Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff City’s Alex Smithies to Sheffield United

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:35 pm

skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Murphy's contract ends 30th June 2022 there has been much interest in clubs wanting to loan him which is crazy, they need to buy him, as loan him for the season and then he moves on a free same for Smithies :banghead:

well if your not having offers to purchase getting the best part of 3 mill off the wage bill for 2 players who are not playing is the next best thing surely ?[/quote

Yes as long as the club that loans them pay all their wages and pay a hefty loan fee, then if at the end of their contracts they can go for free, will save us a lot of money :thumbup:

Re: Smithies to Sheffield United

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Nobody can deny someone of Smithies ability is not going to want to sit on the bench, and his wages are high.

To say we have Radcliffe however is a nonsense. Our philosophy therefore seems to be that every time we lose an experienced player we'll just chuck another kid in.

We will need a goalkeeping replacement adequate to cover as a first team keeper in the event of Phillips injury.

Sell, and replace with kids, sell and replace with kids, sell and replace with kids.....When I watch matches I want to see a first team, not an under 21 team that simply cannot compete.

If Tan gets his way mind, I'll be using my hard earned cash watching an u-19 or an u-17 team at this rate.

Let me just say it is NOT great to see youth coming through at the moment and I'm at the point of saying Tan is now taking his revenge at not being able to keep his beloved, and wretched red.

We need experience and need it NOW.

How many u23s has mick used this season in the league so far?

Not enough for Tans liking, and if MM won't play them, Tan will force his hand by selling experience meaning we will have to play them.

I used to love the transfer window.....

Used to love it...until Tan came along?

Why is that? Because we actually participate now.

Before Tan we sold a lot more players for a lot cheaper.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:40 pm

maccydee wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Nobody can deny someone of Smithies ability is not going to want to sit on the bench, and his wages are high.

To say we have Radcliffe however is a nonsense. Our philosophy therefore seems to be that every time we lose an experienced player we'll just chuck another kid in.

We will need a goalkeeping replacement adequate to cover as a first team keeper in the event of Phillips injury.

Sell, and replace with kids, sell and replace with kids, sell and replace with kids.....When I watch matches I want to see a first team, not an under 21 team that simply cannot compete.

If Tan gets his way mind, I'll be using my hard earned cash watching an u-19 or an u-17 team at this rate.

Let me just say it is NOT great to see youth coming through at the moment and I'm at the point of saying Tan is now taking his revenge at not being able to keep his beloved, and wretched red.

Not enough for Tans liking, and if MM won't play them, Tan will force his hand by selling experience meaning we will have to play them.

Neil,

We’ve hardly got many players left worth Much now to sell :lol: :roll: :lol:

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:42 pm

maccydee wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

What?

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Neil,

Sadly that is true mate but has been the case for a while.

Riddler sold all the Crown Jewels. Remember when he was desperate to sell someone, anyone to pay the tax bill?

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 pm

Igovernor wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Murphy's contract ends 30th June 2022 there has been much interest in clubs wanting to loan him which is crazy, they need to buy him, as loan him for the season and then he moves on a free same for Smithies :banghead:

well if your not having offers to purchase getting the best part of 3 mill off the wage bill for 2 players who are not playing is the next best thing surely ?[/quote

Yes as long as the club that loans them pay all their wages and pay a hefty loan fee, then if at the end of their contracts they can go for free, will save us a lot of money :thumbup:

its take what you can get .....save as much as possible... otherwise its a hell of a lot of money going out for 2 players unlikely to contribute..obviously if you can get a fee or all wages paid ..great but if not take wats on offer...

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:48 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Neil,

Riddler sold all the Crown Jewels. Remember when he was desperate to sell someone, anyone to pay the tax bill?

The Riddler sold all the the quality players / best players Cardiff had had for years left by Sam.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Neil,

The Riddler sold all the the quality players / best players Cardiff had had for years left by Sam.

