro's which will hold them in good esteem going forwards in what will be a tough season, which they will be called upon as rookies at Championship level.

So they should if had games.

Instead we have now put 8 Accademy players in from an U23 team that struggled. No way are all these 8 good enough for Championship level, they struggled many last season.

We all want to see our youth do well, but you blend them in and play one or two then maybe a couple more if good enough.

It’s because they are on £400 a week and poor Mick has no choice, the committee have virtually put it on him.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 am

Anyway just to try and glean something from last night in my humble opinion I think we a real talent in Joel Bagan

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am

Agree about Bagan
Looks very comfortable in defence and going forward

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 am

We had Collins, Tomlin, Vaulks, Ralls, Flint, Murphy on the bench for Soton when we were struggling?!!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 am

I know pre season games are about getting players fit trying out one or two youngsters etc but quite honestly we have been awful. Even in some of the games against lower division opposition that we haven't lost we have been outclassed for lomg peroids by teams we should be outclassing. Perhaps some master plan in in place and it all will come right by the start of the season.

Must say before the pre season friendlies started I fancied us to make the playoffs now I am thinking mid table. Maybe I am reading more into pre season matches than i should but we have been awful. Another season of being unable to string more than three passes together in midfield is going to be difficult to endure.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 am

Not to bothered about the results in friendlies but I am concerned with the teams Mick has picked for them. Was expecting to see a much stronger team last night that would be not far off what we see against Barnsley. Preseason is about fitness but its also about getting the team playing together. Id imagine (hope) that the team that starts against Barnsley will be completely different to the team that played last night. Just think The game could have been a really good test for our strongest team that was available.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Southampton were favourites for relegation from the Premier League when we won the double over them, however they changed their manager and stayed up and we were relegated! How times have changed!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:23 pm

That's fitness.

So I'm not panicking.

It's about fitness???? WTF this lot are well paid professional athletes.

If I turned up to work and said" look I know I'm working today but as I've had a bit of a break/ holiday, I need a few weeks to ease myself back into it"

I'd quite rightly be hoofed off the premises.

They are paid per year NOT per season.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:28 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Southampton were favourites for relegation from the Premier League when we won the double over them, however they changed their manager and stayed up and we were relegated! How times have changed!

Have they sacked Ralph Hasenhuttl who was their manager for both those games ?

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:55 pm

skidemin wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:Southampton were favourites for relegation from the Premier League when we won the double over them, however they changed their manager and stayed up and we were relegated! How times have changed!

They appointed Ralph Hasenhutti just before they lost to us at home, his first game in charge if I remember correctly! We beat them away before that?

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:

That's fitness.

So I'm not panicking.

It's about fitness???? WTF this lot are well paid professional athletes.

If I turned up to work and said" look I know I'm working today but as I've had a bit of a break/ holiday, I need a few weeks to ease myself back into it"

I'd quite rightly be hoofed off the premises.

They are paid per year NOT per season.

Out of curiosity, does you not doing your work for several weeks whilst relaxing on holiday decrease your ability to do your work? And if so, does it take several weeks for you to be able to work at full capacity again?

Going from 9/10 months of playing and training to nothing means the body gets out of shape and loses fitness, are you expecting the players to be at full fitness the moment they step off the plane back onto the training pitch?

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Not to bothered about the results in friendlies but I am concerned with the teams Mick has picked for them. Was expecting to see a much stronger team last night that would be not far off what we see against Barnsley. Preseason is about fitness but its also about getting the team playing together. Id imagine (hope) that the team that starts against Barnsley will be completely different to the team that played last night. Just think The game could have been a really good test for our strongest team that was available.

Totally agree with you .

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

They appointed Ralph Hasenhutti just before they lost to us at home, his first game in charge if I remember correctly! We beat them away before that?

your correct about the home game against them being his first in charge ..but the away win for us came a few months later , it was the game where Sol gave us that salute and was wearing the kit with a yellow daffodil to honour Emiliano Sala on it