Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Isaac Vassell "

Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:11 am

Vassell - pleasing to see him get another 90 minutes under his belt for the under-23s?

"Yeah it was great. The more 90 minutes’ Isaac can get, the better it is for him and for us. I’m delighted for him because I’ve seen lads before who’ve had long term injuries and it’s been 2 years since he had a full 90 minutes. That’s just dreadful for a footballer that just wants to play and wants to be fit.

So it’s great for him. I’m delighted. And for us, he’s quite clearly a very good player."

Mick McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Isaac Vassell "

Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:21 am

Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy admits he's delighted to see Isaac Vassell take such a significant step towards first team contention this week, and admits he's faced something of a "counselling job".

Vassell emerged unscathed for the under-23s against Wigan Athletic, playing a full 90 minutes for the second time in a week, having previously not managed a full game in around two years.

Saturday's clash with Millwall will be too soon for the striker, but it seems only a matter of time before he's knocking on the door, much to the delight of the Bluebirds boss.

"The more 90 minutes Isaac can get, the better it is for him and for us," he said on Friday.

"I’m delighted for him because I’ve seen lads before who’ve had long-term injuries and it’s been two years since he had a full 90 minutes. That’s just dreadful for a footballer that just wants to play and wants to be fit.

"So it’s great for him. I’m delighted. And for us, he’s quite clearly a very good player."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:23 am

MICK McCARTHY:

"The management of players is very important," McCarthy said.

"Recognising the ones that do need it, it’s like a counselling job at times. I’ve been saying to him, we know he can play. There’s no doubt about his ability. He’s just got to get fit and get minutes and stay on the pitch. The more he does that, the longer he does that, the better it is for him.

"If you’re coming back and you’re not fully fit, your touch is not there, your finish is not there, and you can’t run as hard, or as fast. You get annoyed with yourself that you’re not playing to your ability.

"I’ve been at pains to say to him that it happens to everyone, every pre-season when they come back. So, if you can imagine missing two years, you just get your fitness back, get your strength back, get back to where you were and if you manage to do that, we’ve got a really good player."

McCarthy has no fresh concerns heading into Saturday's clash with Millwall, but Lee Tomlin and Isaak Davies are still seemingly some way away from first team contention.

"Tommo was poorly earlier on in the week so I’ve not seen him. I’m not sure if he’s in this morning [Friday]. I’ve not seen him.

"Isaak is just doing rehab and will hopefully be back soon."

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:06 am

Give him 1 game to show other clubs how good he is - and then accept the first offer that comes in.
There are lots of more deserving players ahead of him in the pecking order.

His playing career can be defined as the short periods he had inbetween being injured. For him to take a wage has denied another kid an opportunity of a contract.

I hope he proves us all wrong and has the season of his life - but time and history seem to be pointing otherwise.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:58 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Give him 1 game to show other clubs how good he is - and then accept the first offer that comes in.
There are lots of more deserving players ahead of him in the pecking order.

His playing career can be defined as the short periods he had inbetween being injured. For him to take a wage has denied another kid an opportunity of a contract.

I hope he proves us all wrong and has the season of his life - but time and history seem to be pointing otherwise.

plays a game for the under 23s and then offers come in..... your on a wind up ...

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:08 pm

What I meant was a league game - he can show the world he is fit and can find the back of the net - rather than the back of the physio room......

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:35 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:What I meant was a league game - he can show the world he is fit and can find the back of the net - rather than the back of the physio room......

nobody is going to sign him after the 2 years both he and football have just had...why would they take on the contract of a player who has spent the best part of 2 seasons injured whose existing contract was signed at pre covid rates when there are so many out of contract players out there who would be cheaper... ?
reality is after 2 years out he will be fortunate to get near his pre injury levels... what ever we get out of him will be a bonus and he will most likely end up finding employment further down the pyramid next June...
hope im wrong and there is a bounce back but its a long time not playing....