Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“I’VE GOT A LOT TO PROVE / BUT THIS STYLE OF FOOTBALL SUITS”

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:37 am

'I've got a lot to prove' - Cardiff City outcast Josh Murphy says Preston's style will suit him down to the ground after two years of little football

Cardiff City winger Josh Murphy made the switch to Preston North End on deadline day - with seconds to spare

With McCarthy having no plans to start Murphy and the board wanting cut backs Murphy was let go.

Preston will pay 50% of Murphy’s wages.

Murphy likes to go forward and McCarthy does not play the type of exciting football that works with him.

By Mathew Davies

Thursday 2nd September 2021

Cardiff City's Josh Murphy says he has a point to prove after sealing a season-long loan move to Preston North End.

The winger's transfer north happened right at the death on deadline day - with Murphy himself confirming the deal went through with just five seconds to spare.

The 26-year-old has barely kicked a ball over the past two seasons, in and mainly out of the team under Neil Harris and Mick McCarthy in the Welsh capital.

The Bluebirds' decision to let Murphy go has divided the fanbase, with no like-for-like replacement in City's ranks to speak of.

McCarthy's team is crying out for a creative player who can beat a man for pace and trickery - in theory the assets Murphy boasts, albeit on an inconsistent basis.

Now with rivals Preston, Murphy feels like it's a fresh start for him.

JOSH MURPHY:

"(I feel) really good. It was all a bit of a rush. I was delighted to get it all done with. It was five seconds to go to get everything submitted but I'm raring to go now," he said.

“I just feel like I’ve got a new lease of life at the moment. I can go and play football with freedom so I’m really looking forward to it. It’s going to be a new challenge for me but one that I’m relishing.

“I’ve got a lot to prove. I haven’t played a lot of football in the last two years or so, so it’s really a chance for me just to first and foremost enjoy playing football again, playing week in week out and just enjoy scoring goals and being there for the team.

“It’s going to be a completely different style to what I’ve been used to at Cardiff, but hopefully it will suit me down to the ground and hopefully I can hit the ground running and we have a good season.”

Enjoying his football is clearly something that Murphy places a lot of emphasis upon, and understandably so.

The former Norwich City man looks like a Premier League player when on song but those occasions proved to be few and far between in the blue shirt.

Being happy is what it is all about for the winger, he says.

“I think it’s massive,” he said. “If you’re enjoying your football then everything takes care of itself. The performances soon follow so as soon as you’re enjoying your football again then anything can happen so that’s just what I want to do.

“[I will] come in, work hard, fight for my place in the team and hopefully I can let my football do the talking and give the fans something to be excited about.”

Linking up with manager Frankie McAvoy was a factor in Murphy's move to Deepdale, with the pair having worked together during their time with the Canaries.

Familiar face Greg Cunningham is also up there and will no doubt help in terms of him settling in.

Asked if McAvoy had an influence, Murphy said: “It was a factor. I got a call off him yesterday and I was just like 'yeah, it’s a no brainer'. I want to play football and I’m sure it’ll be exciting to be working with him again and it’ll be an exciting season.

“I spoke to Greg because obviously we had such a good bond from our time at Cardiff so he was the first person I spoke to.

“Going in there, at least I know some people so it’s not going to be so daunting, but like I said I’m just so excited to get started and just enjoy my football again."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “I’VE GOT A LOT TO PROVE / BUT THIS STYLE OF FOOTBALL SU

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:42 am

Replies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “I’VE GOT A LOT TO PROVE / BUT THIS STYLE OF FOOTBALL SU

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:42 am

Reply FB: