Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

So glad Collins turned down that Luton contract

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:26 am

I think he’s gonna be a top player for us this year.

If only to allow Kiefer Moore some rest which will mean we see the best of him a lot more. Moore is a top, top player at this level.

Giles is also gonna be class.

All of a sudden it has a different look to it.

Two class keepers.
Five centre backs who could all do a job.
A marauding right wing back looking the part with one who can step in.
Centre midfield looking functional with options on the bench.
Creativity up top and players who can step in.
Two good championship strikers.

I for one am feeling confident.

Re: So glad Collins turned down that Luton contract

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:38 am

A nice post to see and completely agree with all of it. I don't think things are as doom and gloom as they appeared pre season.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:40 am

maccydee wrote:I think he’s gonna be a top player for us this year.

If only to allow Kiefer Moore some rest which will mean we see the best of him a lot more. Moore is a top, top player at this level.

Two class keepers.

Great post. The only thing I’d love to add is a Barry Bannon type player for midfield. :thumbup:

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:47 am

Agree totally, McCarthy has done wonderful business this summer on a limited budget. Giles is one of the best new signings I have seen at the City. Whatever our seasonal assist record is, I expect him to break it.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:53 am

mjw6150 wrote:Agree totally, McCarthy has done wonderful business this summer on a limited budget. Giles is one of the best new signings I have seen at the City. Whatever our seasonal assist record is, I expect him to break it.

He has a Gary O’Neill or Koumas feel about him.

Lots of time on the ball it seems.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Two class keepers.

Great post. The only thing I’d love to add is a Barry Bannon type player for midfield. :thumbup:

100%. See his goal on the weekend?

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:52 am

maccydee wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Two class keepers.

100%. See his goal on the weekend?

No I didn’t mate. It’s his controlling of a game that I’ve always admired.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:20 am

Two class keepers.

Great post we do have some decent players, I still worry about not replacing Bennett but Began looked better over the last few games fingers crossed on him?

I just worry that we have 18 really good players then a big drop so as the season moves on we fade in the second half due to squad depth, but lets hope we are lucky and don't lose too many!

Also agree on on Collins and especially on Giles he looks brilliant, we've needed a decent delivery for years now we have one and a team that can fully capitalise :thumbup:

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:16 pm

mjw6150 wrote:Agree totally, McCarthy has done wonderful business this summer on a limited budget. Giles is one of the best new signings I have seen at the City. Whatever our seasonal assist record is, I expect him to break it.

I agree with the original poster that Collins will be a favourite. His effort will win over fans, as I'm not sure he's gonna reach double figures this year. I am a fan though.

Agree too Giles is a good signing. However to say MM has done wonderful business this summer, is quite far fetched and sounds like it could have come from Dalman himself.

Time will tell as I always say, but my immediate reaction is that the club has again had another poor period of transfers.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:28 pm

Barclay1 wrote:

I agree with the original poster that Collins will be a favourite. His effort will win over fans, as I'm not sure he's gonna reach double figures this year. I am a fan though.

Agree too Giles is a good signing. However to say MM has done wonderful business this summer, is quite far fetched and sounds like it could have come from Dalman himself.

Time will tell as I always say, but my immediate reaction is that the club has again had another poor period of transfers.

Sorry mate but I have to respectfully disagree
The last two periods of transfers included Ng, Phillips, Collins, McGuiness, Giles.
They don’t all turn out successfully when you’re dealing in the bargain basement but that’s pretty good imo.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Great squad with the budget mick had. Youth getting a chance like most wanted. Looking forward to season after the Blackpool display showed how good we are

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:22 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Sorry mate but I have to respectfully disagree
The last two periods of transfers included Ng, Phillips, Collins, McGuiness, Giles.
They don’t all turn out successfully when you’re dealing in the bargain basement but that’s pretty good imo.

The beauty of opinions of course, nd I do hope you are correct, but I can't see it myself. I realise my lack of confidence in the board to do anything other than keep the heart beating does colour my thinking, but there have been some lucky guesses in my opinion in an attempt to build a team out of nothing.

Can Ng come good?. He has had more good games than bad. Will he be a top Championship player? Phillips admittedly a very good keeper. Jury still out on McGuiness, but, as much as I worry, others are quite excited by it.

Let's see what happens. A win tomorrow will keep the douvters at bay. Blimey, Top 6 by end of Sept,and even I might crack a smile :lol: :thumbup:

Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:18 pm

Very good post and nothing to add, you've got it spot on :thumbright:

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:34 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Very good post and nothing to add, you've got it spot on :thumbright:

My mate is a wolves fan reckons we could sign Giles permanently.

I think there’s a few plus points for the committee lately with some of the transfers.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 pm

maccydee wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Very good post and nothing to add, you've got it spot on :thumbright:

My mate is a wolves fan reckons we could sign Giles permanently.

I think there’s a few plus points for the committee lately with some of the transfers.

If we did bring him in permanently, it would be a brilliant signing.

They've made mistakes, nobody can deny that. But the signings of Collins, Giles and McGuinness are very clever business.

Also, don't forget about Wintle. I keep hearing good things about him, not just from those who saw him in League One but also from several people around the club who have seen him in training. I think Mick has already suggested that he will be more and more used as the season goes on. From what I've heard, he could be a crucial signing for us.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:25 am

carrying on the convo about recent signings, i think Ng is about as solid as they come to be honest. it seems like no one ever talks about him, and thats not a bad thing, not spectacular but consistent, a good signing.

collins looks ok, i do wonder if we will ever see him and moore up top together, collins seems to like to drift, i wouldnt rule it out completely though it probably means a change in tactics, playing three in the middle and moving Giles to LWB

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:51 am

City got in their quick and he should at least get 14 plus goals in the league :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:11 am

paulh_85 wrote:carrying on the convo about recent signings, i think Ng is about as solid as they come to be honest. it seems like no one ever talks about him, and thats not a bad thing, not spectacular but consistent, a good signing.

collins looks ok, i do wonder if we will ever see him and moore up top together, collins seems to like to drift, i wouldnt rule it out completely though it probably means a change in tactics, playing three in the middle and moving Giles to LWB

I think moving forward two up top at home has to be considered.

We struggle to impose at home unless we get an early goal.

Thinking back to last season and the amazing run we went on Murphy, Harris or Ojo were practically part of a front two with Moore.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:38 am

Luton Fans I know have nothing but praise for Collins as they rose through the leagues, they loved his commitment and said he was perfect for the lower leagues. They were quite sad to see him go.

James Collins 31 years old this year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Luton Fans I know have nothing but praise for Collins as they rose through the leagues, they loved his commitment and said he was perfect for the lower leagues. They were quite sad to see him go.

Has a Stant like attitude :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:06 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Luton Fans I know have nothing but praise for Collins as they rose through the leagues, they loved his commitment and said he was perfect for the lower leagues. They were quite sad to see him go.

I wonder how Stant would have done had he played regularly at a higher level

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:34 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Stant was special , I will await my verdict :lol:

I think James Collins might struggle to score goals this season, really hope I am wrong for us and him.

You don’t usually get free great or even good goal scorers at this Level , in fact it’s like finding the biggest gem of the season if we have .

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:07 pm

:thumbup:

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:51 am

Collins to slow to catch a cold.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 am

Collins runs his socks off although I still think we have an average championship team and can't see past mid table but let's hope I'm wrong. :bluescarf:

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:06 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:Collins runs his socks off although I still think we have an average championship team and can't see past mid table but let's hope I'm wrong. :bluescarf:

Mate, Collins gives everything, its just weve got him now when he is past his sell by date, what do we expect for nothing, you get what you pay for.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:12 am

Two class keepers.

Your confident, good news :lol:

Shall we stick to Collins, hes finished, belongs in league one or two, he was nothing so thats why he is here, dont bullshit

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:47 am

Look forward to 15 goals from Collins if he is such a good signing :thumbright:

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:11 am

Always City wrote:

Two class keepers.

Your confident, good news :lol:

Shall we stick to Collins, hes finished, belongs in league one or two, he was nothing so thats why he is here, dont bullshit

I mean he has scored 24 goals last two seasons at championship level. Not bad that. Playing for a struggling team too.

More than 900k Kenny Miller scored for us. In fact more than any striker scored for us in the seasons we went up.

But hey, why not just be critical for no reason at all with nothing to support it?

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:12 am

Loyal Blue wrote:Look forward to 15 goals from Collins if he is such a good signing :thumbright:

Well he scored 24 last two seasons at championship so you never know.

However, I think he has been signed as a back up to our 20 goal a season striker to let him rest when he needs it.

Oh by the way in just over 3mths time 31 yrs old, but age is not always the down fall it’s whether good enough.