Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ That’s the way to do it £10 Million “

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:16 am

League one Rotherham and a very small club slap a £10Million price on their striker :thumbright:

And he only scored 10 goals last season in the Championship.

Rotherham United slap £10m price tag on 'irreplaceable' Cardiff City target as manager attempts to ward off suitors

The Bluebirds were linked with a move for the striker over the weekend but the Millers boss has spoken out to ward off potential suitors

Monday 30th August 2021

Rotherham United manager Paul Warne has warned off potential suitors by slapping a £10m price tag on reported Cardiff City target Michael Smith.

The Millers striker was reported to be of some interest to the Bluebirds over the weekend, with Cardiff seemingly getting their ducks in a row should Kieffer Moore depart in the final throes of the window.

Cardiff boss Mick McCarthy was on the EFL podcast this week and claimed he would not be sitting around concerning himself about the potential exit of Moore, who is thought to be attracting interest of Premier League side Wolves.

However, he is not naïve enough to allow Moore to depart without having contingency plans in place.

He said on the pod: "I don't sit at home and worry about it, we just get the recruitment guys out to get our lists out that we've looked at on players just in case."

If reports over the weekend are to be believed, Smith is one of the players on the list which has been drawn up by the Bluebirds.

The 29-year-old striker has just one year left on his current contract at the New York Stadium, and has emerged as a key player for the Millers, having netted 10 times in the Championship last season.

He was also on target over the weekend, bagging a brace in the 2-0 win over League One rivals Doncaster Rovers.

Smith has already been heavily linked with a move to the second tier in this window, with Bristol City and Middlesbrough previously mentioned as possible suitors, although our colleagues at Bristol Live now understand that he's no longer on the Robins' radar.

And Millers boss Warne was pretty strident in his view that it would take a pretty hefty fee to prise away the striker before Tuesday's 11pm deadline.

"It would take pretty colossal offer for us to get rid of him," Warne told the Rotherham Advertiser. "It's the owner who will decide. If you ask me what Smudge is worth to me, I'd say £10m. He's irreplaceable for me as a manager.

“Our board are behind me and they want to keep him and hopefully he helps us go straight back up, but if a club is willing to pay a £10 million, then we would not stand in his way.

"A striker who wins headers, hold up the ball, scores goals and works hard is a good asset for any club. But you'll do very well to take him off us."

Warne also revealed he held talks with the striker about interest from Championship clubs.

"I have spoken to him about it," Warne added. "I've told him it would take a pretty impressive offer for us to sell.

"If he gets a move fitting for him and it's good for the club, I'll be buzzing for him, and he knows that. He enjoys playing football here. I'd be naïve to think other people don't like him."

Smith was under the watchful eye of many scouts last weekend when he turned in a man-of-the-match performance in the Millers' win over Doncaster.

That in itself, Warne said, will only ramp up the interest in his player.

"My only fear is this: if people came today to watch him as the last tick of the box - 'If we all like him then we're doing it' - then that box was ticked," Warne said.

"I don't think anyone was there for that. I haven't had a call from one manager who wants to sign him.

"But if they did come today, they're not going to leave thinking: 'He's not for us.'"

Cardiff are, however, unlikely to go in for Smith if Moore remains at the club.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ That’s the way to do it £10 Million “

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:23 am

Exactly how a club should handle transfer targets. Good for Rotherham I say.

Swansea too put over inflated prices on their youngsters and invariably get more than the market value.

How much of a price have we put on Moore....?

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:30 am

Barclay1 wrote:Exactly how a club should handle transfer targets. Good for Rotherham I say.

Swansea too put over inflated prices on their youngsters and invariably get more than the market value.

£12.33 and a packet of Spangles.

Sell on clause of a further two packets of wet wipes and some dog biscuits.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:44 am

Barclay1 wrote:Exactly how a club should handle transfer targets. Good for Rotherham I say.

