Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MICK McCARTHY:WE KNEW IT WOULD BE TOUGH/ I WAS PLEASED

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 am

CARDIFF CITY 0 SOUTHAMPTON 4

“WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE TOUGH / I WAS PLEASED WITH THE FIRST-HALF.”

MICK McCARTHY:

“I loved the atmosphere, it was a great workout and we knew it was going to be a tough game.”

“I thought Sparky [Mark Harris] played well up front and the pick of the bunch was Mark McGuinness.”

“For most of the first-half, I was really pleased with what we were doing: the shape of the team, how we worked, some of the passing and certainly in terms of nullifying them, until we gave the ball away and it ended up in our net.

“We actually had a good reaction because then Ryan Giles had a good effort stopped by the goalkeeper.”

The Gaffer made seven second-half changes, including the introductions of youngsters Tom Davies and Taylor Jones, while Ralph Hasenhüttl brought on seven proven Premier League players.

“In the second-half, we gave the ball away for the second and third goals and they put seven subs on - I’m not sure it weakened their team, I think it made it stronger to be honest.

“We took players off and put Tom Davies on, who has been terrific and Taylor Jones. I thought Sam Bowen was excellent, he’s played well.

“It’s always good to test yourself and you learn more in defeat than you do if you win the game.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MICK McCARTHY:WE KNEW IT WOULD BE TOUGH/ I WAS PLEASED

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:00 am

Listening to the whole of his interview I am a bit more reassured about last night's defeat. He's acknowledged that he would not have picked that side to face such quality opposition and the timing of the game was a bit unfortunate. The injury and Covid-isolation list is pretty horrendous at the moment. I'd also forgot that Bagan, Sang, Morrison and Nelson are all coming back after summer operations. I think we'll see a different side on Saturday and that will be more of a gauge of the team that will play Barnsley. I thought there was hint too that the door is still open to one further signing if someone can be moved on. I think there may be some business to be done next week moving Brown on and then one more being brought in.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 am

Im sure we will know more come the Barnsley game ,if we get in to see it.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am

We lost 4 nil at home and everyone was terrific right. Come on Mm friendly or not we got outclassed all over the park created next to nothing. I dont care if people say its just a run out and its all about fitness nonsence if that's the case play two teams from within the club vs eachother for five games. Winning breeds confidence irrelevant of the sides put out and when players cross the line there not thinking let's have a trott about and get fit bugger winning that's for sure. Although we have next to nothing in class anymore on the pitch bar a few better players. In my opinion we will struggle this season but I'm expecting nothing different really with what's going on at the club and the squad we got. One bonus is a few of the youngsters got a run out again plus fans back in the ground. Give it 5 weeks if we ain't up there in top 6 I await the mm out and tans a c**t brigade as that's how mad social media is.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:34 pm

MM is deluded. We were shite.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:40 am

No midfield, no cutting edge up front. We are in trouble. It is going to take 2 or 3 seasons for the youngster to come up to championship level.