Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lets give Wales credit

Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:13 pm

Belarus have a population three times that of Wales and lost by just the one goal away to the Czech republic earlier in the week. They are no mugs. Despite being without 13 players of which 6 would have probably started the game, we came away with a win. Bit fortunate maybe but a fantastic achievement that keeps us in with an outside chance of winning our group.

Re: Lets give Wales credit

Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Spot on ...,sometimes a win is enough....we struggled at times but not only players missing but several not played first team football for sometime ..
Getting outta Dodge with 3 points ...all that matters

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:45 am

I get the point being made but lets not gloss over it too much.We were second best against a poor side and the problems that have dogged us for a while still remain.Too ponderous going forward and woeful across the back.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:43 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I get the point being made but lets not gloss over it too much.We were second best against a poor side and the problems that have dogged us for a while still remain.Too ponderous going forward and woeful across the back.

The match stats don't say we were second best and the pitch was dreadful which doesn't help the flow of the game. :thumbup:

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am

Prefer club football to international football, but with so many players out, I just look at it that a win is a win is a win.

We did play poorly, not International standard by any means. I guess we are lucky it wasn't Belgium or Czech Republic we were playing.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I get the point being made but lets not gloss over it too much.We were second best against a poor side and the problems that have dogged us for a while still remain.Too ponderous going forward and woeful across the back.

I agree with all of this. But an ugly win is better than a draw. And Wales teams in my lifetime would’ve settled for the draw. I’m over the moon with the win but fuming with the performance. Massive improvement needed if we want to continue to be taken seriously.
In regards to the pitch I hope the FAW put in a complaint, not just the pitch but the venue itself. 1000 miles for Belarus, 3000 for us. Absolutely no need. There Must be hundreds of venues in Europe that would’ve better suited both sides.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:01 pm

Hope they don’t change the venue ....crap pitch won’t help the other teams ...Belarus might then get a draw and do us a favour

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Blueman39 wrote:Hope they don’t change the venue ....crap pitch won’t help the other teams ...Belarus might then get a draw and do us a favour

Very good point