Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff announce two more signings Cardiff City have announ

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:17 am

Cardiff announce two more signings

Cardiff City have announced two more signings to bolster their U23 Squad.

:bluebird: CARDIFF CITY ARE DELIGHTED TO HAVE CAPTURED THESE TWO PLAYERS :bluebird:

Friday 3rd September 2021

The Bluebirds have sealed the captures of former Brighton and Hove Albion youth winger Jack Leahy as well as goalkeeper Matthew Turner, formerly of Leeds United youth & Former Haverfordwest County, both players had been released by their former clubs.

Although the first team were relatively quiet on transfer deadline day on Tuesday, it has been a busy week for the youth set-up in getting these two deals over the line.

There was a clamour from Cardiff fans for the club to sign a forward player on Tuesday evening, especially with news gathering pace that Josh Murphy would depart on a season-long loan move.

And while it might not have been what City fans had envisaged, winger Leahy, 19, will certainly bolster the Bluebirds' forward options in the under-23s.

JACK LEAHY:

He said: "It's an overwhelming feeling signing for the Club and I'm ready to knuckle down and put everything into my time with Cardiff City.

"I'm looking forward to working with both Steve Morison and Tom Ramasut, they have a lot of experience and knowledge, and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot from them. Everybody has made me feel really welcome, and I feel like I've been here for ages despite having joined recently!"

It is perhaps a greater indication that we are likely to see more youngsters being drafted into the first team this season, with Morison and Co feeling they need to add in the forward areas with the likes of Kieron Evans, Isaak Davies and Chanka Zimba are all on the verge of getting their first-team call-ups.

Leahy scored for City during his recent trial period.

Turner, meanwhile, a goalkeeper from Pembrey who has spent all his youth career at Leeds, recently impressed while on loan at Haverfordwest from the Elland Road club.

He returns to his native Wales and will provide competition for George Ratcliffe and fellow summer signing Rohan Luthra.

MATTHEW TURNER:

Turner said: "It's a great feeling to get it over the line, having trialled over the last few weeks. It's a proud moment not only for me but for my family as well.

"The coaches have a massive amount of experience throughout the club, and it'll be really good to learn as much as possible from them. I'm looking forward to the opportunities that will arise from my joining Cardiff City, beginning with looking to play for the U23 side."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff announce two more signings Cardiff City have an

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 am

Haverfordwest County goalkeeper Matthew Turner in action Penybont v Haverfordwest County at Bryntirion Park in the JD Cymru Premier on the 2nd April 2021.

Former Haverfordwest County loanee Matthew Turner has joined Cardiff City after being released by Leeds United.

The 19 year old goalkeeper spent last season on loan at Cymru Premier side Haverfordwest County. Turner has put pen to paper on a two year contract which will see him join the under 23’s set up at the Bluebirds initially until 2023.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:28 am

JACK LEAHY 19yrs old this month was released by Brighton this summer has signed a two year contract with Cardiff City

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:23 am

Although these signings are positive for the U23 squad, I cant help thinking that it means Smithies will be leaving us by the end of the season.

We've got Phillips and Ratcliffe has been given a 1st team squad number
We've also signed Luthra and now Turner

The fact that Smithies was rumoured to head to Sheff Utd as well also fuels the speculation.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:59 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Although these signings are positive for the U23 squad, I cant help thinking that it means Smithies will be leaving us by the end of the season.

The fact that Smithies was rumoured to head to Sheff Utd as well also fuels the speculation.

I think they thought they would get money for Smitties, but his wage is massive so it was going to be a struggle.

All facts:

They can get all these type of players on £400-£450 a week including 8 in the first team squad.

Smithies is on well over £20,000 a week.

We are paying wages like Penybont in the Welsh League, 2 ex Cardiff U23’s signed for them this season they were in £400 a week at Cardiff, they now get £450 a week their.

The Committee’s plan is to eventually have the majority of the first team squad full of these type of players / wages.

We can only wait and see exactly how it works out this and next season???

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:05 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Although these signings are positive for the U23 squad, I cant help thinking that it means Smithies will be leaving us by the end of the season.

Smithies is out of contract at the end of the end of the season so its good to see the club are trying to prepare for that. He was on 30k a week in the prem, apparently. I'm massively surprised he is still here to be honest with all the cost cutting we have done this season.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 am

Escott1927 wrote:

Smithies is out of contract at the end of the end of the season so its good to see the club are trying to prepare for that. He was on 30k a week in the prem, apparently. I'm massively surprised he is still here to be honest with all the cost cutting we have done this season.

We have been over paying beyond, so are suffering from it, but that’s why we can’t get rid.

But we have gone from beyond to low low wages.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 am

Escott1927 wrote:

We have been over paying beyond, so are suffering from it, but that’s why we can’t get rid.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:02 am

Both say they are overwhelmed to sign for Cardiff City & so happy :bluebird:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:55 pm

there was a guy on here who said we were signing a kid from brighton. fair play.

no harm in stuff like this, 2 years should be long enough if they are any good, :thumbright:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

The club have wasted massive amounts of money. But this is the financial situation the club is in. The alternative is to keep spending money, pushing the debt up and risk breaking FFP rules. We are in a state of transition at the moment. The club will continue to get the high earners off the books and replace them with players on lower wages and on the cheap.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:00 pm

In a strange way the cost cutting almost makes you wonder if the club is now more attractive to youngsters. In so much as they can see more of an opportunity at being in the first team squad than they’d get elsewhere.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Matthew Turner who will be 20 years old soon, played an important role for Haverfordwest County in the Cymru Premier last season, making five appearances and keeping one clean sheet for Wayne Jones’ side, before the season was halted.
Turner had spent eight months on loan before returning to Elland Road who then released him this June.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

The club have wasted massive amounts of money. But this is the financial situation the club is in. The alternative is to keep spending money, pushing the debt up and risk breaking FFP rules. We are in a state of transition at the moment. The club will continue to get the high earners off the books and replace them with players on lower wages and on the cheap.

I 100% agree for 11 years the Board have wasted £millions upon £millions on some players I may say were absolutely a waste of time and it had to stop.

But they now need to be very very careful we don’t fill the squad with not just inexperience, but not Championship quality players as their will be only one way we will go if that happens.

We need to keep some quality and experience :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:49 pm

I Governor was right.

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:17 am

derynglas wrote:In a strange way the cost cutting almost makes you wonder if the club is now more attractive to youngsters. In so much as they can see more of an opportunity at being in the first team squad than they’d get elsewhere.

we sign players released by other academies all the time...its not new...

Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff announce two more signings

:bluebird: CARDIFF CITY ARE DELIGHTED TO HAVE CAPTURED THESE TWO PLAYERS :bluebird:

The Bluebirds have sealed the captures of former Brighton and Hove Albion youth winger Jack Leahy as well as goalkeeper Matthew Turner, formerly of Leeds United youth & Former Haverfordwest County, both players had been released by their former clubs.

Although the first team were relatively quiet on transfer deadline day on Tuesday, it has been a busy week for the youth set-up in getting these two deals over the line.

There was a clamour from Cardiff fans for the club to sign a forward player on Tuesday evening, especially with news gathering pace that Josh Murphy would depart on a season-long loan move.

And while it might not have been what City fans had envisaged, winger Leahy, 19, will certainly bolster the Bluebirds' forward options in the under-23s.

JACK LEAHY:

He said: "It's an overwhelming feeling signing for the Club and I'm ready to knuckle down and put everything into my time with Cardiff City.

"I'm looking forward to working with both Steve Morison and Tom Ramasut, they have a lot of experience and knowledge, and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot from them. Everybody has made me feel really welcome, and I feel like I've been here for ages despite having joined recently!"

It is perhaps a greater indication that we are likely to see more youngsters being drafted into the first team this season, with Morison and Co feeling they need to add in the forward areas with the likes of Kieron Evans, Isaak Davies and Chanka Zimba are all on the verge of getting their first-team call-ups.

Turner, meanwhile, a goalkeeper from Pembrey who has spent all his youth career at Leeds, recently impressed while on loan at Haverfordwest from the Elland Road club.

He returns to his native Wales and will provide competition for George Ratcliffe and fellow summer signing Rohan Luthra.

MATTHEW TURNER:

Turner said: "It's a great feeling to get it over the line, having trialled over the last few weeks. It's a proud moment not only for me but for my family as well.

"The coaches have a massive amount of experience throughout the club, and it'll be really good to learn as much as possible from them. I'm looking forward to the opportunities that will arise from my joining Cardiff City, beginning with looking to play for the U23 side."

Are these the 2 Igovernor signings?

Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:32 am

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff announce two more signings

JACK LEAHY:

MATTHEW TURNER:

Are these the 2 Igovernor signings?

NO Wez,

iGovernor aka Roger has put out and told me Tan at the last minute stopped McCarthy signing them due to wages. Tan has put a halt for now to any new signings.
Rogers words not mine.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:42 pm

Good Luck To The Lads :bluebird: