Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Two Cardiff players to leave / one sold & one on loan “

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am

Apparently Ciaron Browns move to Boro may be on as Warnock has put a small offer now in, but not a cheeky one , apparently Whyte was pulled from the squad last minute last night due to a loan move being finalised?

Re: “ Two Cardiff players to leave / one sold & one on loan

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:50 am

Reply Twitter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:04 am

I'm not convinced by Brown so if we get a decent offer he should go.

We have plenty of CBs particularly with MM saying that he wanted to use Pack there more often.

Whyte doesn't seem to be rated by MM so probably a loan/sale is the best thing for him.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 am

Brown was by far our best centre back last night imo

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 am

Forever Blue wrote:Reply Twitter:

but Kieron Evans is already in the squad instead of someone else..... cant just keep getting rid

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 am

troobloo3339 wrote:Brown was by far our best centre back last night imo

Yep, he is a decent player but if he's not going to sign a contract extension and we get an offer then it would be silly not to cash in unless he was irreplaceable.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 am

Brown leaves for free next season and there are 4 CBs ahead of him at the moment, If a money offer comes in we should sell.

With the squad as small as it is, loaning whyte out doesn't really help us. Selling him would be better if we could bring a replacement in. Think his versatility could come in handy this season though.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 am

So with those two moving out, does that mean it frees up some space and some wages to bring two in? Ideally I'd like to see Robbie Brady come down here, I think he will do well under MM and perhaps bring in a more experienced left back. I don't think Bagan is capable of a full season as first choice... we need cover there.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 am

Escott1927 wrote:Brown leaves for free next season and there are 4 CBs ahead of him at the moment, If a money offer comes in we should sell.

With the squad as small as it is, loaning whyte out doesn't really help us. Selling him would be better if we could bring a replacement in. Think his versatility could come in handy this season though.

cant agree...the squad is way to thin as it is... as for him going for free next season there is a cost in playing football every year and contracts running down is part of that cost....and if you take this { only a year left so take whatever is offered now } to its limit we wouldnt have any experience left at all
personally im not convinced about either Brown or Whyte but im basing that on recent squads ..but they are both internationals and as things stand i have no confidence in us bringing in anyone better and could mean adding even more academy players ..8 is more than enough....

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:45 am

Christ if Brown was our best centre back in a match we lost 0-4 at home without Southampton needing to get out of third gear what was the rest of the defence like?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:03 am

Crayfish wrote:

Christ if Brown was our best centre back in a match we lost 0-4 at home without Southampton needing to get out of third gear what was the rest of the defence like?

McGuiness was by far our best imo. Good to get rid of those two if we can get one or two in; they’re surplus to requirements

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am

Given that contracts will run out next June for Smithies, Morrison, Flint, Vaulks, Ralls, Pack, Tomlin, Murphy and Vassell I was surprised that MM thought letting Brown go for free would be an issue.

How much have the club paid for that lot? probably not far off £30m. I hope MM has a plan for replacing them that goes beyond promoting players from the U23's.

Does offering Brown a new contract translate to both Morrison and Flint being available NOW before they leave for nothing next June.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 am

castleblue wrote:Given that contracts will run out next June for Smithies, Morrison, Flint, Vaulks, Ralls, Pack, Tomlin, Murphy and Vassell I was surprised that MM thought letting Brown go for free would be an issue.

How much have the club paid for that lot? probably not far off £30m. I hope MM has a plan for replacing them that goes beyond promoting players from the U23's.

Does offering Brown a new contract translate to both Morrison and Flint being available NOW before they leave for nothing next June.

have they no value to ourselves this season......?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 am

Id hazard a guess anyone could leave for a nominal fee just to reduce the wage bill.

The reset button has well and truly been pushed at Cardiff City.
Hope VT, Dalman and Choo realise the implications of this.

For success to happen there needs to be a feel good factor around the players, staff and most importantly the supporters.

Any feel good factor around the club is quickly diminishing.

When was the last time we were relegated from the championship?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 am

skidemin wrote:
castleblue wrote:Given that contracts will run out next June for Smithies, Morrison, Flint, Vaulks, Ralls, Pack, Tomlin, Murphy and Vassell I was surprised that MM thought letting Brown go for free would be an issue.

Excellent point

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:Brown leaves for free next season and there are 4 CBs ahead of him at the moment, If a money offer comes in we should sell.

cant agree...the squad is way to thin as it is... as for him going for free next season there is a cost in playing football every year and contracts running down is part of that cost....and if you take this { only a year left so take whatever is offered now } to its limit we wouldnt have any experience left at all
personally im not convinced about either Brown or Whyte but im basing that on recent squads ..but they are both internationals and as things stand i have no confidence in us bringing in anyone better and could mean adding even more academy players ..8 is more than enough....

If we sold all our players with one year left on their contracts, yea. But its just Brown we are talking about. Who looks like he will be 5th choice CB next season. If he left I wouldnt expect to see another CB come in so it doesnt matter about finding a better CB replacement. If brown leaving means we could bring in a player in a more needed position - wide player/forward then its a no brainer.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 am

fred keenor wrote:Id hazard a guess anyone could leave for a nominal fee just to reduce the wage bill.

For success to happen there needs to be a feel good factor around the players, staff and most importantly the supporters.

84/85 followed by another relegation in 85/86.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:34 am

fred keenor wrote:Id hazard a guess anyone could leave for a nominal fee just to reduce the wage bill.

Its not just happening at Cardiff. This is happening at the majority of clubs outside of the prem.

Personally I think it's a shame that its taken a pandemic to force the club to sort out our wage structure and to switch to a drive towards promoting youth.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:39 am

Escott1927 wrote:

Its not just happening at Cardiff. This is happening at the majority of clubs outside of the prem.

Personally I think it's a shame that its taken a pandemic to force the club to sort out our wage structure and to switch to a drive towards promoting youth.

yep...we could have promoted all those youngsters that have left who are now playing welsh league and played there as a team instead of them playing as individuals.... huge saving in travelling too... win win...

maybe your too young to remember all those relegations but they didnt happen because we were buying decent players ..they happened because we had little money and were buying gambles and promoting kids not good enough....

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:56 am

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

If we sold all our players with one year left on their contracts, yea. But its just Brown we are talking about. Who looks like he will be 5th choice CB next season. If he left I wouldnt expect to see another CB come in so it doesnt matter about finding a better CB replacement. If brown leaving means we could bring in a player in a more needed position - wide player/forward then its a no brainer.

i would 100% agree if any fee/ savings would be used to add to the overall squad { not necessarily a CB
} i have no cinfidence it would be.. .... regarding CBs , there was a time last season we had 3 CBs injured...another when we had 2 injured...and Brown also played games covering LB.... add to that McGuiness has no experience at this level , he could be fantastic but could also be this seasons benkovic...

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:19 pm

skidemin wrote:

It's a good point and on first look the answer should be yes but, what happens when you flip that point and ask to they bring value or cost to the club. Our club like many others has pressed the reset button and as most if not ALL of the players out of contract next season will be amongst the highest earners they absolutely add cost. Most if not ALL could be replaced by free agents or low cost additions from the lower leagues, given their higher wages I would say it will be difficult to offload them.

NW knows what Brown, Flint and Morrison are earning and he picks Brown Why? Low wages.

In my opinion the players out of contract next season bring more cost than value and if the club can offload they should do it. This coming season is about survival both on and off the field like it will be for so many clubs and I believe there are many clubs looking to apply Economies of Scale in setting up their squads.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm

We're you pissed :lol:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 pm

If Brown goes we will be getting another CB in ;)

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

yep...we could have promoted all those youngsters that have left who are now playing welsh league and played there as a team instead of them playing as individuals.... huge saving in travelling too... win win...

maybe your too young to remember all those relegations but they didnt happen because we were buying decent players ..they happened because we had little money and were buying gambles and promoting kids not good enough....

Any need for the sarcasm?

The youth setup has been neglected for years. If there was more emphasis on it maybe we would have picked up more players like ralls, bagan and sang etc. Not world beaters but add a lot of value to the squad for a fraction of the cost. We are in the financial position we are in because we have a habit of paying over the odds for average players who are on big wages. A club will be more appealing to a released/scouted academy player if there is clear history of youth being given opportunity for first team football.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 pm

Centre back is an area we can afford to lose a player having brought in McGuiness.

If that frees up a space and some salary to bring in an attacking midfielder... Then I'm all for it.

But Brown did ok last night.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:Centre back is an area we can afford to lose a player having brought in McGuiness.

If that frees up a space and some salary to bring in an attacking midfielder... Then I'm all for it.

But Brown did ok last night.

