Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RUBIN COLWILL:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Cardiff City’s Rubin Colwill once again played for Wales last night :thumbright: :bluebird:

Aged just 19 yrs old :bluebird:

RUBIN COLWILL:

"When I was younger, you probably wouldn't think it now, but I was one of the smaller players in the team," Colwill said while on Wales duty.

"Then I had a bit of a growth spurt and I couldn't run properly, I was all over the place! I thought my legs were shorter than they were.

"It's just one of those things that, over the last couple of years, I've grown into my body, but I've got a bit more to go with settling in and knowing my size and knowing my body.

"It's definitely coming together now and it's helped me out a lot."

When it is put to Colwill that one of his former Cardiff academy pals had branded him "gangly", the forward simply laughed and replied: "Yeah, that's exactly what I would say as well!"

It's fair to say he has broadened out now, though. He is a towering presence on the pitch and he is now using that to his advantage.

The Wales international, who has two caps to his name following his cameo off the bench against Finland on Wednesday night, has someone very close by who knows what it's like to fill out and become that bruising, powerful winger.

Colwill has the luxury very few kids of his age have been afforded in being able to watch and learn from one of the world's best in his position over the last decade or so in Gareth Bale.

Bale once stood with a slight frame, certainly during his Southampton and Tottenham days, before he transformed into a behemoth at Real Madrid.

So, soaking up all the information he possibly can from him will only aid him as he continues his development on the pitch and, no doubt, in the gym.

"He's just so good," Colwill added.

"He is unbelievable. Just the way he plays and getting to train with him and seeing what the things he does, you just take so much in without even realising.

"The way he moves, the areas he picks up, what he does with the ball. There is no one better to learn off than the best player in the world and he is one of them."

The fact he is even in a position to learn from Bale, who has won everything there is to win and is widely recognised as one of the greatest British players of all time, is quite remarkable.

And though Colwill is insistent on keeping himself grounded, he did reveal he found it rather daunting when he first sought advice from the Wales captain after being drafted into the squad earlier this summer.

"It was a bit strange at the start!" he said.

"I was just used to seeing him on the TV and stuff and then, the next minute, I was walking down the corridor with him and chatting with him and stuff.

"It was a bit daunting, but he is a great guy."

Colwill will no doubt be trying to impress on the training ground, to back up his bright display off the bench on Wednesday evening in Helsinki, in a bid to turn out alongside Bale in Wales' qualifier against Belarus on Sunday, which would be his first international cap in competition after two friendly outings.

"Hopefully," he said. "I'm just going to do the best that I can and the gaffer picks who he picks.

"I'm happy with whatever is best for the team.

"It would definitely be nice to do that [earn his first competitive cap].

"We've just got to work hard now, win these next few games and hopefully we will all be there [at the World Cup]!"

Given qualifying rivals Belgium and the Czech Republic won their games this week, it might just ramp up the pressure on Page's men to win their games against Belarus and Estonia in the coming days.

But Colwill maintained that the focus remains inwards within this group and they will not focus on results they cannot change elsewhere.

"Every game is vital at international level," he said.

"The other results obviously affect where we are in the group but I don't think they affect what we want to do. We want to try and win every game and try and beat every team.

"The pressure is already there, we want to try and win the game. Focus on ourselves and not about other things."

Colwill repeatedly said that he is keeping himself humble and realises he is only at the foothills of what he, Cardiff City fans and Wales supporters hope is a successful career.

Mick McCarthy, his club coach, said he got a real kick out of seeing Colwill being named in Page's squad for Euro 2020, but the Bluebirds manager was also typically moderated when he said the player needs to nail down a starting spot at Cardiff first.

And, as Colwill looks ahead to World Cup qualifiers with Wales in the coming week, with the prospect of another promotion-chasing season with Cardiff on the horizon, too, the budding young star said he is squarely focused on racking up the games and minutes on the pitch this season.

"I just want to play as much as I can," he added.

"For young players, that's the main thing. I just need to try and get out on to the pitch and play as much as I can.

"That's where you learn the most and where it matters. So my goals is to just play as much as I can and do as well as I can when I'm on the pitch."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: RUBIN COLWILL:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:34 pm

His progression over the last year has been fantastic to see.

If he carries on like this, he could well be a regular in our team by the end of the season.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:41 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:His progression over the last year has been fantastic to see.

If he carries on like this, he could well be a regular in our team by the end of the season.

Ned,

I see Rubin as a future class player and well chuffed for him and our club :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Out of the other 7 I only see maybe one more.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:His progression over the last year has been fantastic to see.

Ned,

I see Rubin as a future class player and well chuffed for him and our club :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Out of interest, who is that?

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:18 pm

moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

Joel Bagan :thumbright: :bluebird:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:53 pm

moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Rubin has alluded to it himself but there is a word to describe his body shape and movement and that is 'coltish'. It was very noticeable during his cameo performance against Finland. Let's hope that as he physically develops, his game improves too.

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Rubin is in the starting lineup for Wales on Sunday :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

Not Tom Sang? I think he looks class - but would be more suited to midfield than right back.

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:54 am

Blue78 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

Not Tom Sang? I think he looks class - but would be more suited to midfield than right back.

at 22 is Tom Sang really a kid ? same age as Caulker and Mutch were in our first prem campaign and older than Zaha , Daeli, and Declan John........

Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:09 am

skidemin wrote:
Blue78 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

at 22 is Tom Sang really a kid ? same age as Caulker and Mutch were in our first prem campaign and older than Zaha , Daeli, and Declan John........

That’s interesting as everyone seems to see him as a youngster coming through.

Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Blue78 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
moonboots wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

That’s interesting as everyone seems to see him as a youngster coming through.

yes its strange how different players can be perceived so differently .....tom sang .. its cut him slack as he is just a kid learning { im not suggesting we do not btw } Zaha got no such slack yet was younger ?