UTTER MADNESS BY MICK McCARTHY SAYS HEAD OF

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:55 pm

UTTER MADNESS FROM McCARTHY TO LET MURPHY LEAVE SAYS HEAD OF SPORT

Says Paul Abbandonato ( Media Wales / Head of Sport Department)

Wednesday 1st September 2021

Josh Murphy has joined Championship rivals Preston on loan till the end of this season with Preston paying 50% of his wages.

By Paul Abbandonato

So McCarthy's one guarantee, it seemed, had to be Murphy - someone with pace, who can skin defenders, drop a shoulder, get to the byline, put in crosses for Moore and who, as a bonus, also possesses a lethal shot and goalscoring ability of his own.

Less than an hour before the transfer window closed, he was on his way out of the club. To Championship rivals Preston North End on loan.

Given no footballer at the club divides opinion as much as Murphy, the reaction from Bluebirds fans immediately fell into two categories.

Utter madness from McCarthy to let Murphy leave, given the dearth of forward quality available to him, say one camp.

Murphy has had enough chances, doesn't look hungry enough in a Cardiff shirt and the club are better off giving others a go, say the other.

Black or white, little grey area in between.

Whatever the merits of either case, given the lopsided make-up of Cardiff's squad and the desperate need for creative flair, surely the argument for keeping Murphy overrides the one for getting rid.

He definitely possesses the 'quality' McCarthy says the team lack, so could more have been done to utilise, harness and make the most of that undoubted ability?

To be fair to McCarthy, and hard though this may seem to believe, he's been a backer of Murphy and I'm told had more conversations with him than most players.

Big Mick's not stupid. He sees the talent; he's just clearly frustrated, as are the Murphy critics among the fan base, about seeing that come to match day fruition with any semblance of consistency.

McCarthy is also the one who sees Murphy day in day out in training and evidently there is something there he hasn't liked.

As such, Murphy has been restricted this season to just 12 minutes as a substitute when he scored in the Carabao Cup win over Sutton and 67 minutes from the start in the subsequent loss to Brighton.

When it comes to the proper business of league football, McCarthy has placed his trust in Bacuna delivering - even though he isn't fit to lace Murphy's boots as a player with creative prowess.

Three successive Cardiff managers appear to lack trust in Murphy, so there is a pattern developing here. Can they each be wrong?

On the other hand, has Murphy really been given a fair crack of the whip by Cardiff City?

He is clearly a confidence player, the type you need to tell, 'You are our main man, go out there, play, deliver and score goals.'

But how often has that happened?

This season, McCarthy's belief in Murphy has hardly been overwhelming as evidenced by brief cup showings.

Last year, he didn't get a 90-minute appearance in the league under either Harris or McCarthy.

The previous season he was afforded just four 90 minute showings in 29 games.

In the Premier League year under Warnock, Murphy got eight full appearances. Hardly a great number again, albeit a darned sight better than subsequently.

When he does play the 90 minutes, Cardiff actually tend to do quite well. Is that a mere coincidence? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Just before joining Cardiff, Murphy was a regular in the Norwich team and scored 11 goals, earning him that £11m move.

He's flattered to deceive with the Bluebirds; moments of genius here, anonymity there.

But when you know you are going to be substituted just as defenders start to tire in games, or you are a sub yourself getting a few odd few minutes here and there, that is hardly conducive to making a player who clearly thrives on confidence feel really wanted.

Yes, Josh Murphy should be offering more, but could Cardiff have got more out of him?

Indeed, is this the last we have seen of him as a Cardiff City player?
Attachments
A5E8F76A-DB46-46F7-B9AA-D6B97D4DF241.jpeg
A5E8F76A-DB46-46F7-B9AA-D6B97D4DF241.jpeg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
3F62FA3C-8592-452A-B37E-B11B5E3BF6B8.jpeg
3F62FA3C-8592-452A-B37E-B11B5E3BF6B8.jpeg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 10953 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: UTTER MADNESS BY MICK McCARTHY SAYS HEAD OF

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:02 pm

Big wage and not getting a look for whatever reason atm. No brainier.
Said in a few less words than PA.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Bigmarkw » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Lol.
Bigmarkw

Postby Escott1927 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Doesn't play and on a decent wage. So letting him go makes sense. But not bringing someone else in (in any position) is pretty shit particularly as the squad is small enough anyway without him an wintle going out.

