Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Well am not surprised

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:36 am

Since we last got relegated from the Premier I've been expecting us to get to this position. The position being where we give our Development players the opportunity play in the 1st team.

I suspected we would come down this track when we only invested in Championship players upon promotion to the Premier. My mindset has been set on this since then hence why I am not feeling disappointed. Even if we did get back to the Premier, we came close twice since being relegated, I could not see us splashing out to keep us there so in a way I'm glad we are where we are.

Now we are going through this transition at last, Tan has wanted this since arriving, The next 2 seasons are going to be telling. I'm not going to say its make or break time but its certainly is going to be a test if we keep our Championship status. At the moment I'm confident we will as I think our Development squad is strong enough. I've seen enough from it to say that. The question everyone should be asking, is this new business model one of survival or ambition?

Re: Well am not surprised

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:41 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Since we last got relegated from the Premier I've been expecting us to get to this position. The position being where we give our Development players the opportunity play in the 1st team.

I suspected we would come down this track when we only invested in Championship players upon promotion to the Premier. My mindset has been set on this since then hence why I am not feeling disappointed. Even if we did get back to the Premier, we came close twice since being relegated, I could not see us splashing out to keep us there so in a way I'm glad we are where we are.

Now we are going through this transition at last, Tan has wanted this since arriving, The next 2 seasons are going to be telling. I'm not going to say its make or break time but its certainly is going to be a test if we keep our Championship status. At the moment I'm confident we will as I think our Development squad is strong enough. I've seen enough from it to say that. The question everyone should be asking, is this new business model one of survival or ambition?

Ian you have said it every year.

Bound to be right eventually. A broken clock is right twice.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:54 am

maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Since we last got relegated from the Premier I've been expecting us to get to this position. The position being where we give our Development players the opportunity play in the 1st team.

Only since we did the business after we got promoted have I felt like this. These things take time to come through.

This clock is still ticking and proving me right. That must be a shock to your system.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:08 am

I believe it’s it’s ambition and definitely the way forward but it’s going to take a few seasons.
Hold on tight for a bumpy road.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:24 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Only since we did the business after we got promoted have I felt like this. These things take time to come through.

This clock is still ticking and proving me right. That must be a shock to your system.

You being right is a huge shock.

Barclay being right would be a bigger shock.

How are you mate?

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 am

We are all geniuses with the benefit of hindsight. I remember saying after we got promoted how I had predicted that one day we would be in the premier league and also that one day we would get back to Wembley (shortly before the playoff semi final)

Joking aside - more than happy with the additions to our squad this year. Sang looks more than comfortable in that position.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:38 am

by Bakedalasker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:36 am

Since we last got relegated from the Premier I've been expecting us to get to this position. The position being where we give our Development players the opportunity play in the 1st team.

I think it's the way forward. I think we should invest in getting to category 1 status and reap the rewards over time. Quite a bit of our investment in buying players has not worked out and cost the club a fortune, whereas the club should already know a lot more about players coming through from the academy, and any that don't perform regularly, such as Josh Murphy as far as I'm concerned, can be avoided.

While there may be a considerable cost in maintaining such an academy, there will also be income generated from subsequent sales, and it won't prevent the club from still buying some players if needed.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:27 pm

maccydee wrote:

I would be more impressed with those who claim to "have predicted the future" so accurately if they also pointed out their failings when getting predictions wrong.

It is a well worked trick talk about the one thing you got right and get the perception of being a genius ;)

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:17 pm

I am not surprised either, there are many contributors to this board who still think we are in the Premier League, I have said this previously the impact of Covid and the end of the parashoot payments have forced the club to take this route, if you look across the championship there is very little money being actually spend, except the clubs just down from the Premier League. The threat of FFP looms large for a number of clubs, just look at Derby or Shef Wed.

I am not saying what we got is the Man U class of 92 but if everything that is said of the youngsters is true then just maybe we will be in the position to give youth a real chance, BUT we have to be patient with these kids. I watched the game on Saturday and whilst there were times when both Sang and Bagan were caught out by more experienced players they only have about 20 appearances at Championship level each and we get our so-called key-board experts on here saying they are not up to standard. They both are outstanding prospects and throw in the likes of Colwill and Harris together with the other emerging
young talents then I believe the future is bright, so lets get behind these kids and roar them on to stardom and just maybe we will be seeing the "City class of 22"
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Whistler wrote:I am not surprised either, there are many contributors to this board who still think we are in the Premier League, I have said this previously the impact of Covid and the end of the parashoot payments have forced the club to take this route, if you look across the championship there is very little money being actually spend, except the clubs just down from the Premier League. The threat of FFP looms large for a number of clubs, just look at Derby or Shef Wed.

I am not saying what we got is the Man U class of 92 but if everything that is said of the youngsters is true then just maybe we will be in the position to give youth a real chance, BUT we have to be patient with these kids. I watched the game on Saturday and whilst there were times when both Sang and Bagan were caught out by more experienced players they only have about 20 appearances at Championship level each and we get our so-called key-board experts on here saying they are not up to standard. They both are outstanding prospects and throw in the likes of Colwill and Harris together with the other emerging
young talents then I believe the future is bright, so lets get behind these kids and roar them on to stardom and just maybe we will be seeing the "City class of 22"
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Excellent point with regard to FFP (aka Profitability & Sustainability). The rule of thumb is any one club cannot lose more than £13m in one season. It has been reported recently that CCFC is losing £1mpm mean we are on course to lose £12m during this year.

When it is put like that we have very little wriggle room and frankly no option but to promote academy players to the first team. The saving grace is most other Championship sides face the same problem.