Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Will Vaulks

Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:11 pm

Poor game yesterday, but I will back the guy.

During Harris 1st Season, he formed a good midfield understanding with Bacuna when Ralls was injured. He really did nothing wrong, and yet a lot last season and so far this season, he almost become the forgotten man.

He's seen himself been overtaken by kids with MM, lets say, being 'encouraged' by the board to play youngsters, not seemingly that keen on him.

While he's got to be professional and ready, he's gotta be undeniably frustrated not to be able to get Into a poor Cardiff City team.

Re: Will Vaulks

Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Poor game yesterday, but I will back the guy.

During Harris 1st Season, he formed a good midfield understanding with Bacuna when Ralls was injured. He really did nothing wrong, and yet a lot last season and so far this season, he almost become the forgotten man.

He's seen himself been overtaken by kids with MM, lets say, being 'encouraged' by the board to play youngsters, not seemingly that keen on him.

While he's got to be professional and ready, he's gotta be undeniably frustrated not to be able to get Into a poor Cardiff City team.

Maybe, just maybe, MM doesnt see enough from him in training??
The youngsters have to be tested at some point, snd most have done ok, but vaulks will have to get his head down, and force micks hand.
And considering we are "a poor team" we doing ok so far, but its early days,a few young lads have tasted 1st team life, now lets hope it gives them the extra drive to succeed.CCFC.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:10 am

Don’t forget he came on last game of the season and got sent off within about a minute of coming on

Was suspended for the first game of this season and we haven’t lost since

He’ll get his chance but will have to wait for it I assume

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:25 am

Bellamys barmy army wrote:Don’t forget he came on last game of the season and got sent off within about a minute of coming on

Was suspended for the first game of this season and we haven’t lost since

He’ll get his chance but will have to wait for it I assume

How dare you see a positive by 'thinking it out' when the OP wants to be negative... :roll:

Shame on you...! :thumbright: :laughing6: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:48 am

‘Poor Cardiff City team’? We will be singing ‘We are top of the league’ by 1:30pm on Saturday.
How is that for optimism?

Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:11 pm

Vaulks was awful against Brighton and in my view is not good enough to be in the squad. He played like a liability on Tuesday and I hope we get another midfielder in if Brown goes in this window.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:04 am

What a load of rubbish. Baffling that you call it a poor team.

Just forgetting for a minute that we have eight points from our first four games and are unbeaten in the league..

I'll try and unpick this piece by piece, so it's simple enough for you to understand.

Let's work on the assumption that we will continue to play with five at the back or three at the back (whatever you want to call it), as more and more teams are doing in recent years.

Then let's say this is our most regular team in the league so far this season:

Phillips
Ng
Flint
Morrison
Nelson
Bagan
Ralls
Pack
Bacuna
Giles
Moore

I've included Moore because he would have played most of the games if he had been match fit, which he now is. That's why he started against Millwall and will start against Bristol City.

Obviously we wouldn't have Vaulks playing in the back five.

He's also not a wide player or natural attacking player so that rules out the position occupied by Giles. It also rules out Bacuna's place in the team, as Bacuna has also played in this position for Curaçao consistently.

Obviously we know he's not a striker either, which rules out Moore's place.

So, in reality, there are just two spots in the team where he could play - to replace either Pack or Ralls.

Pack has been brilliant so far this season, the comments from everyone on here after every match prove that. He can also do a long throw, as Vaulks can, which is one reason taken away to start Vaulks. I would say that, along with Flint and Giles, one of our best players so far has been Marlon Pack.

Ralls has had a decent, if not spectacular, start to the season. He has been steady in midfield alongside Pack, and done his job well.

There is absolutely no reason to replace either of them at this point.

Vaulks will get his chance when there's a dip in form from either of those two or injuries and suspensions. The same goes for Wintle - who's not leaving on loan by the way.

But, as you put in your original post, Vaulks was given a chance to impress on Tuesday night in a cup game.

He could have used that opportunity to say "this is why you should be starting me, Mick".

But he didn't and had a poor game.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:23 am

Fairness, I cannot disagree with your findings.

As always however we agree that we prefer different players. I've admitted he was poor Tuesday,but when both play at their best I would have Vaulks over Ralls.

If we were able to pick our best team throughout the season with a guarantee of no Injuries, I'd go as far as to say we would be top 6 at the end of the season.

I think his ommission from the Wales team has hit his performances of late, but as I say, I would have him in over Ralls if both were performing.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:07 am

Barclay1 wrote:Fairness, I cannot disagree with your findings.

As always however we agree that we prefer different players. I've admitted he was poor Tuesday,but when both play at their best I would have Vaulks over Ralls.

If we were able to pick our best team throughout the season with a guarantee of no Injuries, I'd go as far as to say we would be top 6 at the end of the season.

I think his ommission from the Wales team has hit his performances of late, but as I say, I would have him in over Ralls if both were performing.

Agree, at least Vaulks looks to affect the game, Ralls is too passive and gets overrun.