Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Cooper

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Now I am fully expecting a backlash here but going to put it out there anyway. I would love to cut ties with McCarthy now, not saying he is doing a bad job in terms of results overall but it is the dullest most stale football I can recall and there is no Plan B. We have a good group of young players that will be wasted playing like this and will move on. Whilst Swansea will say Cooper played some awful football I don't think it was as bad as what we see here plus he would have the target man in Moore that he lacked down West. He is younger, his old man was a Bluebird and Swansea fans hate him.....it would be a match made in heaven for me and reckon he would do a great job here.

Re: Steve Cooper

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:27 pm

CantonStandBob wrote:Now I am fully expecting a backlash here but going to put it out there anyway. I would love to cut ties with McCarthy now, not saying he is doing a bad job in terms of results overall but it is the dullest most stale football I can recall and there is no Plan B. We have a good group of young players that will be wasted playing like this and will move on. Whilst Swansea will say Cooper played some awful football I don't think it was as bad as what we see here plus he would have the target man in Moore that he lacked down West. He is younger, his old man was a Bluebird and Swansea fans hate him.....it would be a match made in heaven for me and reckon he would do a great job here.

He wanted cash to improve Swansea and was told no so he left. That sort of gives my answer.plus he’d insist on playing a certain way and we haven’t got the players for that.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:35 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:Now I am fully expecting a backlash here but going to put it out there anyway. I would love to cut ties with McCarthy now, not saying he is doing a bad job in terms of results overall but it is the dullest most stale football I can recall and there is no Plan B. We have a good group of young players that will be wasted playing like this and will move on. Whilst Swansea will say Cooper played some awful football I don't think it was as bad as what we see here plus he would have the target man in Moore that he lacked down West. He is younger, his old man was a Bluebird and Swansea fans hate him.....it would be a match made in heaven for me and reckon he would do a great job here.

He wanted cash to improve Swansea and was told no so he left. That sort of gives my answer.plus he’d insist on playing a certain way and we haven’t got the players for that.

I think our players are better footballers than our current style suggests. And I also think Tan would give him more backing than the Americans did. The issue there was the deluded fans hated him and he must have known it. His loan signings and actual signings for them were spot on and all on a crazy low budget.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:42 pm

CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I think our players are better footballers than our current style suggests. And I also think Tan would give him more backing than the Americans did. The issue there was the deluded fans hated him and he must have known it. His loan signings and actual signings for them were spot on and all on a crazy low budget.

Difficult to argue with that, so I won't... :thumbup:

Some good points and I have to say I wouldn't be averse to Steve Cooper coming here at some point

He impressed at an over-achieving Swansea and their loss could be our gain...

He might have been a 'Jack' but he's a Bluebird, like his dad at heart and I'm not sure he'd get a backlash from this end of the M4 from too many

Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:01 pm

could be a decent call.. unfortunately our Board seem to prefer Managers from the Cretaceous period.

Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:32 pm

rumpo kid wrote:could be a decent call.. unfortunately our Board seem to prefer Managers from the Cretaceous period.

My understanding (unconfirmed) is Mick was originally recommended as the initial replacement for Neil Warnock; by uhm, Neil Warnock... ;)

Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 pm

It’s almost as if someone has told Tan that the support still wear hob-nail boots and race pigeons..

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:31 am

not so sure on that call, have friends who are seances season ticket holders, said football was awful under Cooper, that he was a weak manager and were glad when he left.
Tine will tell with him , but not for me.
Nothing wrong with the likes of Warnock and McCarthy..I trust their knowledge ... far better than us so called supporters .

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:09 am

rumpo kid wrote:It’s almost as if someone has told Tan that the support still wear hob-nail boots and race pigeons..

That's justvthe Tylorstown boys...! ;) :laughing6:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:27 am

Sven wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Some good points and I have to say I wouldn't be averse to Steve Cooper coming here at some point

He might have been a 'Jack' but he's a Bluebird, like his dad at heart and I'm not sure he'd get a backlash from this end of the M4 from too many

we need Tan and his meddling board gone first, then maybe someone like Cooper could do what they are paid for, manage!

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:52 am

arri potta wrote:
Sven wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

we need Tan and his meddling board gone first, then maybe someone like Cooper could do what they are paid for, manage!

Too right. Who would you choose out of the potential buyers that have shown an interest?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:08 am

sorry Keith but he was not very good and the football was not just as bad as here it was worse

if only he had KM...ffs he had a string of strikers including one on 80k a week.....
truth is he brought in top end loan signings to paper over the cracks..a ploy that is now exhausted , so having to rely on and manage what he had built over the last 2 years decided the dole was a better option..

