Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Breaking: ‘ Josh Murphy “

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:39 am

He s never really done much here ,good luck to him at Preston ,he LL be in the reserves there too I reckon

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:50 am

PNE will be sorry.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:36 am

Thank God he’s gone. What a waste of space. No heart no fight no desire.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:39 am

I think Josh Murphy will probably go down as our most disappointed signing in recent years. I remember I watched him play a game for Norwich and he was their best player in the game, I was thinking how good it would be if we could sign him.

Then I was surprised we went in for him and signed him, I had high expectations for him but he just didn't show any consistency.

High earner and flatters to deceive.

Our 4 options there this season are Bacuna, Giles, Colwil and Harris.

Giles has been great since signing and now its a opportunity for acadmey players (Colwil and Harris) to step up and fill Josh Murphy's place which I think they will.

We also have Gavin Whyte out on loan who will be back next year, and I still hold hope that he can come good for us.

I see a lot of disappointment from fans about our transfer window, but for me it's only disappointment if our fans expect us to challenge for automatic promotion with Fulham, West Brom and Bournemouth.

Our starting 11 can give any team a game on their day and lots of academy players getting game time is something to be happy about.

I think our squad has a outside chance of making the playoffs if Moore and Giles can stay fit all season.

But I think a mid table finish can be positive if we are seeing 4 or 5 academy players (Sang, Bagen, Bowen, Colwil, Harris, Issac Davies, Kieren Evans) can get plenty of game time and improve their game throughout the season.

If we can grow our academy players who are now involved with the first team then we can have a springboard for seasons to come and not just thinking about the short term (letting Josh Murphy block their development)

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:05 am

JJBlueDraggon wrote:I think Josh Murphy will probably go down as our most disappointed signing in recent years. I remember I watched him play a game for Norwich and he was their best player in the game, I was thinking how good it would be if we could sign him.

Then I was surprised we went in for him and signed him, I had high expectations for him but he just didn't show any consistency.

Giles has been great since signing and now its a opportunity for acadmey players (Colwil and Harris) to step up and fill Josh Murphy's place which I think they will.

We also have Gavin Whyte out on loan who will be back next year, and I still hold hope that he can come good for us.

I see a lot of disappointment from fans about our transfer window, but for me it's only disappointment if our fans expect us to challenge for automatic promotion with Fulham, West Brom and Bournemouth.

Our starting 11 can give any team a game on their day and lots of academy players getting game time is something to be happy about.

I think our squad has a outside chance of making the playoffs if Moore and Giles can stay fit all season.

But I think a mid table finish can be positive if we are seeing 4 or 5 academy players (Sang, Bagen, Bowen, Colwil, Harris, Issac Davies, Kieren Evans) can get plenty of game time and improve their game throughout the season.

If we can grow our academy players who are now involved with the first team then we can have a springboard for seasons to come and not just thinking about the short term (letting Josh Murphy block their development)

Good post :ayatollah:

It’s unfortunate that we’ve been lumbered with players from NW era including their wages.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:18 am

Pulisnewport wrote:
JJBlueDraggon wrote:I think Josh Murphy will probably go down as our most disappointed signing in recent years. I remember I watched him play a game for Norwich and he was their best player in the game, I was thinking how good it would be if we could sign him.

It’s unfortunate that we’ve been lumbered with players from NW era including their wages.

I also see a lot of people who are disappointed that we let go an 11 million asset go on loan when he can leave on a free transfer next season.

But I have to ask even if he had 3 or 4 years left on his contract does anyone think we could ever get a transfer fee close to what we signed him for?

and if he stayed not only are we paying his wages but he could be taking playing time away from Colwil and Mark Harris, 2 players that with regular game time could potentially command the higher transfer fee's that Josh Murphy cannot.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:20 am

Pulisnewport wrote:

This is such an important point. For all of the feel good factor Warnock brought at the time and the promotion, he didn’t half waste some money when he had the chance to spend it - off the top of my head:

Madine £6m
Murphy £11m
DR - £10m (which we got back)
Bacuna - £4m (at least he plays)
Glatzel - £5m

Add Tomlin, Flint (who now looks decent to a point) and others and that is close to £50m spent on players who haven’t really delivered for us.

Of course some of the frees were quality so he should be given credit for this, but that is a scandalous waste of money that is in part why we are where we are now. It’s a joint responsibility, but Warnock was always quick to praise the board in backing him so I can only assume these are players he wanted rather than ones that we forced on him.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:34 am

I’d say that despite my high opinion of Josh, if MM is not going to pick him then he needs first team football and if we have a new manager with different ideas next year , then this’ll “keep him fresh”.
He can’t play against us as the parent club but he can score goals and “do damage “ to our rivals the season. Pity of course that he won’t be scoring those goals for us, but I’m not the manager so we’re stuck with his ideas and- some may say- prejudices.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:30 am

Glad he has gone. Can be excellent in one game and rubbish in the next three. No doubt Warnock bought him on the basis he might develop some consistency but he never did. As well as the other names mentioned we can also try out the very promising Kerion Evans out wide. Looks like this is going to be the season of rebuilding mainly from the youth team some will succeed and some will fail.

If Tan is not willing to invest more money and I can't really blame him for not there is no alternative it is just as well it coincides with us having some really talented players at this level which we haven't had since the Dave Jones era.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:31 am

Glad he has gone. Can be excellent in one game and rubbish in the next three. No doubt Warnock bought him on the basis he might develop some consistency but he never did. As well as the other names mentioned we can also try out the very promising Kerion Evans out wide. Looks like this is going to be the season of rebuilding mainly from the youth team some will succeed and some will fail.

If Tan is not willing to invest more money and I can't really blame him for not there is no alternative it is just as well it coincides with us having some really talented players at this level which we haven't had since the Dave Jones era.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:40 am

RonnieBird wrote:I’d say that despite my high opinion of Josh, if MM is not going to pick him then he needs first team football and if we have a new manager with different ideas next year , then this’ll “keep him fresh”.
He can’t play against us as the parent club but he can score goals and “do damage “ to our rivals the season. Pity of course that he won’t be scoring those goals for us, but I’m not the manager so we’re stuck with his ideas and- some may say- prejudices.

keep him fresh ....its unkikely he will be coming back...its a 1 year loan and his contract ends next June...so unless there is a call back clause and it gets triggered we aint seeing him play for us again...

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:26 pm

Good luck to him, had plenty of chances hasn't really taken them, time to move on!

Things change quickly in football, he and Bennett were excellent when Mick came, no they are both gone, onwards and upwrds that's football :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Watch Murphy performances at Preston under a Manager who rates him and we will have to let him go on a free next June unless we get any bids in January along with many more of our Senior players! Another Warnock big money signing bits the dust!

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:38 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Watch Murphy performances at Preston under a Manager who rates him and we will have to let him go on a free next June unless we get any bids in January along with many more of our Senior players! Another Warnock big money signing bits the dust!

Well Warnock, Harris nor McCarthy couldn’t get a tune from him so good luck Preston.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Maybe he is not that good.

He had moments, but nothing to suggest the transfer fee or salary and that's always been the issue. We gambled and it failed

His twin brother is a good player and maybe that added to the expectation.

He is 27 in Feb, perhaps thats all we get from him. I few good games in his early 20's.