I would have liked to have seen Murphy get a good run of games. He had a decent season in Harris' first season and it breaks me when I see Bacuna as a forward - absolute masterstroke giving him such a ridiculously long contract! He shouldn't be anywhere near the front 3.
Escott1927

Postby Bigmarkw » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 pm

He’s an awful manager nowadays. His best days are well behind him.
Bigmarkw

Postby skidemin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:26 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Big wage and not getting a look for whatever reason atm. No brainier.

im all for shipping out players that managers have no use for even ones i would keep if it were my choice ..... but it would be nice to have had a replacement...
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Big wage and not getting a look for whatever reason atm. No brainier.

im all for shipping out players that managers have no use for even ones i would keep if it were my choice ..... but it would be nice to have had a replacement...

I agree with that.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby New Day Rising » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Murphy never looked interested or committed to us , hope he has a great season and we get a fee for him .

I'd rather Ojo at least we had effort .
New Day Rising

Postby Griff » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:16 am

Whether or not we agree with Mick not playing Murphy, if he wasn't going to play him then sending him out on loan makes sense.
We don't really know the mechanics about the loan, such as when did Preston come in for Murphy? How much negotiation was there and when was it completed?
It isn't always easy to bring someone in, irrespective of position.
Griff

Postby bluesince62 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 am

Have to agree 62r, people clamouring for him to be given a chance, a run of games etc, are the same ones that were saying glatzel was shite, and to get rid! ! Well he contributed more goals than Murphy, and played far less games whilst here!! And for half the fee, and in an alien league to boot, at least he tried.can Murphy honestly say he has? He will probably shine for Preston, as he is neater to "home" seeing as that was one of the excuses I've heard for his poor form, as certain posters say "3 managers can't be wrong" :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby piledriver64 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 am

bluesince62 wrote:

Have to agree 62r, people clamouring for him to be given a chance, a run of games etc, are the same ones that were saying glatzel was shite, and to get rid! ! Well he contributed more goals than Murphy, and played far less games whilst here!! And for half the fee, and in an alien league to boot, at least he tried.can Murphy honestly say he has? He will probably shine for Preston, as he is neater to "home" seeing as that was one of the excuses I've heard for his poor form, as certain posters say "3 managers can't be wrong" :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Spot on !!

He didn’t perform when given chances by 3 managers, good move for him and us.

£11m wasted by Warnock, or are we blaming Tan and Dalman for this one too !!??
piledriver64

Postby Bonner » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:24 am

lin my opinion he had to go..
he has been given enough chances, I am sure it wasn’t the case, but at times he looked so dis interested when in the pitch.
He seemed to play when he wanted to play, not just McCarthty who could not get a performance out of him.
Best all round for him to move on,
Bonner

Postby Daicwmbran » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:28 am

So McCarthy's one guarantee, it seemed, had to be Murphy - someone with pace, who can skin defenders, drop a shoulder, get to the byline, put in crosses for Moore and who, as a bonus, also possesses a lethal shot and goalscoring ability of his own.

Murphy is capable of all these things without a doubt but rarely produces the goods.City have got this one right
Daicwmbran

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:40 am

Josh is an out and out forward, he doesn't want to do the dirty work. I am sure DJ would have worked out how to get him into the team and Warnock liked a simply 433 with pace up top. Mick wants us to keep it tight and nick one. If you can't win then don't lose.

Mick wants to play 3 center half two wing backs who are tacklers, trackers, and win aerial duels, 2 sitting defensive midfielders, a target man, and two attacking midfielders who don't mind doing the dirty work of protecting a "nil" scoreline...Josh isn't any of those.

We won't get relegated and the plus side is hopefully seeing a few of our kids make it
llan bluebird

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:12 am

New Day Rising wrote:Murphy never looked interested or committed to us , hope he has a great season and we get a fee for him .

I'd rather Ojo at least we had effort .

Hes out of contract in the summer so he will go free
BluebirdsTilIDie

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:53 am

Fronm what I can see Murphy is better placed to play in a fast paced quick passing team where he is running on to the ball. He is certainly a player affected by his confidence. He also gives the body language of a player that does not want to be here or play for for us.

A colossal waste of money all things considered, I doubt he will get any better going to Preston. Good luck to him - and thanks for not trying or bothering to better yourself
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby Igovernor » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:21 am

I really do not understand this deal, we still pay 50% of his wages and we have basically given him away, as at the end of the season long loan he is a free agent, why on earth did we not say to preston, you can have him on a free so you pay his wages. :banghead:
Igovernor

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:27 am

Igovernor wrote:I really do not understand this deal, we still pay 50% of his wages and we have basically given him away, as at the end of the season long loan he is a free agent, why on earth did we not say to preston, you can have him on a free so you pay his wages. :banghead:

100% agree with you Roger.

How the hell is this a good deal for us??
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby castleblue » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:33 am

Players come and go so on that basis I'm not shocked that Josh Murphy has left and let's face it he wasn't going to play so why be here. It's clear that the type of player Josh Murphy is will never fit into a MM team where room will always be made for the more tactically disciplined player or everything JM isn't. MM would rather play a square peg in a round hole, like Bacuna as a forward, than find a way of playing a free spirit like JM.

In his career to date JM has had only one manager, Daniel Farke, who really got a tune out of him and it should surprise no one that Alex Neil, Neil Warnock, Neil Harris and now Mick McCarthy have ALL struggled to get a tune out of him. It's not ALL down to managers Josh needs to look at himself as well because there is a player with real talent in there.

The fact we didn't sign a replacement tells me our club is looking only to survival this season, both on and off the field, and come next June there will be a massive rebuilding job as our 9 out of contract players are released.

MM has a huge job ahead of him and I don't envy him but right now he is probably the right fit for our club, Josh Murphy isn't the right fit and given our managers never was, so thanks for everything Josh and it's onwards and upwards.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby RageJon » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:41 am

Glad to see the back of Murphy

Not having a replacement set up ill be glad to see the back MM
Always Know If The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze !

Utrinque Paratus
RageJon

Postby bluesince62 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:14 am

Igovernor wrote:I really do not understand this deal, we still pay 50% of his wages and we have basically given him away, as at the end of the season long loan he is a free agent, why on earth did we not say to preston, you can have him on a free so you pay his wages. :banghead:

I do agree on this though, why not tell them to pay all his wage? Seems a tad stupid to me too, aa there is still 10k we are paying him,and he is elswhere playing.
That 10k could have paid another signing for us!! But I guess its better than 20k with him not playing at all??
bluesince62

Postby Blueberry Jam » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:44 am

PA, Murphy has been an absolute failure since he came to us. Overrated by many. Possibly the biggest waste of money ever by City. Hope PNE do not have the option to send him back when they find out he is crap.
Blueberry Jam

Postby skidemin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:53 am

we probably did start off looking for all his wages paid mate.... but when nobody is interested and your on a cut back crusade you save what you can....not something that hasnt happened before with both our players playing elsewhere and players coming here........
skidemin

Postby T1JMO » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:26 am

Good decision if you ask me! What has Murphy ever done? Doesn't work for the team like he should.

One hell of a waste of £11m + wages.
T1JMO

Postby MoodyBluebird » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:27 pm

castleblue wrote:Players come and go so on that basis I'm not shocked that Josh Murphy has left and let's face it he wasn't going to play so why be here. It's clear that the type of player Josh Murphy is will never fit into a MM team where room will always be made for the more tactically disciplined player or everything JM isn't. MM would rather play a square peg in a round hole, like Bacuna as a forward, than find a way of playing a free spirit like JM.

In his career to date JM has had only one manager, Daniel Farke, who really got a tune out of him and it should surprise no one that Alex Neil, Neil Warnock, Neil Harris and now Mick McCarthy have ALL struggled to get a tune out of him. It's not ALL down to managers Josh needs to look at himself as well because there is a player with real talent in there.

The fact we didn't sign a replacement tells me our club is looking only to survival this season, both on and off the field, and come next June there will be a massive rebuilding job as our 9 out of contract players are released.

MM has a huge job ahead of him and I don't envy him but right now he is probably the right fit for our club, Josh Murphy isn't the right fit and given our managers never was, so thanks for everything Josh and it's onwards and upwards.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Agree with everything you say with one exception. JM is not a free spirit, he's a freeloader.
MoodyBluebird

Postby Scoularite » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:41 pm

by piledriver64 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 am

bluesince62 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Big wage and not getting a look for whatever reason atm. No brainier.

Spot on !!

He didn’t perform when given chances by 3 managers, good move for him and us.

£11m wasted by Warnock, or are we blaming Tan and Dalman for this one too !!??

Infuriating, so much ability yet rarely seen and yes it must have been Vincent Tan's fault - no idea why but who else should we blame? He gets the blame for everything else.
Scoularite

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:13 pm

The writer of that is completely wrong in my opinion, but that's nothing new.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby stickywicket » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:22 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:The writer of that is completely wrong in my opinion, but that's nothing new.

Uncanny stats.Makes me wonder why we bought him in the first place.
2013–2018 Norwich City 85 (11)
2018–2021 Cardiff City 88 (10)

He was f*cking useless.I remember one game a fan was shouting at him to track back.Murphy looked at him mystified. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:
stickywicket

Postby mjw6150 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Because we save 50% of his wages when we were not going to play him. No way would Preston pick up his full wages.
mjw6150

Postby skidemin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

cost cutting and saving half a wage.... the headline is madness by Mick ...well i dont believe for one minute that Micks finger prints are on this..... fair enough if he could spend the savings
skidemin

Next

Return to General Chat