Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tell you what city need

Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:48 am

Watching the highlights of all of the league games this morning it struck me that city could really do with a maverick kind of player. Someone with a bit of skill,pace and flair. Someone to get the crowd on their feet and even get people though the turnstiles. A younger, faster and fitter version of Tomlin. We have no X factor and looking at the bench yesterday, while there are some good players, there isn't anyone who can come on and get the fans excited.

Sadly we have has successive managers who's approach is safety and defence first.. which isn't working as our defence is packed and we still look sloppy and slow.

Goodness city, we need an injection of excitement.

Re: Tell you what city need

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:Watching the highlights of all of the league games this morning it struck me that city could really do with a maverick kind of player. Someone with a bit of skill,pace and flair. Someone to get the crowd on their feet and even get people though the turnstiles. A younger, faster and fitter version of Tomlin. We have no X factor and looking at the bench yesterday, while there are some good players, there isn't anyone who can come on and get the fans excited.

Sadly we have has successive managers who's approach is safety and defence first.. which isn't working as our defence is packed and we still look sloppy and slow.

:thumbup: Agree 100 per cent.
I still think it should be possible to get a tune out of Tomlin. When on form, he is skillful and exciting. Same goes for Murphy. But most of all we need a manager who encourages our players to pass and move in a high tempo game. That would get bums on seats.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:58 am

that's easy:

1. new owner
2. new board
3. new back 4
4. new midfield

that should do it!

morrison and flint looked like park players yesterday

full backs were slower than the bars serving beer

ralls, pack, bacuna are the worst midfielders in the championship, in fact bacuna is not even a footballer, he's shit - worst i have seen since 1977 and that's saying something

pack looked like he was scared to upset his bristol chums in their support, felt like harris against swansea - can't upset my chums

giles needs to go elsewhere, he's a revelation but this club will ruin him.

and moore needs to put in a transfer request and get away, he's wasted playing for us, get yourself a better club kid.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:01 am

I totally agree. We need a magician who can score goals from midfield and make things happen. We haven't got a Plan B, we just try to score from crosses and set pieces. We need to get the ball down and start playing through the middle more. We give away possession way too cheaply trying to do the same thing over and over again. Teams will suss this out and we'll become to predictable.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:45 am

Be lucky to get an exciting player as they will be going to more progressive team... but what we need is a complete change direction when it comes to managers style of play we need a manager who's forward thinking in way we play but is that possible with our fickle fans? If this forum is anything to go by he'll have little chance unless he wins games from tg beginning.. now we have put in youngsters next manager would be perfect opportunity as older players like Morrison ect can be phased out with players more comfortable in playing out from back something we cannot do with any degree of success simply because got couple defenders that cannot do it or couple of midfielders the same.
And tbh getting that kind manager is not that hard as despite what some think we are a good acquisition for any manager.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:00 am

pembroke allan wrote:Be lucky to get an exciting player as they will be going to more progressive team... but what we need is a complete change direction when it comes to managers style of play we need a manager who's forward thinking in way we play but is that possible with our fickle fans? If this forum is anything to go by he'll have little chance unless he wins games from tg beginning.. now we have put in youngsters next manager would be perfect opportunity as older players like Morrison ect can be phased out with players more comfortable in playing out from back something we cannot do with any degree of success simply because got couple defenders that cannot do it or couple of midfielders the same.
And tbh getting that kind manager is not that hard as despite what some think we are a good acquisition for any manager.

Couldn't disagree more. A team plays to its strengths trying to get players to do something they are not comfortable with is a recipe for failure.

We are a direct team and not a Barcelona circa 2011 possession based side.

We might need an exciting playmaker but that could be said of every other Championship side and frankly we aren't going to get one anytime soon.

However, I would agree that playing Leandro Bacuna in the role of playmaker is a total waste of time.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:10 am

we need a proper budget and decent squad.....

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:30 am

What we need is an attack minded manager…
:downtown:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:31 am

skidemin wrote:we need a proper budget and decent squad.....

What is a proper budget? We are losing £1m per month so how much more should we lose?

Oh BTW don't forget profit and sustainability rules (aka Financial Fair Play) which limit losses to £13m per season/year.

If as reported we are losing £1m per month that takes us precariously close to that limit.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:35 am

A new owner, board, squad and a clean slate.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:36 am

Ketteringblues wrote:What we need is an attack minded manager…

We have scored 9 goals in 5 games not a bad return from a so called defensive minded team/manager.

Personally I think we have a problem with our defence which consistently concedes avoidable goals

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:37 am

We need to stop playing 5 defenders at home.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:47 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
skidemin wrote:we need a proper budget and decent squad.....

What is a proper budget? We are losing £1m per month so how much more should we lose?

Oh BTW don't forget profit and sustainability rules (aka Financial Fair Play) which limit losses to £13m per season/year.

If as reported we are losing £1m per month that takes us precariously close to that limit.

my post was a reply to the header..... yep we can only afford what we can afford .... but to be challenging i will stick with what my reply was this squad lacks quality all over and has no depth.... its not about magical formations

Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:56 am

Part of the problem is we have defenders who are better in the opponents area than our own.
We don’t defend well enough when the ball is on the floor .

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:33 pm

How we could do with a Jason Koumas

Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:11 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:A new owner, board, squad and a clean slate.

You forgot manager, coaches, scouts & seats. Is there anything you actually like about Cardiff City? Maybe Swansea would suit you better.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:59 pm

We have scored 9 goals in 5 games not a bad return from a so called defensive minded team/manager.

Personally I think we have a problem with our defence which consistently concedes avoidable goals

We do have problem conceding silly goals but had that for several years even before mick... I've pointed out we were top 4 in goals scored last season and 2nd season before but it's being defensive minded in games we could win that is the problem? drawing far to many games stopping us being in top 6 just like last season.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Judging by the spoilt nature of our fans I think we could do with some new fans personally. Although a kaunas would be nice too.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:52 pm

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:Judging by the spoilt nature of our fans I think we could do with some new fans personally. Although a kaunas would be nice too.

Couldn’t agree more.

First 15 yesterday we passed it about confidently. They scored and that was that. No more passing as you could hear the fans on the players’ backs.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:02 pm

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:Judging by the spoilt nature of our fans I think we could do with some new fans personally. Although a kaunas would be nice too.

Koumas.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:05 pm

arri potta wrote:that's easy:

1. new owner
2. new board
3. new back 4
4. new midfield

that should do it!

morrison and flint looked like park players yesterday

full backs were slower than the bars serving beer

ralls, pack, bacuna are the worst midfielders in the championship, in fact bacuna is not even a footballer, he's shit - worst i have seen since 1977 and that's saying something

pack looked like he was scared to upset his bristol chums in their support, felt like harris against swansea - can't upset my chums

giles needs to go elsewhere, he's a revelation but this club will ruin him.

and moore needs to put in a transfer request and get away, he's wasted playing for us, get yourself a better club kid.

What the f**k is this?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Our midfield in 85 under Durban was worse.. Meacock, Gummer, Marustik bless his soul.
Even top scorer Nigel Vaughan was indifferent, and we still had Tong and Tarki in the squad.. that was a bad time.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:07 am

pembroke allan wrote:

We do have problem conceding silly goals but had that for several years even before mick... I've pointed out we were top 4 in goals scored last season and 2nd season before but it's being defensive minded in games we could win that is the problem? drawing far to many games stopping us being in top 6 just like last season.

We draw so many games because of the number of times we concede stupid goals and have to play catch up. Like at Peterborough for example, we stupidly go 2-0 down so when we fight back to 2-2 it seems like a good result.

What we need to do is cut out giving cheap goals away and start scoring first and use that as a spring board to go on and win games.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:39 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:Watching the highlights of all of the league games this morning it struck me that city could really do with a maverick kind of player. Someone with a bit of skill,pace and flair. Someone to get the crowd on their feet and even get people though the turnstiles. A younger, faster and fitter version of Tomlin. We have no X factor and looking at the bench yesterday, while there are some good players, there isn't anyone who can come on and get the fans excited.

