Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Finland friendly: Whats the point?

Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Wales play Finland on September 1, Belarus on September 5 and Estonia in Cardiff on September 8. Why are we playing Finland ffs ,what's the point in getting our players injured.

Re: Finland friendly whats the point!

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:18 pm

These friendlies are "actively encouraged" by FIFA.

That basically means they are telling us we have to have a friendly to go with our two competitive games, it's the same for most other European nations.

The reason is that some countries will have three qualifying games over this period.

FIFA and UEFA want all the European nations to play three games during this international break. So those without three competitive games are told to arrange friendlies to make sure they're playing three games.

So it's not really done by choice by the FAW.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:19 pm

wez1927 wrote:Wales play Finland on September 1, Belarus on September 5 and Estonia in Cardiff on September 8. Why are we playing Finland ffs ,what's the point in getting our players injured.

Wez I questioned why friendly before competitive games and unfortunately its same for nearly every team in this international break playing friendlies amongst qualifying games only a couple countries playing all competitive games.... pointless excersise unless call playing reserve team worthwhile excersise?

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:36 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Wales play Finland on September 1, Belarus on September 5 and Estonia in Cardiff on September 8. Why are we playing Finland ffs ,what's the point in getting our players injured.

Wez I questioned why friendly before competitive games and unfortunately its same for nearly every team in this international break playing friendlies amongst qualifying games only a couple countries playing all competitive games.... pointless excersise unless call playing reserve team worthwhile excersise?

I could understand if we only had 1 qualifier but we got 2 ,I think its over doing it ,especially the wafer-thin squad we got .

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:36 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I could understand if we only had 1 qualifier but we got 2 ,I think its over doing it ,especially the wafer-thin squad we got .

The point is though, we don't really have a choice.

It's not a decision of the FAW, it's a decision of FIFA and UEFA.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:37 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:These friendlies are "actively encouraged" by FIFA.

That basically means they are telling us we have to have a friendly to go with our two competitive games, it's the same for most other European nations.

The reason is that some countries will have three qualifying games over this period.

FIFA and UEFA want all the European nations to play three games during this international break. So those without three competitive games are told to arrange friendlies to make sure they're playing three games.

So it's not really done by choice by the FAW.
i think it's over doing it tbh.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

All about money as far as those two corrupt organisations are concerned and sod what the countries want. :shock:

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:48 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

All about money as far as those two corrupt organisations are concerned and sod what the countries want. :shock:

Exactly, totally right.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Completely agree waste of time . Just play the two competitive games rather than risk players getting injured Wes apart from Ramsey who does that himself :lol:

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:24 pm

Surprised countries haven't started to confront Fifa and UEFA about the ludicrous scheduling. I'm sure I read that fifa wanted the third game in these windows to allow games between countries from different continents to help their world ranking balancing. When it's an extra game against Finland it's a farce. And then to Kazan!!!! Only a thousand miles further east than Belarus. Lunacy.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:38 pm

And now Ampadu. Cooper and Roberts have been refused visa's to enter Russia

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:52 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I see it as a break from football, as I won't be watching any of the international games :laughing6:

Just doesn't do it for me; but I wish Wales well and our players to come back injury-free :thumbright:

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:04 am

Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I see it as a break from football, as I won't be watching any of the international games :laughing6:

Just doesn't do it for me; but I wish Wales well and our players to come back injury-free :thumbright:

Me too.

Re: Finland friendly: Whats the point?

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:29 am

Pointless game. No wonder Gunter got to 100 caps with so many friendliest and countless substitutes.
Back in the day a friendly with Brazil in Cardiff, I think early 80’s, was a novelty and meant something to the fans; now they are just boring.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:34 am

Danny Says wrote:Pointless game. No wonder Gunter got to 100 caps with so many friendliest and countless substitutes.
Back in the day a friendly with Brazil in Cardiff, I think early 80’s, was a novelty and meant something to the fans; now they are just boring.

playing Brazil might have been a novelty but friendlies were not.... as for Gunter credit where it is due....maybe better off questioning how over 400 players world wide have more caps than he does yet none of out superstars are amongst them....

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:41 pm

No Ramsay or Rodon either

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Pretty weak team named.

And a pretty weak penalty there from Wilson.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Pretty weak team named.

And a pretty weak penalty there from Wilson.

Awfully weak penalty.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Not watching, couldn't give a shit to be honest.

Not a huge fan of international games as it is, others than major tournament finals, but a friendly like this is even less appealing.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Well, all you moaning Minnies missed a really good game. For the first time I've seen what Giggs and Page have seen in Dylan Levitt and Matt Smith. Thought they were excellent in the centre of midfield and I've previously been a critic of theirs. Gives me a bit of hope for the future if they can make even further progress.
Also, our boy, Colwill did very well when they put him on for the last half hour. Give him time and he'll be another international star.
Brennan Johnson too. A breakthrough game for him. Skinned the fullback for the penalty. Harry Wilson, penalty miss aside, had a good game too. The whole team passed the ball well and created some good chances with the worst possible preparation. Well done Wales.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 pm

moonboots wrote:Well, all you moaning Minnies missed a really good game. For the first time I've seen what Giggs and Page have seen in Dylan Levitt and Matt Smith. Thought they were excellent in the centre of midfield and I've previously been a critic of theirs. Gives me a bit of hope for the future if they can make even further progress.
Also, our boy, Colwill did very well when they put him on for the last half hour. Give him time and he'll be another international star.
Brennan Johnson too. A breakthrough game for him. Skinned the fullback for the penalty. Harry Wilson, penalty miss aside, had a good game too. The whole team passed the ball well and created some good chances with the worst possible preparation. Well done Wales.

we could have done with the win for ranking points to get a home game in the semis ...but eh oh didnt lose and can still win the group....