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Bonner wrote:not so sure on that call, have friends who are seances season ticket holders, said football was awful under Cooper, that he was a weak manager and were glad when he left.
Tine will tell with him , but not for me.
Nothing wrong with the likes of Warnock and McCarthy..I trust their knowledge ... far better than us so called supporters .

Them lot are just deluded though. Look on Twitter, they’re loving Russell Martin and singing his praises - I don’t think they understand that you can pass all you want you still need to win the game

Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:42 pm

Sven wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:It’s almost as if someone has told Tan that the support still wear hob-nail boots and race pigeons..

That's justvthe Tylorstown boys...! ;) :laughing6:

Thought that lot still wore silver Docs..

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:59 pm

I think people are forgetting why Mick was brought in as last season we were going down to league 1 with harris losing all the time at the bottom of the table and Mick was brought in to save us and thankfully he did save us.

He is a solid manager old fashioned but can I also remind everyone we lost 1 game a bit hard to take against the worzels but we are not close to relegation so keep away from the panic button for now

Cooper will want money and tan wont so forget it

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I think people are forgetting why Mick was brought in as last season we were going down to league 1 with harris losing all the time at the bottom of the table and Mick was brought in to save us and thankfully he did save us.

He is a solid manager old fashioned but can I also remind everyone we lost 1 game a bit hard to take against the worzels but we are not close to relegation so keep away from the panic button for now

Cooper will want money and tan wont so forget it

Yeah agreed and he has done well, but we should have started afresh this summer. His record really isn't bad and we could be far worse off I agree but can you see him developing the kids coming through because I can't. Just playing them isn't developing them, they are being coached in to a really dull style whilst all the feedback from players like Colwill and others is that they are really talented players. My concern is they end up elsewhere and develop and we end up stuck with the Bacuna style deadwood but grind out results to just hover in the Championship.
And I do think Tan would back him, not to the levels of Fulham etc but Tan has been a good owner overall. He is the one who has been let down by poor signings.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Sven wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:could be a decent call.. unfortunately our Board seem to prefer Managers from the Cretaceous period.

My understanding (unconfirmed) is Mick was originally recommended as the initial replacement for Neil Warnock; by uhm, Neil Warnock... ;)

Wasn't it Warnock who also supposedly suggested Neil Harris as his eventual replacement just before he "left" the club?

His ability to spot a decent manager seems to have gone the same way as his ability to sign a decent player.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:54 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
arri potta wrote:
Sven wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Too right. Who would you choose out of the potential buyers that have shown an interest?

I think we should wine and dine that bloke from Jersey who was interested a few years ago when Ridsdale was here- he seemed like a genuine sort of bloke :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:17 pm

If cooper had waited a while longer he would have got the job after warnock but I was at the Liberty when they beat us and when the final whistle went he went running over to the fans banging his hand on the Swansea badge I thought at the time you done the wrong thing there no going back you’re a jack know .if I’m honest before we signed mm it was someone like cooper I wanted to manage us young new ideas looking to the next five years I was a bit deflated when we eventually signed mm but overall I think he’s done a good job .if we went in for cooper could I overlook what he did at the Liberty I probably could because at the end of the day the jacks didnt like him anyway even though he did a good job for them

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:30 am

davids wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
arri potta wrote:
Sven wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

I think we should wine and dine that bloke from Jersey who was interested a few years ago when Ridsdale was here- he seemed like a genuine sort of bloke :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes I remember him!!!

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:34 am

arri potta wrote:
Sven wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Is that the ‘meddling’ that is keeping the club afloat, otherwise what ‘meddling’ do you have any evidence of?

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:18 am

Blue78 wrote:
arri potta wrote:
Sven wrote:
CantonStandBob wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Is that the ‘meddling’ that is keeping the club afloat, otherwise what ‘meddling’ do you have any evidence of?

He’s either meddling and a dictator or not interested.

Depends what agenda is being pursued at the time.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:29 am

MM is doing a fine job but if he did leave I think Cooper would be a great choice and would definitely come.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 am

Swansea fans will tell you he was a crap Manager with good contacts, which are fading as the distance between him being an England under 18 Manager grows.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:44 am

skidemin wrote:

sorry Keith but he was not very good and the football was not just as bad as here it was worse

if only he had KM...ffs he had a string of strikers including one on 80k a week.....
truth is he brought in top end loan signings to paper over the cracks..a ploy that is now exhausted , so having to rely on and manage what he had built over the last 2 years decided the dole was a better option..

Spot on :thumbup: