Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

millwall away 1970s

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:46 pm

the old guy at work mentioned that millwall away in 1975 was the most scared he'd ever been at an away game with cardiff.

do any of you older people on this forum have any stories from the old den in the 1970s?

Re: millwall away 1970s

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:53 pm

blue note wrote:the old guy at work mentioned that millwall away in 1975 was the most scared he'd ever been at an away game with cardiff.

do any of you older people on this forum have any stories from the old den in the 1970s?

Been to the old Den twice, about 78, 79 period. Went just after they played Ipswich town in an FA cup game and they went mental. Shit hole of a place, like being in a war zone I thought…

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:52 pm

blue note wrote:the old guy at work mentioned that millwall away in 1975 was the most scared he'd ever been at an away game with cardiff.

Never went there but a mate of mine went on the Barry bus in the 70's - no shrinking violets themselves at the time - and i remember him telling me he got chased onto a housing estate where an old lady opened the door, beckoned him in and made him a cup of tea while it all died down!

Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:09 pm

I went there a couple of times in the late 70s.

We parked in the same housing estate and never came across any trouble. The first time we went there was a film crew there and they got a load of crap from the Millwall fans. They hated the media I found out later and blamed them for stirring up the trouble. i found that difficult to believe put they certainly showed there disapproval to the press.

The cops didn't fair any better to them and they look for interested in taking them on than any away support. Some bloke called Harry killed a cop and he became an icon for them.

Tbh I saw more trouble at Cardiff with the Wall than at their place.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:27 pm

If you speak to the right people who went to millwall in the 70s you will find that Cardiff faired very well there

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:30 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:If you speak to the right people who went to millwall in the 70s you will find that Cardiff faired very well there

Probably because you’d have to be raving nuts to go to the old den in the 70s. We had a few who fitted quite well into that category.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:57 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:If you speak to the right people who went to millwall in the 70s you will find that Cardiff faired very well there

that was not my experience of going there....we generally had a real tough time of it and the 75 game mentioned above the majority of our fans had been driven out of the ground by half time..

Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:36 pm

I went to the old Den in the Seventies it was an intimidating place but you have To remember we had a right mob at most away games I always thought Upton Park was a lot worse than Millwall and the old bill didn’t seem to care there, would disappear as you got near the ground knowing they would be waiting outside the Boleyn. Great days shine up your docs and get your Harrington on, no cameras and cash on the gate.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:04 am

skidemin wrote:

that was not my experience of going there....we generally had a real tough time of it and the 75 game mentioned above the majority of our fans had been driven out of the ground by half time..

I know one lad who I speak to regular from those days and the 75 game he told me quite a few stories about that day as the above posts said you had to be as bad has them and a lot of the lads where the lad I speak to his in his sixties know and enjoying retirement from work the Barry lads mentioned in the above posts a few of them have passed away know but I think this is only my opinion but they where one of the best mobs ever to follow city

Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:29 am

i agree .you always had a chance of survival if the BARRY BOYS were there.I remember a game at West brom coming out of ground looking quite dodgy and they quickly revived the situation into one of safety .in those days there were very few games you felt relaxed away from home. :old: :bluebird:

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:38 am

cardiff 74 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I know one lad who I speak to regular from those days and the 75 game he told me quite a few stories about that day as the above posts said you had to be as bad has them and a lot of the lads where the lad I speak to his in his sixties know and enjoying retirement from work the Barry lads mentioned in the above posts a few of them have passed away know but I think this is only my opinion but they where one of the best mobs ever to follow city

you know one lad ? .. im not a liar mate. i was there, and there was no giving as good as we got or we were as bad as they were about it...... the honest truth is we were surrounded and hugely outnumbered and Millwall kept charging and charging the double police cordon pushing us into a smaller and smaller area into a corner , those that tried to climb into the main stand were met with equally hostile Millwall ST holders so failed until eventually we were out the back of the away end ..all of us , not that there were many because a lot of our fans were not prepared to go to Millwall as well you know it was thousands to fulham, charlton, palace even chelsea but always just a few hundred to the den { it did change years later } ...ffs out of the ground at half time , our 3 coaches which had originally been parked at the rear of the away end having to pick up at the local police station where many had taken refuge....and people that did not go { you were not the only one to miss that one though } pretending it was not that bad and somehow we held our own....

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Probably no more than a few hundred in 74/75 , remember Adar glass having to go to the police station after the game as one lad had been stabbed not far from getting off the bus.
Even sat in the grand stand I’m sure every millwall fan was watching for city fans!
Very little to shout about , I’m sure we lost 5 1

Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:06 pm

skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

you know one lad ? .. im not a liar mate. i was there, and there was no giving as good as we got or we were as bad as they were about it...... the honest truth is we were surrounded and hugely outnumbered and Millwall kept charging and charging the double police cordon pushing us into a smaller and smaller area into a corner , those that tried to climb into the main stand were met with equally hostile Millwall ST holders so failed until eventually we were out the back of the away end ..all of us , not that there were many because a lot of our fans were not prepared to go to Millwall as well you know it was thousands to fulham, charlton, palace even chelsea but always just a few hundred to the den { it did change years later } ...ffs out of the ground at half time , our 3 coaches which had originally been parked at the rear of the away end having to pick up at the local police station where many had taken refuge....and people that did not go { you were not the only one to miss that one though } pretending it was not that bad and somehow we held our own....

My first visit there in 77 we were out of the ground or certainly off the terracing not much later than half time. 2 - 300 of squeezed into a tiny section at the back of the terrace. It was completely bonkers. The thinnest of blue lines and Peg leg with his walking stick ,the only thing between us and a terrible fate. We ended up in some no mans land behind the main stand. A few lads decided they wanted to completely get out over some 4m high iron gates, as they reached the top some Millwall appeared on the other side. All but one manged to quickly come back down on our side. The remaining lad was left impaled on the top of the fence, caught by his cloths I think. It was the year some nutter ran on the pitch and hit Phil Dwyer, but my abiding memory of the game will always be Robin Friday. He actually stopped playing the game and was standing behind the by line watching all the aggro on the terrace.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:44 pm

skidemin wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

nobody calling you a liar mate you’r experience is you’re experience my cousin got nicked in millwall but I know that the guy who I know told me they gave as good as they got he’s from Barry and he travelled with them and those Barry lads where always up for it

Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 pm

I was there 75 or 77 we hadn't won away for yonks when Brian Clark popped up to put as 1 up,we got batterd after that,lasted until half time and decided to leg it managed to get outside the ground to be met by a mob who again kicked shit out of me,the problem was they had moved the bus to f knows where so I just jumped on a London double decker bus and got off at Marble arch,got on the underground to Paddington, by the way I think I only had a fiver in my pocket got on a train to Birmingham and if my memory serves me right there was a couple of City fans who had done the same thing, changed train at Birmingham caught train to Newport from Birmingham got off train at Abergavenny and thumbed a lift to Rhymney with 2 Asian doctors who were going to work in Prince Charles hospital the following day
Ps I was never asked or bought a ticket in all them journeys.