Have to agree. A £10m price tag doesn’t mean they’ll get anywhere near that but what city should do is slap a £18m price tag on KM but only when they need to. That way we’d hopefully get around 12-15.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:44 am

Thank god for that otherwise we’d be stuck with another player not good enough for the championship and then lose millions when they get rid in two years time.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:47 am

Ridiculous price tag for a 29 year old striker in the current climate who only scored 10 goals in the championship last season and has less than 12 months remaining of his contract.

Bit of gamesmanship going on here from the manager - he knows how important he is to the side so trying to price teams budding for him.

Be interesting to see if he does get sold and if so for what - I can’t imagine it will be anywhere near the figure quoted by Warne

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Dobbin wrote:Ridiculous price tag for a 29 year old striker in the current climate who only scored 10 goals in the championship last season and has less than 12 months remaining of his contract.

Bit of gamesmanship going on here from the manager - he knows how important he is to the side so trying to price teams budding for him.

Be interesting to see if he does get sold and if so for what - I can’t imagine it will be anywhere near the figure quoted by Warne

Doesn't mean F.A.mate as anyone on here that knows football will tell you and theres one on this thread that clearly doesn't.If he goes to anyone in this window it'll be for an undisclosed fee(prob less than 1 mill)

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:22 pm

The 29-year-old striker has just one year left on his current contract.He could be signed on a pre contract in January for nothing.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:24 pm

Dobbin wrote:Ridiculous price tag for a 29 year old striker in the current climate who only scored 10 goals in the championship last season and has less than 12 months remaining of his contract.

Dobbins,

But well done little Rotherham on putting such a massive price tag on him :thumbright:

Always do everything to keep your best players :thumbright:

Let’s see if they hold on to him and if so good on them :thumbright:

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Slap a £10 million price tag on him and then sell him for about £350,000

Laughable comments which nobody will take seriously

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:01 pm

So its the manager who teckons £10m, not the club!!

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:20 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Slap a £10 million price tag on him and then sell him for about £350,000

Laughable comments which nobody will take seriously

That’s our board not Rotherham :lol:

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Millers boss Warne was pretty strident in his view that it would take a pretty hefty fee to prise away the striker before Tuesday's 11pm deadline.

"It would take pretty colossal offer for us to get rid of him," Warne told the Rotherham Advertiser. "It's the owner who will decide. If you ask me what Smudge is worth to me, I'd say £10m. He's irreplaceable for me as a manager.

"A striker who wins headers, hold up the ball, scores goals and works hard is a good asset for any club. But you'll do very well to take him off us."

Warne also revealed he held talks with the striker about interest from Championship clubs.

"I have spoken to him about it," Warne added. "I've told him it would take a pretty impressive offer for us to sell.

“Our board are behind me and they want to keep him and hopefully he helps us go straight back up, but if a club is willing to pay a £10 million, then we would not stand in his way.

"If he gets a move fitting for him and it's good for the club, I'll be buzzing for him, and he knows that. He enjoys playing football here. I'd be naïve to think other people don't like him."

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:Millers boss Warne was pretty strident in his view that it would take a pretty hefty fee to prise away the striker before Tuesday's 11pm deadline.

Ill say it again, it is the manager, not "the club" suggesting this figure, such as ours has said "if a big offer cones in" etc etc, has no real bearing on what the "real" selling price may be, just lets suitors know early on, he eont be going on the cheap! Any manager worth his salt, would say similar??

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:44 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Millers boss Warne was pretty strident in his view that it would take a pretty hefty fee to prise away the striker before Tuesday's 11pm deadline.

Ill say it again, it is the manager, not "the club" suggesting this figure, such as ours has said "if a big offer cones in" etc etc, has no real bearing on what the "real" selling price may be, just lets suitors know early on, he eont be going on the cheap! Any manager worth his salt, would say similar??

It looks to me like both and I have read it several times.

I am sure the manager has the full backing of the board if you read it .

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am

This thread needs deleting city slapped a 12 million price tag on moore :lol: