Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Honest Assessment CCFC / Cut any bullshit

Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:51 am

Honest Assessment If What We Are :

(1) Cut any bullshit - we are a “Set Piece” team first and foremost. The formidable Morrison , Flint and Moore combination is a lethal threat to any side.

They can all readily score directly , or create a knockdown or cause havoc for others to score.

They are also effective in defending set pieces. You never feel scared when we are defending set pieces. Warnock advanced it and Harris went with it.

What was McCarthy to do?

With no money to buy or no high wages to attract better freebies he has tied to develop it enhance it further.

I think McCarthy is also getting a little frustrated with no backing at all and that’s why he now has changed his mind and said we have no quality out there yesterday.

“Set Piece” team does not mean “long ball” team. We do not specifically have pace and we play more football than Warnock did . We do hit long balls but this is not our base.

(2) Take that out and we become a very average team.

A- On the deck we are pretty average and the better teams can get the better of us if they run at us - especially against our defence.

B- Our passing and crossing is average.

C- Pace in our team as a whole is average.

D- The youngsters in our team have yet to shine or stand out - but it is still early days. There is some hope that one or two may make it.

E- Ask yourself : “WHO OF OUR TEAM WILL SHINE IN THE PREMIERE LEAGUE “? This is the the question - which shows where and what we are.

(3) I believe that Fulham and WBA stand out - but one club might squeeze in.

Apart from that - after 5 games , the table is starting to take shape and - now- any team up to 14th can make the playoffs.

That is where we belong.

(4) We have to be realistic and honest. We have no money to spare ! We can not buy , we can not pay high wages , we have to trim wages and if we sell probably we can not use all the proceeds to buy anyone - not even freebies on high wages.

Unless we manage to reach the PL - the high earners will go and their replacements will at best be average earners.

Our near future market is freebies , players with potential (PL rejects , loanees or from lower leagues) and those from our youth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Honest Assessment CCFC / Cut any bullshit

Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:53 am

Updated:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:09 am

That's about on target all that.

The only person who can change all that is Tan and we should all know that by now he is not going to do that. He is happy to remain where we are providing we are sustainable. Problem is I'm hearing we are not sustainable where we are relying on a cash input of £1m from him. If that is true then we are in for more cuts wherever they will be.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:25 am

Reply FB:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 am

Bakedalasker wrote:That's about on target all that.

The only person who can change all that is Tan and we should all know that by now he is not going to do that. He is happy to remain where we are providing we are sustainable. Problem is I'm hearing we are not sustainable where we are relying on a cash input of £1m from him. If that is true then we are in for more cuts wherever they will be.

Your sadly bang on Ian.

And yes I warned before the season started we are in for a very wide awakening and it’s not good.
The cuts will get bigger and bigger.

We still have some very good players and some quality and a few excellent youngsters. We need to build on them not cut back or clubs like Fulham and WBA will leave us far behind before even Xmas.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:33 am

Yep, I would agree with most of that

The youngsters have all shown glimpses of promise and I thought Colwill looked decent yesterday

As much as I admire Warnock the problems we are in now stems from the dross he brought in when we were relegated..if he had kept the relegated squad together and added 1/2 quality players instead of 4/5 mediocre players we would have gone straight back up

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:33 am

Reply FB:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:37 am

Reply Twitter:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:38 am

Reply Twitter:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:40 am

Reply Twitter:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:00 am

shit back 4 and shite midfield, it's not rocket science - relegation fodder

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:29 am

Im firmly sticking to My thoughts I wrote in the thread "predictions for the season" on the 28th of July.
We are a lower mid table outfit as things stand, and any more cutbacks, with no strengthening or improving, then the writing is firmly on the wall,,, relegation material. Ive seen nothing in the last three home league games to encourage me that this season is going to be anything other than a long hard struggle. MM has now admitted that the team lacks "quality"???
No shit Mick,,,,, that's been obvious from the end of last season. What we have is a mixed bag of hard working players, that can run around a pitch for 90 odd minutes, and that's about it.

Like I said, and more importantly, what Mick McCarthy said yesterday, we lack quality, but gave everything. The quality we lack runs right through the team, especially in midfield (this problem has persisted for many seasons now) and in defence.

As we all know, the Championship is a very tough and competitive league, and I fear that the "giving everything" part is not going to be enough. I hope I'm wrong, and let's see where we are after 10 or 12 games, but the signs are not good at the moment.

Footballs All about opinions,,, and this is my honest opinion, and Assessment as things currently stand.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:33 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:Im firmly sticking to My thoughts I wrote in the thread "predictions for the season" on the 28th of July.
We are a lower mid table outfit as things stand, and any more cutbacks, with no strengthening or improving, then the writing is firmly on the wall,,, relegation material. Ive seen nothing in the last three home league games to encourage me that this season is going to be anything other than a long hard struggle. MM has now admitted that the team lacks "quality"???
No shit Mick,,,,, that's been obvious from the end of last season. What we have is a mixed bag of hard working players, that can run around a pitch for 90 odd minutes, and that's about it.

Like I said, and more importantly, what Mick McCarthy said yesterday, we lack quality, but gave everything. The quality we lack runs right through the team, especially in midfield (this problem has persisted for many seasons now) and in defence.

As we all know, the Championship is a very tough and competitive league, and I fear that the "giving everything" part is not going to be enough. I hope I'm wrong, and let's see where we are after 10 or 12 games, but the signs are not good at the moment.

Footballs All about opinions,,, and this is my honest opinion, and Assessment as things currently stand.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:38 am

Id be more worried about next season.
Smithies,Flint,Morrison,Pack,Ralls,Tomlin,Murphy,Vaulks all out of contract.
Experienced pros which will need to be replaced.
Could be taken as an opportunity but my opinion is VT will use to again cut the cloth accordingly with freebies.
Worrying, very worrying times.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:46 am

We lost at home to a bitter rival and we are all hurting. As a club we are in shit street but we are in a division where the vast majority of teams are also in shit street to a greater degree.

Yesterday was one of those games. We should have scored early when we were dominant but we didn't they did against the run of play. They then went on to steal a win. We will do the same to other teams as the season goes on.

I would agree that the left hand side is a problem but there is more to it than just blaming Joel Bagen.

I'm still optimistic we'll end up around the top 6.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 am

fred keenor wrote:Id be more worried about next season.
Could be taken as an opportunity but my opinion is VT will use to again cut the cloth accordingly with freebies.

thats' great news, can we show a few more the door?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 am

fred keenor wrote:Id be more worried about next season.

This pertinent fact has not been lost with myself, and the worrying thing is what division we are playing in, this time next year?

I accept that this season is all about survival, cost control and consolidation,,, and as mentioned in the past, a reset.

The objective this season is to retain our Championship status, on as tight a budget as possible, however, If we drop a division then I expect all those out of contract, plus a few more,, to leave,,, and that will force a massive "Reset",,,, in every sense of the word.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:59 am

Reply Twitter:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 pm

As a results business MM has done a pretty good job but as a style of play we are quite poor.We need to be going for the jugular at teams at home.
I think we will finish in the top ten but with a more positive attitude definitely top six.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Take out set pieces and we would be in trouble?

Ffs clowns all over the shop.

If we had goals at one end only one time could score goals.

Which is similar to what he is saying.

Some of the people on your Facebook Annis are absolute morons.

After the Millwall game we were quite happy. 8 points from 4 games. We seemed solid. Strong bench. One loss shouldn’t take all the positivity away.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:40 pm

I think we are going to finish around mid table at best this season. We are hard to beat but we lack a match win in player in our team, I think the defence is ageing and if by some miracle we got promoted our current central defence would be ripped to pieces.
Midfield is an issue and has been for a few seasons all the players are to similar, we need a midfielder who can boss midfield ( like scimeca, oloifinjana(sp) did and another creative midfielder. Ralls is our best midfielder by far but he’s just above average and if you were to compare him to some past midfield we had under Dave Jones for example he wouldn’t get a look in.

Strikers are hard to judge as we have lacked service to them for many seasons

Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:33 pm

We are only 1 pont outside the playoffs and under big mick only lost 4 games ,some people on here need to give there heads a wobble ffs .we will be challenging fir the play offs all season and thats fine by me .

Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:07 pm

wez1927 wrote:We are only 1 pont outside the playoffs and under big mick only lost 4 games ,some people on here need to give there heads a wobble ffs .we will be challenging fir the play offs all season and thats fine by me .

Wez,

Read my assessment I thinks it’s it’s honest and fair.

But as to only one defeat, we have played some of the weakest teams in my opinion.

I think with this current squad 14th this season depends if we strengthen to go higher.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:42 pm

darran1927 wrote:I think we are going to finish around mid table at best this season. We are hard to beat but we lack a match winner player in our team, I think the defence is ageing and if by some miracle we got promoted our current central defence would be ripped to pieces.
Midfield is an issue and has been for a few seasons all the players are to similar, we need a midfielder who can boss midfield like scimeca, oloifinjana(sp) did and another creative midfielder. Ralls is our best midfielder by far but he’s just above average and if you were to compare him to some past midfield we had under Dave Jones for example he wouldn’t get a look in.

Strikers are hard to judge as we have lacked service to them for many seasons

Should point out I’m not a fan of the style of play but can’t sack a manager after 1st defeat. Even if we sacked him and got a manager that plays a more attractive style this season I don’t think it would work. In order to change style of play we would need them in place at end of season so has whole summer to rejig the squad

Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:41 pm

I think IMO Cardiff lack a lot of creativity which has shown yesterday. MM should have made the changes upon us drawing level . The board are obviously not budging on bringing in new faces which shows they’re desire not to take the club forward which is to the prem and stay there next time around . I feel we desperately need a creative player to play the number 10 role behind Kieffer and Mr Tomlin will be unlikely to feature much this season .

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:13 pm

Poor result and performance yesterday.

But I do think people are getting a little carried away. We've lost one out of five league games with two wins and two draws. That puts us one point outside the top six very early on.

People may say we've played teams that aren't fancied to do well, but nobody knows how each team will do. Who at this point last season has Barnsley to be in the play-offs?

I saw some on here saying they'd bet their house on us drawing with Millwall, but they then went missing when we beat them.

It is so early still and we have made a solid, if not spectacular start.

Absolutely right though that you can't blame the manager. He was given next to nothing to spend.

He has made good signings in Giles, McGuinness and Collins. People will moan about Collins, but they'd also moan if we hadn't brought in a back-up to Moore. Collins was the best we could do with the lack of a transfer budget.

The young players have come in and done well. Last season, loads of people wanted Mick to play the young players. Now they're complaining that we're playing them too much.. Not much that Mick can do to appease those fans it seems.

Bottom line is that there's no legitimate reason to be concerned about how we've done so far.

But if people want to moan about performances all the time, or even performances that even happened yet, that's fine. That's their prerogative.

I do think some people on here seem to have an agenda where they want us to fail, just so they can say they were right with what they all said before the season started.

But what is unacceptable is people using phrases like "Mick the prick".

He is doing his job the best he can and there's absolutely no need to call him things like that, whatever you think of him.

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Poor result and performance yesterday.

But I do think people are getting a little carried away. We've lost one out of five league games with two wins and two draws. That puts us one point outside the top six very early on.

People may say we've played teams that aren't fancied to do well, but nobody knows how each team will do. Who at this point last season has Barnsley to be in the play-offs?

I saw some on here saying they'd bet their house on us drawing with Millwall, but they then went missing when we beat them.

Absolutely right though that you can't blame the manager. He was given next to nothing to spend.

He has made good signings in Giles, McGuinness and Collins. People will moan about Collins, but they'd also moan if we hadn't brought in a back-up to Moore. Collins was the best we could do with the lack of a transfer budget.

The young players have come in and done well. Last season, loads of people wanted Mick to play the young players. Now they're complaining that we're playing them too much.. Not much that Mick can do to appease those fans it seems.

Bottom line is that there's no legitimate reason to be concerned about how we've done so far.

But if people want to moan about performances all the time, or even performances that even happened yet, that's fine. That's their prerogative.

I do think some people on here seem to have an agenda where they want us to fail, just so they can say they were right with what they all said before the season started.

He is doing his job the best he can and there's absolutely no need to call him things like that, whatever you think of him.

FYI Mick the prick is something me and my mate (both season ticket holders) have called him for years. Because the way he comes across. Nothing against Mick the Prick….

We don’t all live on Twitter pretending to be a football pundit. :geek: :shock:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:50 pm

Rhyswilli3303 wrote:

FYI Mick the prick is something me and my mate (both season ticket holders) have called him for years. Because the way he comes across. Nothing against Mick the Prick….

It's derogatory and you know it is, don't pretend otherwise.

Many people know I'm not a huge fan of Warnock but I've never called him Colin, because that would also be unnecessarily derogatory.

f*cking hell, I didn't realise having an opinion on things made me want to be a pundit :lol:

But thanks because by making a personal comment again, you've sort of proved my point :thumbright:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:58 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Rhyswilli3303 wrote:

It's derogatory and you know it is, don't pretend otherwise.

Many people know I'm not a huge fan of Warnock but I've never called him Colin, because that would also be unnecessarily derogatory.

f*cking hell, I didn't realise having an opinion on things made me want to be a pundit :lol:

But thanks because by making a personal comment again, you've sort of proved my point :thumbright:

Cheers Dits 8-)

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 am

They all go up for set piece throw ins etc and then when it doesnt come off and they break Morrison, Flint are like two lame camels getting back. Apart from Nelson who has a bit of pace we get caught out :banghead: :bluebird: