Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TLG: “ 6,013 “

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:21 pm

Interesting from Dave Sugarman aka TLG

TLG:

Cardiff City v Brighton

Have Cardiff City ever had a smaller crowd against top-flight opposition in any competition than the 6,013 attendance against Brighton & Hove Albion? Not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the answer. However, I'd be very surprised if any competitive game against a team from the top division has ever attracted a smaller home crowd.

Some other EFL Cup crowds :

20.090 - Norwich City v Bournemouth
10,769 - Nottingham, Forest v Wolves
10,459 - Huddersfield v Everton
7,973 - Sheffield Utd v Derby County
7,491 - Swansea City v Plymouth
6,193 - Stoke City v Doncaster
6,013- Cardiff City v Brighton

Re: TLG: “ 6,013 “

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:31 pm

TLG:

I've been through the record books this morning and City have indeed had lower crowds for games against top flight opposition on no less than three occasions - all in the League Cup and all in the the Eighties.

Incredibly, in a competition that has been running for more than 60 years, City have only faced top division opponents at home on 16 occasions, and only three times since the turn of the millennium. That says plenty about the club's feeble efforts in the League Cup over the years.

The crowds for each of the 16 home games against top flight opposition were as follows:

12,200 v Burnley (1960/61)
14,315 v West Ham (1965/66)
30,109 v West Ham (1971/72)
8,775 v Burnley (1973/74)
23,618 v QPR (1976/77)
9,698 v Everton (1979/80)
11,632 v Arsenal (1982/83)
4,425 v Norwich (1983/84)
4,607 v Watford (1984/85)
8,018 v Chelsea (1986/87)
2,629 v QPR (1988/89)
9,041 v Southampton (1995/96)
7,613 v Wimbledon (1999/00)
13,555 v Portsmouth (2004/05)
19,436 v Blackburn (2011/12)
6,013 v Brighton (2021/22)

In the Eighties, the League Cup was still a two-legged affair. In 1988/89, City went into the second leg against QPR already 0-3 down. Just 2,629 turned up to see another 1-4 defeat at Ninian Park. Alan Curtis scored the Cardiff goal.

It says plenty for the club's recent performances in the League Cup and the general perception of the competition that some apparently regard 6,013 as a 'good' crowd.....

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:34 pm

TLG:

Back in November 2011, City had three home games in just over a week. The attendances were:

22,556 v Nottingham Forest (Championship)
19,436 v Blackburn (Carling Cup)
22,010 v Birmingham (Championship)

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:23 pm

I think I remember going to that Wimbledon game and standing on the grange end which at that time was uncovered and a full one end of terracing . About 15 of their fans in block A. Think we lost the game and can recall Hartson playing for them .

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:04 pm

northside of risca wrote:I think I remember going to that Wimbledon game and standing on the grange end which at that time was uncovered and a full one end of terracing . About 15 of their fans in block A. Think we lost the game and can recall Hartson playing for them .

8k at that one ,I remember it well good atmosphere, hartson took some right abuse

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 pm

I was at most (not all) of those games mentioned by Forever Blue, inc. the lowest 2629 v QPR in 88/89

I can't ever recall a decent assault on that (rather than the FA) cup in my time, except for the year we mearly/should have won it against Liverpool under Malky

Cups were once a massive part of the season

Who else recalls the full FA Cup days where there was a complete programme of related events in (best of all) 'It's a Knockout' between supporters of both finalist teams

Loved it but it's all lost a lit of its sparkle as the game becomes consumed by financial calculations, i.e. surviving in the Premier League or getting promoted to it at all costs... :(

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:10 pm

That 7,491 figure for Swansea includes a lot of Free NHS tickets the club sent out to registered NHS staff / fans too.

I think the cup prestige has gone tbh, especially at earlier rounds. Clubs may as well charge ST holders a 5er each and give a load out free / discounted to mini and junior clubs...at leazt in rounds 1 and 2.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:27 pm

Sven wrote:I was at most (not all) of those games mentioned by Forever Blue, inc. the lowest 2629 v QPR in 88/89

I can't ever recall a decent assault on that (rather than the FA) cup in my time, except for the year we mearly/should have won it against Liverpool under Malky

Who else recalls the full FA Cup days where there was a complete programme of related events in (best of all) 'It's a Knockout' between supporters of both finalist teams

Loved it but it's all lost a lit of its sparkle as the game becomes consumed by financial calculations, i.e. surviving in the Premier League or getting promoted to it at all costs... :(

Your spot on Chris. I remember when the FA Cup was a national event, especially when I was a kid. The BBC used to programme it from the build up on Saturday morning right through to the main event and then also on MOTD later, with as you say many related events and interesting features. It was special. After the match itself it was straight down to the park en masse where we would pick teams and play the final all over again, several times until it was time to watch it again on MOTD. It lasted all day. Commercial priorities have killed something that was quite magical which is a great shame.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:41 pm

Yes, and it’s enjoyable watching the Big Match. The football may be less, but it just looks like a bunch of people enjoying sport.
Without too much advertising, comment, analysis, politics etc.. this modern game has scoffed itself.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:17 am

rumpo kid wrote:Yes, and it’s enjoyable watching the Big Match. The football may be less, but it just looks like a bunch of people enjoying sport.
Without too much advertising, comment, analysis, politics etc.. this modern game has scoffed itself.

its a strange one....football has never been as popular... record crowds record tv audiences...more money pouring into the game.. but im with you in that it was far more enjoyable back in the day......

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:51 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:
Sven wrote:I was at most (not all) of those games mentioned by Forever Blue, inc. the lowest 2629 v QPR in 88/89

Your spot on Chris. I remember when the FA Cup was a national event, especially when I was a kid. The BBC used to programme it from the build up on Saturday morning right through to the main event and then also on MOTD later, with as you say many related events and interesting features. It was special. After the match itself it was straight down to the park en masse where we would pick teams and play the final all over again, several times until it was time to watch it again on MOTD. It lasted all day. Commercial priorities have killed something that was quite magical which is a great shame.

The interest and TV coverage back then was phenomenal. Both BBC and ITV would begin coverage around 10.30am right through to the game. They would have cameras outside the respective team's hotels and each player in the starting lineup would have in-depth character analysis - they'd even go as far back as to interview their junior school PE teachers!

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:51 am

When teams left their hotel en route to Wembley, ITV would have their cameras on one coach, the BBC on the other.
Always remember being impressed by the 'executive' coaches. It meant they had tables and small frilly table lamps on them.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:05 am

I think there still a fair amount of interest in the cups in the latter stages. Problem is you got 6/7 teams who can make 7/8 changes and still beat most premier league teams never mind championship teams.
I think it's why you see the likes of Newcastle and Burnley fielding 2nd string teams because they simply know they can't compete.