I don't wish to be rude but this is stating the bleedin' obvious. Us oldies have been harking back to Ian Gibson, Koumas, O'Neill and the like for many moons but without money to spend and having a manager who does not seem to value this type of player, there is no point in daydreaming about it.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:06 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:

I don't wish to be rude but this is stating the bleedin' obvious. Us oldies have been harking back to Ian Gibson, Koumas, O'Neill and the like for many moons but without money to spend and having a manager who does not seem to value this type of player, there is no point in daydreaming about it.

I'm also an oldie who remembers those players.

We actually need a lot of things at city but realistically we are stuck with Mick for a while.... So getting in a loan flair player is something he could and should do in the next 24 hours.

He won't though and that's the frustration.

I understand our defence is also poor but even when it's functioning, we still lack the ball players to be serious about promotion this season.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:29 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:

I'm also an oldie who remembers those players.

We actually need a lot of things at city but realistically we are stuck with Mick for a while.... So getting in a loan flair player is something he could and should do in the next 24 hours.

He won't though and that's the frustration.

I understand our defence is also poor but even when it's functioning, we still lack the ball players to be serious about promotion this season.

I mean we have Giles who is that sort of player.

We were lucky to get him really.

Players like that don’t grow on trees and certainly won’t be loaned out.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:42 pm

Maybe it's a sign of the times but nowadays there seems to be a lack of players who in days gone by used to be referred to as midfield generals or schemers. We used to have quite a few such players on our books like Gibson, Carlin, Kavanagh, Scimeca etc. I wouldn't say they were ten a penny but there did seem to be more around than there are today.

Perhaps more emphasis is now put on players having a collective responsibility to dictate the tempo of a game, rather than leave it up to one talented individual.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:03 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:Maybe it's a sign of the times but nowadays there seems to be a lack of players who in days gone by used to be referred to as midfield generals or schemers. We used to have quite a few such players on our books like Gibson, Carlin, Kavanagh, Scimeca etc. I wouldn't say they were ten a penny but there did seem to be more around than there are today.

Perhaps more emphasis is now put on players having a collective responsibility to dictate the tempo of a game, rather than leave it up to one talented individual.

All great points.

The way we play doesn't lend itself to flair players.

Take Harry Wilson. Wonderful player but dare i say we didn't get the best out of him at city. Look at how he has started at Fulham. Amazing really.

Perhaps Colwill and Giles would shine even more IF we retained possession better and were better at passing... Our successful pass rate as a team is really really poor. Whatever happens that surely has to improve.

Maybe then players like Murphy can be that X factor we have been missing.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:56 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:Maybe it's a sign of the times but nowadays there seems to be a lack of players who in days gone by used to be referred to as midfield generals or schemers. We used to have quite a few such players on our books like Gibson, Carlin, Kavanagh, Scimeca etc. I wouldn't say they were ten a penny but there did seem to be more around than there are today.

All great points.

The way we play doesn't lend itself to flair players.

Take Harry Wilson. Wonderful player but dare i say we didn't get the best out of him at city. Look at how he has started at Fulham. Amazing really.

Perhaps Colwill and Giles would shine even more IF we retained possession better and were better at passing... Our successful pass rate as a team is really really poor. Whatever happens that surely has to improve.

Maybe then players like Murphy can be that X factor we have been missing.

Don't get me started on our passing ability, such as it is !

In my eyes the bare minimum a professional footballer should be able to do is control a football, pass a football and be able to move into a position on the pitch to receive a pass.

The fact that our team has such great difficulty in ticking any of these boxes fills me with despair.

Great players can make the above skills look easy, even decent ones can at times but why do our lot play like they've never been coached in the basics.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:50 am

100% we need a creative midfielder. This has been a problem for years now. But we always sign the likes of pack, vaulks etc etc.

We replaced Ojo with Giles out wide which looks to be a great move but we have no replaced Wilson (we're basically playing Bacuna in his place) and we're going to pay for it big time.