I agree with pretty much all of that and it wouldn’t be a disaster if Brown went. He wasn’t great last season imo.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:24 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

The youth setup has been neglected for years. If there was more emphasis on it maybe we would have picked up more players like ralls, bagan and sang etc. Not world beaters but add a lot of value to the squad for a fraction of the cost. We are in the financial position we are in because we have a habit of paying over the odds for average players who are on big wages. A club will be more appealing to a released/scouted academy player if there is clear history of youth being given opportunity for first team football.

it wasnt sarcasm ..its where most of our academy players have ended up.... neglected ? seems to mean not thrown in some sort of x factor audition when deemed not good enough... not just not good enough by those experienced professionals in positions to make these decisions at out club but not snapped up by decision makers at other clubs when released...as for the habit of over paying... its kept us as a top end championship club for years not that it is over paying.... thats just opinion.... its always we have overpaid until its time to sell then its the fee was too small and its not unique to us , ALL fans say it...

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:30 pm

castleblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

It's a good point and on first look the answer should be yes but, what happens when you flip that point and ask to they bring value or cost to the club. Our club like many others has pressed the reset button and as most if not ALL of the players out of contract next season will be amongst the highest earners they absolutely add cost. Most if not ALL could be replaced by free agents or low cost additions from the lower leagues, given their higher wages I would say it will be difficult to offload them.

NW knows what Brown, Flint and Morrison are earning and he picks Brown Why? Low wages.

In my opinion the players out of contract next season bring more cost than value and if the club can offload they should do it. This coming season is about survival both on and off the field like it will be for so many clubs and I believe there are many clubs looking to apply Economies of Scale in setting up their squads.

most if not all could be replaced by free agents from the lower leagues.... ?
honestly i cant believe what im reading.... its like championship players at all clubs have found themselves playing at this level purely by luck..... does this extend to the premier league...

and there was me thinking we spiraled down the divisions and became a lower league yoyo club due to lack of investment ...and are now a consistent top end championship club because of investment....

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

it wasnt sarcasm ..its where most of our academy players have ended up.... neglected ? seems to mean not thrown in some sort of x factor audition when deemed not good enough... not just not good enough by those experienced professionals in positions to make these decisions at out club but not snapped up by decision makers at other clubs when released...as for the habit of over paying... its kept us as a top end championship club for years not that it is over paying.... thats just opinion.... its always we have overpaid until its time to sell then its the fee was too small and its not unique to us , ALL fans say it...

You've completely missed the point I was making. I am fully aware of the players that have come through our academy and where they have ended up. And I am not saying they would have gone on to do better if they were played. But there has hardly been a drive to bring in and develop younger players in recent years. We had one of the oldest squads in the league last season. And we have pissed away millions. If we havnt then why do we owe tan so much money, despite two promotions? We received 30odd million last season which is more than most teams do in several seasons. Yet we are no better off than them.

Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:14 am

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

You've completely missed the point I was making. I am fully aware of the players that have come through our academy and where they have ended up. And I am not saying they would have gone on to do better if they were played. But there has hardly been a drive to bring in and develop younger players in recent years. We had one of the oldest squads in the league last season. And we have pissed away millions. If we havnt then why do we owe tan so much money, despite two promotions? We received 30odd million last season which is more than most teams do in several seasons. Yet we are no better off than them.

i havent missed the point at all... other clubs have also had parachute payments and have run through the cash ..thats championship football for you , its not purely a Cardiff City thing.. and the clubs that get promoted ? generally tend to be amongst those spending and wasting { the 2 go hand in hand } the most money... being competitive or trying to be in this division is a money pit, Stoke, Boro , Weds , Derby along with others who have spent far more than ourselves can atest to that..
as for this drive.... wanting young footballers to be better than what they are doesnt work , they do actually have to be good enough . its the same at every level ..been plenty said about our academy but is it the academy failing or just the better boys in the area dont meet championship level ? i think history suggests the later ... because quite simply if we were producing a stream of talent or had ever , i would imagine our national teams history would be far better than what it is...
we have like other clubs had patches where we produce a number in a relatively short space of time and then dont... i have no idea why... what i do know though is that if it were as simple as having a youth drive everyone would be doing it.. and clubs historically would have been made up of mostly locals... and infact we with our very big catchment area should never have ended up in the lower leagues ,let alone spend all that time down there as we would have had enough local talent to prevent that ...i know we didnt have an academy as such but did have youth teams, reserves and scouts but couldnt muster half a dozen quality boys even at that level to drag us up a lge or 2....now all of a sudden we have 8 in one go ..
i too wish we had this talent tree we could pick players off and have a team of locals { like NH said } representing us... but thats never happened and is unlikely to...