I mean Sam sold a fair few players too.

But he did sign those players or give them an environment to develop them.

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 pm

"News Now" are reporting -

Roma have sent Sweden international goalkeeper Robin Olsen to Sheffield United on loan with an option to buy.

The shot-stopper drops into the English Championship, their equivalent of Italy’s Serie B, until June 2022.

Now 31, Olsen played for Sweden at UEFA EURO 2020 and has 48 senior caps for his country.

Does that mean that Smithies is staying?

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:56 pm

Scoularite wrote:"News Now" are reporting -

Roma have sent Sweden international goalkeeper Robin Olsen to Sheffield United on loan with an option to buy.

The shot-stopper drops into the English Championship, their equivalent of Italy’s Serie B, until June 2022.

Now 31, Olsen played for Sweden at UEFA EURO 2020 and has 48 senior caps for his country.

Does that mean that Smithies is staying?

Let's hope so as we need 2 good keepers for the rest of the season .

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:08 am

Barclay1 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

so..hypothetical ..if we were to move Smithies out and that allowed MM to bring in 2 x 10k a week players you would prefer one to be a keeper ?
id prefer to go with Radcliffe myself as the chances are he wouldnt play much anyway and strengthen our outfield....

We need so many, and we can now simply add a keeper to that list. As poor as Murphy has been poor during his time with us, we simply cant loan him and not replace.

Let's see what the next few hours hold. It is heart breaking as a Cardiff City fan seeing clubs strengthening with experience even by getting in free transfers while we rid ourselves of experience and quality and replace them with kids who will take us to the brink of relegation.

Moreso, let's offer them long term contracts...... it beggars belief, it really does.

Sam Hammam would NEVER let this happen to HIS club.

Can I ask, do you live alone? You don't seem much fun to be around! We KNOW you love SAM and detest TAN, we get it, but can you at least try and say SOMETHING that's not a dig at the club hierarchy? ?

And this was NEVER samsung club, he was a temporary landlord, as tan is currently, this club belongs to the fans, not financially of course, or through ownership, which some , maybe you included would love? There simply isn't enough interest fan wise, to achieve that dream,so we are stuck with temp landlords, some good, some bad, and some best not mention, for me, both tan and Sam have been two of the best, and in some people's opinions worst landlords we have had, together they could really take us tipo the place we crave, regular top flight football, with good, not average players, a decent forward thinking manager, and fans in their droves!! The only downside for me, is Sam would steal some thunder from tan, as he would be more front of house so to speak, and would immediately have his "worshipers " in place, yourself being one. :old: :bluebird:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:25 pm

No I don't live alone, I have Children and grandchildren. Im actually very amiable, and enjoy a laugh like the next man.

I love being at the CCS and supporting the club. It's a release from the humdrum, stressful life that many lead.

I will give credit where it's due, but at the moment, the board are giving us nothing to shout about, nothing to cling on to.

It upsets me as a fan of x years seeing other clubs, who have had exactly the same pandemic experience as us, and who have not been lucky enough to have the income we have had over the past years, spending sufficient money to compete.

.... and we don't. Rather we sell and do not replace. My biggest gripe is that we went best periods last year with no cover at right back, centre half, and striker. An owner that couldnt see that is living on another planet.

This year, we get rid of even more...

It annoys, frustrates, and upsets that an owner cannot see a club dying. Using a car analogy, he puts a fiver worth of petrol in a week, but disregards the burnt out engine.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:31 pm

Barclay1 wrote:No I don't live alone, I have Children and grandchildren. Im actually very amiable, and enjoy a laugh like the next man.

I love being at the CCS and supporting the club. It's a release from the humdrum, stressful life that many lead.

I will give credit where it's due, but at the moment, the board are giving us nothing to shout about, nothing to cling on to.

It upsets me as a fan of x years seeing other clubs, who have had exactly the same pandemic experience as us, and who have not been lucky enough to have the income we have had over the past years, spending sufficient money to compete.

.... and we don't. Rather we sell and do not replace. My biggest gripe is that we went best periods last year with no cover at right back, centre half, and striker. An owner that couldnt see that is living on another planet.

It annoys, frustrates, and upsets that an owner cannot see a club dying. Using a car analogy, he puts a fiver worth of petrol in a week, but disregards the burnt out engine.

what am i suppose to be doing to the engine.... oh..and i put more than a fiver in ,is that good or bad ?

Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:39 am

skidemin wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:No I don't live alone, I have Children and grandchildren. Im actually very amiable, and enjoy a laugh like the next man.

what am i suppose to be doing to the engine.... oh..and i put more than a fiver in ,is that good or bad ?

But surely engine management, in your analogy our team, should be "managed" by our "manager" as he is renting the car from the owner, therefore responsible for maintaining it to a level where it runs smoothly, with a yearly service? ( such as now).
In my opinion MM is another yes man, who knew what would be happening, especially after the pandemic, and knew qp0% there would be no funds available (more so with covid hitting)

I for one have been craving a "reset" and think we are quite fortunate to be in a position to try it in the championship, instead of it being a necessity due to being in a lower league through relegation. It seems covid may have brought it a bit sooner than expected, but for myself, it has been needed since the 1st relegation from the prem, but tan was still learning the game, and in my opinion, relied WAY to heavily on the manager, ogs, and especially warnock ,and his years of footballing knowledge, warnock in my opinion should have gone out in a blaze of glory, with the achievement of promotion ringing around the club, it was what he said about the premier league which caught my attention, the fact he said he never liked it there, and preferably would love the honesty" of the lower divisions, plus in my personal opinion he was pretty crap with spending money, and hab
Nding ou long rather lucrative contracts, to everyday average joe's in truth.and before people see this as a go at warnock, it is, but isn't, if you get my meaning.

But we missed the boat back then, and have found ourselves tedding water since, a couple of "close" calls with play offs was ok, but any honest fan would have admitted we were ill equipped to even compete at the op table, and without SIGNIFICANT spending, would be odds on to come straight back down again, with the same average joe earning big amounts, because nobody wants them, so we are stuck paying big money, all over again, at least this way, if we stay in this division, it will likely mean the youngsters have settled, and the team has gelled somewhat.
Of course it could go the other way, but we surely must try? Who in truth doesn't want a change of style of football? ( we have had dross for ages now) take away the promotion exited enter forr a minute, do you honestly deep down, KNOW we would be struggling all season? Of course we have had highlights along the way, as well as low points, but as has been said, we have had some fairly consistent safety of staying at championship level at the very least.we need to be able to transition at some point, and for me, maybe now the timing is right? As pointed out before, no team (bar relegated 3) are spending any sort of large fees for players, it's fine pointing out, even swansea managed to get one in, but how many good players did they lose??

We have lost players who were earning a wage here, without even being in the squad, people moan when tomlin, Vassell and even Murphy are "robbing" the club of a wage, for me, any player who doesn't make a match day squad, is also taking a wage too, not so much as robbing, but it still costing the club money, for no end product, so if we can offload even 50% of that on some other club, for me that's the correct thing to do.

I'm not sure MM is the manager to take the club in a new direction in all truth, he is too old school, if we are to move in a different direction on the pitch, we need a manager who wants to play that way too, MM for me, is unable to change tack, thus is not the man for the job.I will as I always do, judge his performance after 12 games or so,last year imho, he had a longer than usual "new manager" bounce, was it a coincidence that after getting a new deal, results went downhill? Or had teams sussed him out, and realised he is the same old " try not to lose" manager ? I was worried when he stated "if you can't win, don't lose" as he sets up so defence minded (especially at home) and that leads me to think, he doesn't believe we can beat sides, so sets up not to lose??

All this is my personal opinion, and I get not everyone will see things the same way, but it's just opinion. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird: