Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Joe Bennett “

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Warnock makes contact with another ex-Cardiff City star as he mulls over offers

Neil Warnock has seemingly not ended his raid on his old club, having made contact with another of his trusted ex-players

Football insider

23/08/21

Former Cardiff City full-back Joe Bennett is the subject of transfer interest at his old club Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough are one of a number of clubs to have made contact over signing free agent Joe Bennett.

The left back departed the Bluebirds this summer after he and the club failed to reach an agreement over a contract extension, the original offer was withdrawn after Bennett suffered an injury whilst playing for the Bluebirds.

Cardiff have had a duty of care to aid Bennett on his road to rehabilitation, after he underwent surgery on his knee following a nasty ACL tear back in March, and the player has been working his way back to full fitness by training with the squad in recent months.

Indeed, the 31-year-old is now understood to be back to full fitness after posting a video of himself in full-contact training with Cardiff on Monday morning.

Bennett has logged much of his recovery through social media.

Frequent videos and photos of him training with City's squad prompted many supporters to think, or hope, that another contract offer would be tabled at some point.

Bennett would of loved to have stayed at Cardiff but since his injury, Cardiff have not offered Bennett anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Joe Bennett “

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:05 am

Bennett turned down Fulham to stay with us not so long ago. The club is a disgrace the way they are treating him.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:30 am

Why are the club a disgrace? They offered him a new contract a few months ago ,which he turned down

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:33 am

Blueberry Jam wrote:Bennett turned down Fulham to stay with us not so long ago. The club is a disgrace the way they are treating him.

Baffled how some can accuse our club of being a disgrace...

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:45 am

boyo1927 wrote:
Blueberry Jam wrote:Bennett turned down Fulham to stay with us not so long ago. The club is a disgrace the way they are treating him.

I’m not baffled because some seem to enjoy it.

The club offered him a new contract within its budget restrictions and he turned it down.
The issue was to do with the length of contract more than the salary.

While I’d love to resign him as I don’t think Bagen is ready yet I can’t see it happening.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:55 am

Weather or not you think Bagan is ready yet doesn’t matter at all. He’s now out first choice left back and if anyone is brought in with experience then he will lose that valuable game time and exposure at Championship level.

I like most wanted Bennett to stay. But he knows Warnock will throw silly wages and a three year deal at him.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:04 am

Rhyswilli3303 wrote:Weather or not you think Bagan is ready yet doesn’t matter at all. He’s now out first choice left back and if anyone is brought in with experience then he will lose that valuable game time and exposure at Championship level.

I like most wanted Bennett to stay. But he knows Warnock will throw silly wages and a three year deal at him.

First of all, Warnock hasn't got the money to (quote) "throw" at him, which is why he didn't get Keiron Brown (Sol was out of contract, just as Bennett is)

Secondly, whilst I believe Bagan will make the grade and is learning fast, Mick McCarthy cannot carry passengers in his 'system', so the argument for 'experience' can always be made

It's a fine balance; but one the manager has to get right

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 am

Sven wrote:
Rhyswilli3303 wrote:Weather or not you think Bagan is ready yet doesn’t matter at all. He’s now out first choice left back and if anyone is brought in with experience then he will lose that valuable game time and exposure at Championship level.

First of all, Warnock hasn't got the money to (quote) "throw" at him, which is why he didn't get Keiron Brown (Sol was out of contract, just as Bennett is)

Secondly, whilst I believe Bagan will make the grade and is learning fast, Mick McCarthy cannot carry passengers in his 'system', so the argument for 'experience' can always be made

It's a fine balance; but one the manager has to get right

I’m happy that Bagan is getting the game time he needs to quicken his development. Bennett was our best player before he got injured, at then out season went off the rails completely. I just wish certain people at the club would ‘wake up’

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:21 am

Bennet turned his new contract down. Then he got injured tough luck for him.

The club did everything right ( even looking after him through rehab) .

Let’s be honest Bennet was prone to be vulnerable his last season with us. No great loss in my eyes.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

The club offered him a new contract within its budget restrictions and he turned it down.

While I’d love to resign him as I don’t think Bagen is ready yet I can’t see it happening.

well Joe is going to end up somewhere and where ever that is , it will be because that club has offered him a better deal than we have.... not great when our chairman has gone on record as saying he thinks JB the best in his position in this division....

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:01 am

skidemin wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

well Joe is going to end up somewhere and where ever that is , it will be because that club has offered him a better deal than we have.... not great when our chairman has gone on record as saying he thinks JB the best in his position in this division....

Do you actually read this Forum...? :?

JOE REJECTED THE CONTRACT OFFERED, as was his right and the club decided they didn't want to go back with another offer

Negotiations over and to be fair to the club, they have been there to assist his rehabilitation, which will now benefit another club

I'm with OriginalGrangeEndBlue on the Bagan point; he's not the finished article but I have faith he will grow with experience/exposure he is now getting

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am

Nonsense, a great plyer but we can't give him a blank cheque and charge what he wants!

We've treated him well and with respect, but we can't agree a new contract so he's free to go where he want's :thumbup:

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:24 am

The club have been great with Bennett and have helped him get over his injury, bennet turned down City’s offer and if he didn't get injured would of been off to another club ,

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:47 am

wez1927 wrote:

The club have been great with Bennett and have helped him get over his injury, bennet turned down City’s offer and if he didn't get injured would of been off to another club ,

Exactly as I see it and Cardiff City have completely respected the "Duty Of Care" that they had to Joe Bennett, now the situation is back to where Joe had turned down a new contract offer and Cardiff have had to plan for life without him. It's now down to his agent to find him a new club, and I'm sure he will get offers, but as far as Cardiff is concerned it's thanks for everything Joe and best wishes for the future.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:15 pm

wez1927 wrote:

People are treating this as Gospel as well, we all know Warnock has a great big list and grabs what he can. He was supposed to have wanted players from us and offered peanuts. There is also a rumour Warnock wants Jake Bidwell from Swansea value at £2.5 and Warnock has allegedly offered £120K.

He could well be letting the agent know he's considering another target Bennett, so just using him to buy another player, who knows?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Reply Twitter :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Reply Twitter:

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

JOE REJECTED THE CONTRACT OFFERED, as was his right and the club decided they didn't want to go back with another offer

Negotiations over and to be fair to the club, they have been there to assist his rehabilitation, which will now benefit another club

I'm with OriginalGrangeEndBlue on the Bagan point; he's not the finished article but I have faith he will grow with experience/exposure he is now getting

your with originalgrangeendblue .....who .like me ...would love to resign joe...... :laughing5: :laughing5:
no lecture about not reading the board ....no capital letters... :?

anyway what has reading the board have to do with Joe still being offered a contract....things can change you know ?
you probably dont...never mind...

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:19 pm

skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

your with originalgrangeendblue .....who .like me ...would love to resign joe...... :laughing5: :laughing5:

anyway what has reading the board have to do with Joe still being offered a contract....things can change you know ?

Is that the best you can come up with...? :?

What you didn't mention is that Joe turned the club's offer down and insinuated it was the club's fault, which it wasn't. They had a value on him, "best in the Championship" or not and it wasn't acceptable to Joe...

His (sad) injury only complicated the situation and without it, it would have been all done and dusted by now...

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

Is that the best you can come up with...? :?

What you didn't mention is that Joe turned the club's offer down and insinuated it was the club's fault, which it wasn't. They had a value on him, "best in the Championship" or not and it wasn't acceptable to Joe...

His (sad) injury only complicated the situation and without it, it would have been all done and dusted by now...

no i didnt mention because everyone knows he turned down the original offer....and everyone knows he got injured....and everyone knows what mick has said.... none of that alters what i said in anyway..

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:30 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Correct.
This blueberry jam poster must be trolling here because surely nobody can be that thick?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:32 pm

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:

This answer is correct and factual but some still want to twist things for arguments sake by the looks mate.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:23 pm

Would have liked him to stay for another year as he was pivotal to our good run when Mick took over and when he was out injured coincided with our awful run of results. Anyway good luck on his next adventure wherever it may be. Ps how is it a transfer if he's a free agent??? Just asking!

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:30 pm

We do not need him. Not sure why he is still being talked about. Time to move on.